DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Raven and add ons...

The Raven is really tempting me. How does it play with quilt hooks and tie outs? The video says the net stays taut without tie out hooks needed. Can anyone confirm from in-field usage? Any other tips, tricks or perks to sway my decision?
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    It won't work with quilt hooks because how the net/overcover fits. The net will stay out of the way without the tie outs, but I still use them because it helps some. If you are a dedicated sleeper one direction or the other, I'd get the tie out hooks. If not, you'll be happy without them.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Since I use either a wide synmat or downmat inside my Raven I don't have to worry about the need or desire for tie outs.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    It is an excellent design, and you would really like it. The new design with zippers that meet in the middle, already comes 11' long, and is customizable makes it, IMO, one of the best choices available. Plus, you can switch directions if you wish without removing the top, or changing anything else. I am a dedicated left lay, so I really like my Sparrows and Dangerbird, but we also have an old Raven (before the zippers met in the middle), and it's not going anywhere! If you pull the trigger, try the Robic 1.7, it's great, or the 1.6 Hyper D is hard to beat.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    It is an excellent design, and you would really like it. The new design with zippers that meet in the middle, already comes 11' long, and is customizable makes it, IMO, one of the best choices available. Plus, you can switch directions if you wish without removing the top, or changing anything else. I am a dedicated left lay, so I really like my Sparrows and Dangerbird, but we also have an old Raven (before the zippers met in the middle), and it's not going anywhere! If you pull the trigger, try the Robic 1.7, it's great, or the 1.6 Hyper D is hard to beat.
    I'm also a dedicated left lay guy. I love my Darien... a lot. I have been tossing between the Dangerbird and the Raven for the removable net. Hmmm....
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I think the Raven offers a bit more value over the Dangerbird - mainly because of the zipper design and price. I think the only other model they offer with separating zippers on both sides that meet in the middle is the Sparrow. Nothing against the Dangerbird though. I know it suits many people just fine.
    Last edited by rweb82; 04-27-2017 at 20:01.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Extra zippers can be added to a Dangerbird so it functions like the Raven and Sparrow. It is my opinion that these three are the best DH designs, but if you disagree, please send me another model and I'll be happy to try it out and let you know what I think!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Extra zippers can be added to a Dangerbird so it functions like the Raven and Sparrow. It is my opinion that these three are the best DH designs, but if you disagree, please send me another model and I'll be happy to try it out and let you know what I think!
    Question for you, since you've had the pleasure of ordering multiple Dream Hammocks! If you customized a Dangerbird to the point that it functions exactly the same as the Sparrow, would the price then match the Sparrow- or even be a tad higher? I can't imagine the Smurfs would allow a loophole in their pricing which would let folks build a "Sparrow" from a Dangerbird template at a lower price. If their pricing is consistent with features, what benefit would be had by going through the trouble of changing features of the DB to match the Sparrow, when one can just order the Sparrow?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Question for you, since you've had the pleasure of ordering multiple Dream Hammocks! If you customized a Dangerbird to the point that it functions exactly the same as the Sparrow, would the price then match the Sparrow- or even be a tad higher? I can't imagine the Smurfs would allow a loophole in their pricing which would let folks build a "Sparrow" from a Dangerbird template at a lower price. If their pricing is consistent with features, what benefit would be had by going through the trouble of changing features of the DB to match the Sparrow, when one can just order the Sparrow?

You probably know this but will say it anyway one of the biggest difference between a sparrow is the net/overcover can be removed and left at home on the sparrow but not the dangerbird. Also there is no dedicated head end on the sparrow like there is on the dangerbird.

I added and extra zipper on my net and overcover to meet in the middle on my dangerbird and with all add ones I added and then sent it back to add a bugnet my dangerbird costed me around 270 (would have been $250 if I would have ordered the bugnet when I ordered the hammock)

The same options on a sparrow would have been $322
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    You probably know this but will say it anyway one of the biggest difference between a sparrow is the net/overcover can be removed and left at home on the sparrow but not the dangerbird. Also there is no dedicated head end on the sparrow like there is on the dangerbird.

I added and extra zipper on my net and overcover to meet in the middle on my dangerbird and with all add ones I added and then sent it back to add a bugnet my dangerbird costed me around 270 (would have been $250 if I would have ordered the bugnet when I ordered the hammock)

The same options on a sparrow would have been $322
    Thanks for the clarification. In my mind, I was thinking of the features of the Thunderbird when talking about the Dangerbird. Also, thanks for sharing the price difference with the features.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast