Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Bug net & Ridgeline Questions

Hi folks,

With warmer weather around the corner, I'm wondering what people's favorite bug net setups are for their netless hammocks. I personally have an ENO that I need to get a net for to avoid early summer New England bugs. I'll eventually have my Chameleon, but I'll still need a spare setup to bring friends hiking.

So far I've looked at the guardian SL bugnet by ENO. For some reason the website hashtagbikes.com has them for 35$ and free shipping, so this seems like a steal. Otherwise REI has them for $45 with no wait for shipping and %10 back on next year's dividend. Also listed at 13oz.

The other option seems to be the summer sock in my eyes, at a little over $60 including prompt shipping. Part of me thinks that the 4oz weight savings and the wind-resistant portion is worth the extra money in terms of utility, but if it is delicate or harder to use then it'll be tougher to use as a loaner.

Can I get people's thoughts on the subject, and what value judgement they found best(including other options)

Second, just to lump this in with the post, I'm wondering what material people use for their ridgeline, and what length if they use an ENO double nest. I'm 6' if that matters (obviously I'll fiddle with the length myself as well eventually)

Thanks for any advice. I'm looking forward to the warmer months of backpacking, canoeing, and introducing friends to hammock camping!

I ended up going with a bottom entry bug net/sock from Jared over at SLD. It costs a bit more than the Eno option, but weighs less and is far more functional. I have found bottom entry to be most effective in avoiding insects, especially here in the South. What I really like about Jared's design is the inclusion of a wider drawstring opening on one end so it can be slid out of the way for lounging. Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/492

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Making a Fronkey style bug net is a very, very easy DIY project. The material will cost you under $25. I put two drawstring channels on the ends for easy on/off and cinching it tight around my hammock suspension. I just ordered the nano no-see-um from Dutch not 1/2 hour ago for making a second one for the wife's hammock as she is now actually wanting to hang outside with me more!

Check out how to make one from Fronkey himself in this quick and fun video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfEM6yEO268

As you can see, it even keeps out the cutest skeeters there are! They sure grow 'em big up Fronkey's way!

I use Zing-it/Lash-it with two 2" fixed eyes on each end (essentially, a long dogbone) for my SRL. Start with the tried and true 83% of your hammock body length and go from there. Lots of first time SRL makers use an adjustable RL to dial in their comfort zone, and then either convert it to a fixed, or make another that is fixed.
    Last edited by DannyII; 04-24-2017 at 15:37.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    If you do a you tube search for cryptic cricket's cheap bugnet, it is basically a bottom entry bugnet that you make from a pair of black sheer curtains. Made one a couple weeks ago and it cost me all of $10! Works perfect, and the fact that the curtains already have a channels sewn in the ends means it's really simple to make.image.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Forgot to mention, make your ridgeline length about 83% of your hammock's length when stretched out flat. That seems to be the recommended formula, and it is just right in my case. I have a 114" hammock, and my ridgeline is about 95 inches Almost any no-stretch line will work. I think I had a length of 1/8" spectra laying around that I used. Not sure what breaking strength you need but as long as you keep your hang angle around the 30 degree range you should not have too much stress on it. That being said, I probably wouldn't use anything less 1/8" line unless you are using something like Amsteel.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    We made a Fronky net using cryptic cricket's plans. The curtain sheers were under $10. And it was so easy and works perfectly. A great starter DIY project.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    I made my first bug net out of the sheer panels too, but found that it increased the temperature in the hammock 5-10 degrees. Great when it's cooler, and I still use it then, but there are fewer to no bugs then, too. Mosquitos generally don't fly or bite when the temps are below 50 or so. http://www.ct.gov/mosquito/cwp/view.asp?a=3486&q=415106

The no-see-um mesh breathes quite a but more, letting the heat escape on warmer, and thus more buggy nights.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I made a Fronkey style bugnet from a great little kit by Ripstop By the Roll. $25 and an hour of sewing, and as has been mentioned above, it breathes better than the shear curtains from Wally World.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Any reviews or opinions on the Dutch summer sock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

making several bottom entry with goatbone mod for personal and scouts. made several fronkey style but wanted a way to slide it off easily. after making my first goatbone mod I can tell you its my favorite bugnet. total cost for me is around 25-35$ I used dutchware nanoseeum for my personal and RSBTR 0.9 for my scouts. basically for the goatbone mod, I followed fronkey directions and just left one side open.
    https://youtu.be/Q6GSIjR6mJI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts