Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

A few questions for new Raven owners...

I am really liking the design of the Raven. I've wanted a DH for a while, originally thought the Darien was best for me, but the modular design, mid-closing dual zippers and cool bug net push the Raven to the top of the list. The wait is certainly a deterrent, but I can live with my Blackbird a while longer..

I don't know that I would make use of the top cover enough to warrant the cost, but I believe other DH designs were not able to be retro-fitted with the top cover if you didn't get it at initial build, and wanted to add it later. Is the top cover something that can be added at a later date?

The updated design of the bug net.. I see there are now snaps at the ends. I am assuming the hammock's CL's still need to be disconnected from the suspension in order to install or remove the bug net completely.. is this correct? Does the net go over or under the UQ suspension?

I have only laid right since joining the tree dwellers.. I've experimented with left lay, but in an asym Blackbird, the experience isn't accurate. Being able to switch is really interesting. How do you handle the setup of your UQ? Do you setup it up straight down the center of the hammock in anticipation that you'll change lay during the night or do you setup it up lay specific and make the commitment to that lay for the night?

I use a Hammock Gear Incubator.. Does the Raven's bug net play nice with the Incubator? Do the ends of the Incubator extend up under the head and foot end of the Raven's bug net?

I am leaning towards the 1.6 Hyper D. I had been using a 1.1 DL Blackbird and it was crazy comfortable. Never had a calf ridge and got a really flat lay. When I added the UQ I decided to switch to a 1.1 SL and it has proven a little too stretchy for my build. I am 185 - 195, depending on the season, 5'11". I was initially attracted to Dutch's 1.6 Hexon for it's combination of lite weight and low stretch. How does the 1.6 Hyper D compare to 1.6 Hexon? I am weight conscious.. I try to keep my big three down to UL numbers so I can 'splurge' in other areas, but I don't want to be uncomfortable.

To Randy... I've watched the tube vid's you have showing the new bugnet design.. you have a really flat lay going in that hammock. What material is the used on the hammock in the video?

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    For what it's worth. I have found I use a top cover regularly in shoulder season and it is worth the investment. YMMV but I actually tested with thermometers and consistently get a 10 degree warmer environment in shoulder season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Advice appreciated!!

Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I am really liking the design of the Raven. I've wanted a DH for a while, originally thought the Darien was best for me, but the modular design, mid-closing dual zippers and cool bug net push the Raven to the top of the list. The wait is certainly a deterrent, but I can live with my Blackbird a while longer..

I don't know that I would make use of the top cover enough to warrant the cost, but I believe other DH designs were not able to be retro-fitted with the top cover if you didn't get it at initial build, and wanted to add it later. Is the top cover something that can be added at a later date?

The updated design of the bug net.. I see there are now snaps at the ends. I am assuming the hammock's CL's still need to be disconnected from the suspension in order to install or remove the bug net completely.. is this correct? Does the net go over or under the UQ suspension?

I have only laid right since joining the tree dwellers.. I've experimented with left lay, but in an asym Blackbird, the experience isn't accurate. Being able to switch is really interesting. How do you handle the setup of your UQ? Do you setup it up straight down the center of the hammock in anticipation that you'll change lay during the night or do you setup it up lay specific and make the commitment to that lay for the night?

I use a Hammock Gear Incubator.. Does the Raven's bug net play nice with the Incubator? Do the ends of the Incubator extend up under the head and foot end of the Raven's bug net?

I am leaning towards the 1.6 Hyper D. I had been using a 1.1 DL Blackbird and it was crazy comfortable. Never had a calf ridge and got a really flat lay. When I added the UQ I decided to switch to a 1.1 SL and it has proven a little too stretchy for my build. I am 185 - 195, depending on the season, 5'11". I was initially attracted to Dutch's 1.6 Hexon for it's combination of lite weight and low stretch. How does the 1.6 Hyper D compare to 1.6 Hexon? I am weight conscious.. I try to keep my big three down to UL numbers so I can 'splurge' in other areas, but I don't want to be uncomfortable.

To Randy... I've watched the tube vid's you have showing the new bugnet design.. you have a really flat lay going in that hammock. What material is the used on the hammock in the video?

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions...
    I will do my best to answer your questions. Some of them I can answer from personal experience, and some are just from research and passing along what others have said. I have the Raven in a single-layer, Hyper D 1.6 configuration. I've found it to be extremely comfortable. I am 6'1" around 200lbs, and have no issues getting a very flat lay. Everyone is different, though; so take that for what it's worth.

As for the top cover, you may need to contact Randy directly on that. But my gut tells me that you cannot just order a top cover at a later date. However, I do believe he can make one for your hammock if you are willing to ship the hammock to him.

You would need to unhook the CL's from the suspension if you want to completely remove the bugnet from the hammock. However, you can just unzip the net from the hammock and stow the bugnet along the ridgeline- which is a much quicker way to go netless. With the shock cord along the ends of the netting, it holds very well in that position.

As for switching your direction of lay, it's very easy to do that. But I haven't really taken advantage of that feature, because I always lay with my head to the left. I would imagine you would want to set up your underquilt in a "neutral" configuration if you're going to change the direction of your lay in the middle of the night.

I don't own the Incubator, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine on the Raven.

I absolutely love the Raven's design. I really don't think you can find another hammock with the same amount of modularity for the price. It has everything I want, and is very well made. I don't think you will be disappointed if you pull the trigger on it!
    Last edited by rweb82; 05-25-2017 at 08:16.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    You can order a top cover later with no problems! The smurfs are great to work with and will help make sure you are happy! That's the great thing about DH, you can customize to your specific wants and needs! Some of the best in the business!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Is the top cover something that can be added at a later date?
    We can add an overcover at a later time no problem. We just need to get your existing net, overcover, or hammock to make sure the zippers are matched up real nice.
    That particular hammock was built from the 1.6oz HyperD and was 11ft x 58". At the time of that video, I was approx 240lbs give or take.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I have a Dutch Chameleon in Hexon 1.6 oz fabric and a similarly sized DIY OutdoorINK hammock in HyperD 1.6 oz fabric. Both are comfortable and provide a sufficiently supportive lay, but at my weight (175#) I notice that the HyperD is slightly stretchier, but not enough to be a problem, and the Hexon gets the nod for its amazingly nice finish. I prefer relatively firm, supportive hammocks, so I am pretty sensitive to those kinds of subtleties. Either fabric should serve you well.

The Raven is a very clever design, and the execution is clearly reliably impeccable.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-27-2017 at 07:33.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    All good stuff...thank you all!

Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dream Raven
    Tarp
    Dutch ASYM wide
    I have a Dutch 1.6 Hexon and the Raven 1.6 in HyperD, they are both comfortable. But I do like the feel of the HyperD at the moment. I also got the topcover and like it, but not really necessary where I live (warm part of southern Japan).

I have used two different underquilts with the Raven, Arrowhead Jarbridge and a DIY Costco UQ - they both worked just fine.
    I say go for it, if you have the patience to wait a month (or more) for the completion of your hammock.
    Last edited by BanjerDan; 05-26-2017 at 20:16.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    The Raven does pair well with the HG incubator and Phoenix. I have the wide as possible fabric option on my build with 2.4 hexon and when in the hammock the UQ is about 4-6 inches below the zipper line at the shoulders. Some dutch quilt hangers make the unhooking between the net and the hammock onto the CL very easy.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast