Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

best way if possible to set up hammock on a stony beach with no trees/big logs etc?

Hi all ..my first post on here so hello from devon in the UK
    we have a fair few beaches here albeit a bit chilly and i'd like to relax on some of the more remote ones away from the masses who frequent anything with sand. Just wondered whether it's possible to set up a hammock on an open beach ..could be sand and stone ..but more often lots of pebbles. Is there a well known method when you don't have large solid structures to attach/anchor to? Seen a few ideas online but thought i'd ask the experts .
    thanks in advance
    Bill

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums. Check out these posts on portable hammock stands. One of these should work for you.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=hammock+stand

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Here's a link to a DIY stand that I plan on building and using at the beach later this year. To me, beach hanging is the holy grail of hammock hangs!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Free...Hammock-Stand/

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Beings that your in the UK, DD hammocks has a portable hammock stand that you could check out. It uses 2 poles and a series of lines and spikes to secure it to the ground. Not sure how well it would work in sand, but its worth taking a look I'd think. If you search the DD hammocks sub forum here, im sure you could find a few posts on it and maybe ask some people who have one about your intended use to see what they think. I believe its under £100 too.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Here's a link to a DIY stand that I plan on building and using at the beach later this year. To me, beach hanging is the holy grail of hammock hangs!

+1 on that Johnspenn ! I still wanna put a hammock stand on a boat and really take it to the next level. Nothing crazy but not ugly and half@$$ed either.... Maybe more like a floating swim platform, but with a hammock stand and small tarp like what comes with a HH. That would be PERFECT .....I think I just gave myself a new spring project, and I already have the floating swim platform too!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post

thanks for that ..looks nice and light and portable but I'll still have the problem of anchoring the supports in sand or pebbles!

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Beings that your in the UK, DD hammocks has a portable hammock stand that you could check out. It uses 2 poles and a series of lines and spikes to secure it to the ground. Not sure how well it would work in sand, but its worth taking a look I'd think. If you search the DD hammocks sub forum here, im sure you could find a few posts on it and maybe ask some people who have one about your intended use to see what they think. I believe its under £100 too.
    yes ..seen that ..called the handy hammock stand ..looks like one of few options that might work.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willywombat View Post
    thanks for that ..looks nice and light and portable but I'll still have the problem of anchoring the supports in sand or pebbles!
    Make your stakes extra beefy. No reason they shouldn't hold in sand as long as you have them nailed in good. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willywombat View Post
    yes ..seen that ..called the handy hammock stand ..looks like one of few options that might work.
    I have the older Handy Hammock model and it does work quite well on sand with the longer stakes. I don't know how much the design has changed, though. Also, I'm only ~60kg so I don't know how well the stand works on lose ground with heavier people.

Another thing: rocky ground or ground with lots of pebbles is not ideal. In order to hold your weight, all stakes need to be deep in the ground. It's a PITA if you already sunk 2 stakes but the 3rd keeps hitting stones...

Hammock
    WL NightOwl
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    AHE UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/DutchBling
    For stakes, the Alamosa Anchor by RaftingTigger seems like the start of a good idea: http://www.tiggzcraftworkz.com/produ...a-anchors-pair

As designed, I'm not sure those would work well for pebbly ground. When I look at it, I would probably craft some 30mm pipe and rod solution for this to go into the ground, and I would cut the bottom half of the pipe in half so that there is a concave surface taking the pressure, scooping against the pebbles for the best hold. The top of the pipe would remain intact for better leverage on the rod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast