Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    A 9x9 or 10x8 poly tarp is fine over a gathered-end hammock, bu it's not so good over a bridge hammock. I've even heard of someone fashioning a 20x10 poly tarp into a 12x10 hex, so there are a lot of budget options -- none of them as nice as a decent hammock-specific tarp.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    EE HG AHE
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by SectionHiker View Post
    I have not had grommets rip out of me in the wind in decades of car camping (we use tarps on top of tents during severe rains.....
    A tarp covering a hammock catches the wind like a giant sail. A tarp laying on top of a tent isn't the same. That's just my personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I used a poly tarp for a while before deciding to purchase a dedicated hammock tarp. Honestly, I never had an issue with the poly in terms of keeping me dry, or the noise. The grommets did stretch a bit, but never failed on me. I used a 9x9 tarp, and hung it in a diamond configuration- which provided plenty of coverage. It was also quite light. That said, I am glad I decided to upgrade to a more durable tarp.
    Nice. I just got the tarp from Tarps Direct and it weight in at 1lbs 10ounces! Sure it's big and bulky but space is a none issue.

I'm also think about ways to leverage the weight on grommets by using extra guy lines and keeping the tarp close to the ground. I might also glue the ridge line right to the tarp.

I like tinkering so this will be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by droidrunner View Post
    A tarp covering a hammock catches the wind like a giant sail. A tarp laying on top of a tent isn't the same. That's just my personal experience.
    Agreed/that's correct. I will find out how it works out (hopefully not the hard way).

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There have been many people that make hammock tarps out of the hardware store poly tarp material and then install webbing loops for the ridgeline and guy out points. Do a search here and you'll find several examples. As others have noted the main issue with poly tarps are the grommets that tend to separate from the tarp material when pulled tight.

Food for though there. The tarp in a hammock sleep system is your shelter. Do you really want to trust your comfort and safety to something so inexpensive and cheaply made? I know you've already bought your poly tarp, but for a couple more dollars you could get a PU coated ripstop nylon or polyester tarp like the Kelty Noah tarps, the Chinook 12x9.5 or the Hennessey Hammocks big hex tarp. This all have webbing tie out loops and are better quality.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    There have been many people that make hammock tarps out of the hardware store poly tarp material and then install webbing loops for the ridgeline and guy out points. Do a search here and you'll find several examples. As others have noted the main issue with poly tarps are the grommets that tend to separate from the tarp material when pulled tight.

Food for though there. The tarp in a hammock sleep system is your shelter. Do you really want to trust your comfort and safety to something so inexpensive and cheaply made? I know you've already bought your poly tarp, but for a couple more dollars you could get a PU coated ripstop nylon or polyester tarp like the Kelty Noah tarps, the Chinook 12x9.5 or the Hennessey Hammocks big hex tarp. This all have webbing tie out loops and are better quality.

Cheers

Brian
    All of the tarps you posted are as heavy as Poly tarp (fine 6 ounces lighter). Chinook has strap issues as well and others are 4-5 times the price.

Others have already stated that it was a none issue. To leverage the pulling weight I'm going to connect 2 or 3 others loops to each corner. This should lower the pull weight and spread the pressure points.

Besides life is a roll of a dice. I trust nothing and am prepared to deal with the worse. I like challenges and being out of comfort zone, I think it's important part of life.

: D
    Last edited by SectionHiker; 04-28-2017 at 10:45.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    It took me one trip (2-nighter) with a 12x10 poly tarp to decide to make my own tarp. However, on the poly tarp, I did sew webbing loops on all 4 corners, in the middle of each side so I could hang with a 12' ridgeline or 10' ridgeline, and along each edge to create doors. The loops are a great improvement over the grommets and I still use it for my daughter and as a loaner. Since pack size and weight are not issues, then use it as long as you want. My DIY tarp is also a 12x10, but it weighs about half of the poly tarp and packs to about 1/3 the size. I find it to be a significant upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by gfstanley View Post
    It took me one trip (2-nighter) with a 12x10 poly tarp to decide to make my own tarp. However, on the poly tarp, I did sew webbing loops on all 4 corners, in the middle of each side so I could hang with a 12' ridgeline or 10' ridgeline, and along each edge to create doors. The loops are a great improvement over the grommets and I still use it for my daughter and as a loaner. Since pack size and weight are not issues, then use it as long as you want. My DIY tarp is also a 12x10, but it weighs about half of the poly tarp and packs to about 1/3 the size. I find it to be a significant upgrade.

DYI tarp project will be on it's way in the future. For now, I need to get out and hang and get some experience under my belt!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12