Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs

Any Dutchware Half-Wit Hammock experience/reviews?

I'm looking at purchasing the Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.0 hammock. I love the weight of it. I like the bug protection.

Currently I am using a Eno Doublenest. I like the feel of the fabric. I'm not familiar with Hexon. How does it behave (stretch, breath, feel on skin, handle moisture) compared to the taffeta?

I have read pros and cons to the bug net. I think I can deal with the cons.

More comments are appreciated. Thanks.
    Deadrise, Derailleurs, & Dirt

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I have the Half-Wit in Hexon 1.0 as well as an ENO Doublenest. The Hexon 1.0 definitely has some stretch to it. It feels quite soft next to the skin. I'm 220# for perspective.

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    My son has the half wit in hexon 1.6. Loves it. I have a diy in hexon 1.6. Feels great, hardly any stretch, not sure about moisture. I only use it for lounging (sleeping is for my ridgerunner).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly XL
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Straps for now....
    I have a Dutch Netless in hexon 2.4. I also have an ENO, and had the same initial concern regarding fabric feel.

Fear not! The hexon feels great and is stronger than ENO nylon taffeta.

It's obviously a half bug net, but the assumption is that you will have the rest of your body in some lightweight sleeping bag or pants. You should check out Shug's YouTube review of the half-wit. He seems to give it his approval.

Other benefits of the half-wit: it comes with knotty mods that allow you to create a virtual foot box if you like. The price is right. Go Dutch!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I would venture a guess that the Dutch Half-Wit will probably be an improvement over your ENO in every way. I considered the Half-Wit myself, but in the end, decided against it. The main reason is that I sleep very hot, and many nights, I have to kick a leg out of my top quilt (or ditch the quilt completely) to cool off. The Half-Wit would have left me exposed if I did this. If you don't see yourself ever having to kick a leg out to vent, then it will probably be a great hammock for you.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Honest review of the half-wit, I have a 2.4 hexon version, material is soft like your favorite pair of denim jeans, a little stretchy but like a good pair of jeans you want it to just a little. The lay, it's fine, not the worst, but there are better out there. Price, fair, your get what you pay for, it is not an expensive hammock so don't expect all the bells and whistles, it was designed to be the fit between a day hammock and a multi over night camping hammock IMO. Cons, the net, I had to change the way it was secured on the very first lay, the knot slipped and shot the bungee and hardware in to the sky like water escaping in a pool from a giant cannon ball off the high dive. The way it was looped was crap, so I burned a hole with a hot needle through the grossgrain ribbon on the net and secured it with a micro cord-lock on the inside, 100% improvement. the other con about the net is it is about 8 inches too long where it secures to the hammock, so when you lay on top the net in the hammock it feels as if you may tear it. And I wish the spring vader cord-lock was a little more grippy on the slick zing it ridge-line. The knotty mods are great, the stuff sack was just a random sack, (didn't match anything). and the Weight of the set up is silly light.
    So if your looking for a minimalist hammock at a weight savings that is a good quality but lacks some of the fit and finish if you will, It may be just what you need.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    Honest review of the half-wit, I have a 2.4 hexon version, material is soft like your favorite pair of denim jeans, a little stretchy but like a good pair of jeans you want it to just a little. The lay, it's fine, not the worst, but there are better out there. Price, fair, your get what you pay for, it is not an expensive hammock so don't expect all the bells and whistles, it was designed to be the fit between a day hammock and a multi over night camping hammock IMO. Cons, the net, I had to change the way it was secured on the very first lay, the knot slipped and shot the bungee and hardware in to the sky like water escaping in a pool from a giant cannon ball off the high dive. The way it was looped was crap, so I burned a hole with a hot needle through the grossgrain ribbon on the net and secured it with a micro cord-lock on the inside, 100% improvement. the other con about the net is it is about 8 inches too long where it secures to the hammock, so when you lay on top the net in the hammock it feels as if you may tear it. And I wish the spring vader cord-lock was a little more grippy on the slick zing it ridge-line. The knotty mods are great, the stuff sack was just a random sack, (didn't match anything). and the Weight of the set up is silly light.
    So if your looking for a minimalist hammock at a weight savings that is a good quality but lacks some of the fit and finish if you will, It may be just what you need.
    I feel as though my Eno doublenest as minimalist as they come (just a generic fabric hammock). Would I be correct? If so, then the half-wit would be an upgrade.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiseddie View Post
    I feel as though my Eno doublenest as minimalist as they come (just a generic fabric hammock). Would I be correct? If so, then the half-wit would be an upgrade.
    Yes, better design, better fabric, better costumer service.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Done. Dutchware site just came back up. The hammock and some new straps are ordered. Now I have to wait.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly XL
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Straps for now....
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiseddie View Post
    Done. Dutchware site just came back up. The hammock and some new straps are ordered. Now I have to wait.
    You won't be disappointed. Dutch makes an awesome product for the price.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast