Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool DIY OutdoorINK Synthetic Summer Top Quilt ("Tiger Stripes")

Type/Rating: 40-degree F synthetic top quilt
    Outer Shell: RBTR OutdoorINK 0.9 oz MEMBRANE 15 poly taffeta in "Tiger Stripes" (Bengal)
    Inner Shell: RBTR 1.1 oz ripstop nylon in Black
    Insulation: Climashield Apex 3.6
    Construction: Rectangular (no taper), snap footbox with drawcord closure and security tie
    Finished Size: Approx. 80" long x 57" wide
    Weight: 20.5 oz (580 grams)

"Game-changer" is a phrase you often hear applied to Ripstop by the Roll's OutdoorINK product line of custom on-demand digitally printed high-tech outdoor fabrics and components since its introduction last year. Now in the hands of enthusiastic DIYers and cottage vendors for many months, we have seen a growing wellspring of colorfully patterned OutdoorINK gear -- in patterns from subtle camouflages to wild paisleys -- grace the pages of Hammock Forums and crop up on the trail.

I am fortunate to have been part of Kyle's cadre of OutdoorINK designers from the inception of the product line, and I find designing outdoor fabric patterns for Ripstop by the Roll to be one of the more rewarding ongoing projects in which I'm involved as a graphic designer. I try to put a lot of time, research, and creative energy into developing original patterns specifically designed for the OutdoorINK product line, not only because I find it to be a fascinating medium with unique design challenges but also because I am continually inspired by the wonderful projects shared here by the endlessly creative HF DIY community.

I made this synthetic summer top quilt from an RBTR OutdoorINK fabric printed with my own original design. It is a pattern simply called "Tiger Stripes", the first in a series of animal hide patterns on which I've been working over the winter; unlike so many commercially available patterns that merely suggest or approximate tiger stripes, for this graphic I studied and vectorized detailed photographs of an actual Sumatran tiger skin to try to capture the unique fingerprint-like pattern of an individual animal representative of this species. Presently, there are six color variants for this design on the RBTR website. (This specific color variant is called Bengal.) The "Tiger Stripes" pattern is an original full-width linear yard design without repeats or reflections; it was vectorized by hand with a high level of detail and individual variation designed to give it depth, texture, and character. They were designed expressly for RBTR's OutdoorINK product line with versatility in mind, and they should be suitable for hammocks, quilts, stuff sacks, or any other hammock and outdoor gear applications you can dream up.

The RBTR MEMBRANE 15 poly taffeta upon which the design is printed is a great fabric. It's lightweight (under 1 oz per sq yd), calendared, downproof, and perfect for crisp digital printing. It makes a beautiful and practical outer shell for a top quilt or underquilt. It is extremely easy to sew compared to other lightweight calendared fabrics with which I've worked.

My synthetic top quilt design was very simple, but I did strive for precision, good cosmetics, and nice practical details. I cut my materials to appropriate dimensions as follows:

* MEMBRANE 15 outer shell 60" wide x 86" long
    * 1.1 oz ripstop nylon inner shell 59" wide x 92" long
    * 1.5" grosgrain bases (2) for snap footbox each 16" long
    * 1" grosgrain security ties (2) each 20" long

I wanted to build this top quilt with integral end channels to form the footbox and cinch the neck, so I cut the inner nylon shell long and pre-sewed the two short edges. To form a channel on each end, I folded the corners of the shell blank in 5" toward the "right" side (when finished) and clipped it into place with quilting clips. Then I folded the entire channel in half parallel to the short edge of the blank, forming a 2.5" wide tube for the drawcord, and stitched it into place with a single row of Mara 70 thread. I repeated the process for the other end of the inner shell blank to form the second integral channel.

After sewing, the inner shell blank was 82" x 60", which left me with an inch or so on each side to wrap up around the Climashield insulation during asssembly as a "glide strip" for the sewing machine presser foot. In similar fashion, the outer shell of MEMBRANE 15 was 2" longer than necesary on each short edge to provide a similar excess to aid the progress of the presser foot.

To assemble the quilt, I laid the nylon inner shell blank face up with the end channels folded inboard toward the center of the fabric. Then I positioned the four grosgrain ribbon pieces and secured them to the shell blank with masking tape, taking care to keep them out of areas where my seams would run. Next, I laid the MEMBRANE 15 outer shell face down on top of the inner shell blank, allowing the "glide strips" to run past the top and bottom edges. I positioned the Climashield Apex insulation on the top of the materials stack, folded the strips up around the entire perimeter, save for a 20" wide section at the midpoint of the foot edge of the quilt, and pinned the layers in place with extreme care every 4" along the edges. I took the pinned quilt to the sewing machine and, starting at one side of the open foot-end gap, stitched clockwise around the entire perimeter of the quilt about 1" in from the edge, making sure to avoid puckers and to capture a good thickness of insulation as I went. Then I inverted the quilt and sewed across the foot-end gap to achieve closure. I finished off the footbox with a series of four KAM snaps at 5" intervals, and I threaded drawcords through the two end channels, installing cord locks to allow for cinching.

Total build time was a surprisingly efficient 3 hours. Project cost came in at about $85 for all materials. Weight comes in well under 21 ounces, and the snap/drawcord footbox gives me the flexibility to use this quilt as a casual blanket (laid flat) when I'm not on the trail. This was a fun, easy project, and I expect this quilt to serve me very well for three seasons this year. It will be the ideal complement to my matching OutdoorINK HyperD hammock and OutdoorINK MEMBRANE 15 underquilt protector.

Please feel free to inquire or comment below, and thanks for reading this project report.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-26-2017 at 20:20.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Very nice! It's like a Dana Brown Safari Quilt!

mathineer

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Exclamation DISCLAIMER

This DIY project report was submitted to this forum for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. Use any methods, ideas, or inspirations contained herein strictly AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any injury or harm that befalls others owing to information presented here, and I accept no responsibility for any errors the post contains.

I do not in any way advocate that others should do anything I have presented here; this thread is strictly DOCUMENTATION OF FACT. Readers beware.

There is a lot of great information on Hammock Forums available from members with much more substantial experience, better ideas, and better methods than mine. SEEK IT OUT.

Thank you for your attention.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    Very nice! It's like a Dana Brown Safari Quilt!
    LOL Thanks!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    LOL Thanks!
    kitsapcowboy you've doubled up great works of beauty and utility---outstanding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I just ordered green Dragon scales in the membrane and noseeum.

This is really neat stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That's a beauty.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    kitsapcowboy you've doubled up great works of beauty and utility---outstanding!
    Thanks, PG!

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    That's a beauty.
    Much obliged

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman_atl View Post
    I just ordered green Dragon scales in the membrane and noseeum. This is really neat stuff.
    Justin's "Dragon Scales" is probably THE most popular OI pattern RBTR sells, and it is awesome. I myself have several new OI fabric patterns I am hoping Kyle adds to the website soon now that their move is complete. I also created a graphic for RBTR to print this "Tiger Stripes" pattern as a Double-Ended Stuff Sack Kit, which also serves as a handy color sampler for six variants...

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-27-2017 at 12:45.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Construction Diagram

Relative positioning of components in the top quilt materials stack

Red -- Outer shell
    Orange -- Inner shell
    Blue -- Insulation (Both shells get folded to this size as described above)
    Black -- Grosgrain
    Purple -- Finished dimensions (TQ is stitched along this path)

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Thumbs up Overnight Test

Took this quilt all the way down to 40 degrees last night and slept well. So far, the KAM snaps work really well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast