Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I tend to sleep better outside when it's windy, raining, or snowing if I'm camping near a lake. Otherwise, the sound of a river will suffice. More often than not though, I camp near lakes, so the river sounds are nowhere near me.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Rain puts me to sleep almost immediately. Maybe you could become a storm follower?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I sleep well as long as any noise is not Human-made noise. Waterfalls are nice, as are the spring peepers. I also sleep very well in quiet. I do prefer quiet, that way any noise that should wake me does (bear, coyote, deer, skunk, etc).

Hammock
    HH backpacker
    Tarp
    still looking
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    standard
    Consistency is key. Random or non rhythmic sounds kill my sleep. I've had a ringing in my ear for years and I've found the best cure is to be so tired that nothing matters. Going through Maine on the AT plenty of ponds--I slept like a baby with the loons as a background--my buddy the next day kept ****'ing the darn ducks. Mindset has a lot to do with sleep. Rituals help.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic5586 View Post
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeee,

Tinnitus sucks

EEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Yep, I hear ya...

Fortunately, for whatever reason, though mine is constant and loud, I am not consciously aware of it most of the time. Falling asleep in the quiet outdoors, however, makes it really apparent. But...for whatever reason... it does not keep me awake.

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    theBlueStone
    Insulation
    tbc
    Suspension
    webbing
    Despite also having some tinnitus I tend to enjoy the quiet when in a hammock, and the forest/wildlife noises. However during my last hang I was woken in the small hours by the definite sound of munching... The 3am fear had me imagining squirrels gnawing away at my hammock straps. Switched on my torch to check and gave the rabbit sitting right underneath my hammock a hell of a shock!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic5586 View Post
    Tinnitus sucks
    What does this sound like? Sometimes when it's COMPLETELY quiet, I feel like I hear a very high pitch whine, like a dog whistle but obviously something humans can hear. Like a 16kHz sine wave. Not very loud or annoying, but something other than silence.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    What does this sound like? Sometimes when it's COMPLETELY quiet, I feel like I hear a very high pitch whine, like a dog whistle but obviously something humans can hear. Like a 16kHz sine wave. Not very loud or annoying, but something other than silence.
    Tinnitus sounds different to different people. 15 years of flying around in cargo planes left me with a nice case of it. For me, it's an eeeee kind of tone with kind of a static overlay. This website by the National Institute for Health Research gives examples of tinnitus. My tinnitus is a mix between sound 4 and sound 10.

I never bring earplugs. I embrace the noise. It tends to be a lot better than the noise I carry with me. The quiet, especially in the dead of winter, can be occasionally maddening. I focus on my breathing. I've practiced that enough that I can to a degree tune out the tinnitus.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Silence is golden

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Since I always have my phone with me I load up on old CBS Radio Mystery Theater radio broadcasts from the 70's and play them while unwinding and settling in.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast