down throw project questions and designs.

Hey guys.

I have a new project to attempt and need some help with it. My project is to modify a down throw into a top quiit rates to about low 30s.

I have a down sleeping bag that I am going to pick open to steal some down for the project.

How much down should I pull out to make the throw have the tempeture range of about 30?

Also. What method would be the warmest on making the top quilt? Should I cut two baffles and use them to create a traditional foot box using a sewing machine.
    Or.
    I saw a method of just sewing the blanket as is. Kinda sewing half up and than across the bottom for a foot box.
    Or
    Snaps.

I do not have the greatest sewing skills but I can probably nanage to cut baffles and re-use to bottom as a foot box.

If I do cut and sew, how much down should I add to the foot box out of the total amount to use on the quilt?

Ps. I am going to rip out cross baffles to add warmth.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post
    Hey guys.

I have a new project to attempt and need some help with it. My project is to modify a down throw into a top quiit rates to about low 30s.

I have a down sleeping bag that I am going to pick open to steal some down for the project.

How much down should I pull out to make the throw have the tempeture range of about 30?

Also. What method would be the warmest on making the top quilt? Should I cut two baffles and use them to create a traditional foot box using a sewing machine.
    Or.
    I saw a method of just sewing the blanket as is. Kinda sewing half up and than across the bottom for a foot box.
    Or
    Snaps.

I do not have the greatest sewing skills but I can probably nanage to cut baffles and re-use to bottom as a foot box.

If I do cut and sew, how much down should I add to the foot box out of the total amount to use on the quilt?

Ps. I am going to rip out cross baffles to add warmth.
    I'd question the ability of a sewn through design reaching a 30° rating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    A double layer would work better and save time and mess from transferring down. I used one down to 22*F with no problem

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Unless you're a HOT sleeper, you won't be able to take one of those down to 30. And as mentioned above, doubling these can get you there. My friend made an UQ - he cut two down to ~2/3 and ripped the seams one way, offset the two quilts so the chambers of one nestled into the sewn-thru seams of the 2nd quilt. High 20s were no problem for him, and he's a "normal" sleeper.

A top quilt done similarly would be very warm. Heavier, yes. But warm.

Hey guys.

sorry for the poor description, I was using my phone to type all of that.

What I was going to do is over-stuff and seam-rip. But I was not sure what is the best way to create a foot-box on this TQ. I saw someone cut two lengths off, and split that to add length & create a foot box square.

I also saw people using snaps.

I just wanted to know if they both technically work the same, or if there is any major flaws with the snap method. I don't have a lot of time to sew, or sewing skills, but I can wing it. ( already made snake skins, and bug net fonky style )

Also: In order to add down after seam ripping, etc, How much down should I add? I don't have to get to 30, but I would like too sense that is a basically three season camping.

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    I just finished 1 with snaps ,after seeing jellyfishes video ,it was a snap to follow ( could not resist ) easy as it gets ,plus you can till use the throw as a blanket if you wanted
    always use tree straps please

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    here is the link she does great easy to follow videos, on just about most thing hammocking ,and is a great with all sorts of sewing projects https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk4emMm_Pfs
    always use tree straps please

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    MIGHT help: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...11#post1775811

Message #316 there.

I've done same/similar to a TQ with good results.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    I've found in my experiments with this project that adding down (harvested from another bag, a coat from goodwill, etc.) is way more hassle than it is worth. When the throw is cut down to TQ width and seam ripped you already get an overstuffed effect, and any more down is really packing in there too tight. Plus, since they are sewn through the added loft can only add so much warmth since the seam areas will not have any insulation.

As far as footbox construction, the snaps are the easiest but sewing is going to produce a more "polished" end product in my opinion and be slightly lighter.

These, unless doubled up as others have described, seem best suited for slightly cold summer use (minimum 45 degrees I would say).

Good luck with your project!
    The want of wandering, and a welcomed whimsy.

• + New Posts