Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images

My 1st real camping hammock set up.

Last summer I bought a $15 hammock with build in bug net (I live in Florida, must have bug net) from Groupon. This was my 1st venture into hammocks and on a week long kayak trip I packed it along as well as my usual Kelty Crestone 1 tent. I didn't really have any plan to spend the entire week using the hammock as my primary sleep system but that's what happened. Most sites just were not very tent friendly along the banks of the river and even the river camps I stayed at had hooks for hammocks. This year in anticipation of another week of kayak camping later this summer, I decided It would probably be a good idea to upgrade my sleep system if I was going to use a hammock for the entire week. I got lucky last year that it didn't rain since I did not have a tarp. My back up plan was the tent if it did. Well since then I recently purchased and tested a Hammock Bliss No Seeum No More hammock and a Eastern Ridge tarp. On the hammock I've modified the suspension system to regular straps with toggles and replaced the suspension rope with a pair of 7/64 amsteel woopie slings that I made with the help of a you tube video. The Eastern Ridge tarp came with end only dynemma ridgelines but I wasn't crazy about there length or trying to tie tauntline hitches in such a slick cord so I picked up 30' of dacron cord, added a small s binner to one end, prussic knots for tensioning the tarp and a figure 9 carabiner to tension the ridgeline. The extras really make setup fast and easy. This site and Shug's videos have been a great source of information and I look forward to "hanging" around. I did learn quite a few things on my little 2 day camping test especially about the importance of treating the hammock and tarp with Permethrin. I still have bug welts on my hinny from the skeeters biting through the bottom of the hammock and I should have brought a heavier sleeping bag. It was a cold restless night.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Throw your ground pad in and get to it again.
    Whoooooo Buddy))))
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    Keep messing around with your set up and soon enough you may be thread injecting a big 12 footer or purchasing a set up from one of the many vendors on HF. Try and get to a group hand too. That is something I regret not doing early in my hanging process. Would have saved me a ton of money!

• + New Posts