Sea to Summit Ultralight Hammock Revisited

TL;DR Fabric is same weight as RSBTR's HyperD 1.0. More breathable, certainly more expensive. Perhaps a higher weight rating? Includes some extraneous weight that is easily removed by end user.

The new Sea To Summit Ultralight Hammock was, prior to its release, discussed in a recent thread.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...mmock%E2%80%99

This speculative discussion was largely harsh and probably deservedly so for the most part, though some suggestions were hasty.

Some choice quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    They were definitely counting on their consumer niche to be dumb about their gram-shaving just for the bragging rights.
    Probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Heavier than a Hexon 1.0 D/L !!
    Plugging the numbers...
    102 x 48" = 4896 sq inches = 3.777778 sq yd
    so 5.4 oz / 3.777778 sq yd = 1.429oz/yd
    Not so impressive now?
    Certainly not.

As packaged, the Sea to Summit Ultralight Hammock weighs, by my kitchen-grade scale, 5.4 oz.

This includes:

Bishop style compression sack: 0.8 oz (!)
    "Patch kit": 0.2 oz
    Hammock: 4.4 oz

The stuff sack certainly is charming but a quart-size ziplock bags seems to work fine and weighs a mere 5g.

One certainly hopes that the patch kit isn't strictly necessary. I must say that the mono-filament fabric seems pretty robust and has a ripstop pattern. The patch kit consists of 4 coin-size circular swatches of the hammock fabric with adhesive backing.

The hammock's end channels are gathered by heavy duty 1/2" webbing with aluminum attachment points for StS's hefty proprietary suspension systems. If one wants alternative suspension, the widgets will accept Amsteel soft shackles or larksheaded whoopies/UCRs.

Or one can simply cut the webbing's bartacking and remove them altogether. The pair weighs a whopping 0.5 oz! They are then easily replaced with Amsteel continuous loops at just a handful of grams

Without the webbing and widgets the hammock itself weighs 3.774 oz.

Its dimensions are 45.5 x 98 inches (with a structural ridge line I found the hammock to be quite comfortable, but I am only 5'6").

Close examination of the hems reveals that the full piece of fabric used is 48 x 104 inches.

This implies a fabric weight of 0.98 oz/yd.

If this seems overly exciting consider that anytime I have measured my realworld pieces of HyperD 1.0 at home, I've come up with something like 0.99 oz/yd. Differences of hundredths of ounces can easily be chalked up to measuring errors or scale imprecision. Unenlightening and uninteresting at least. In any case, it is no heavier than a HyperD 1.0 hammock so long as properly configured.

I will say that the hammock is highly breathable, certainly more so than the calendered, tightly-woven HyperD.

I think I remember reading somewhere on HF that HyperD 1.0 in a single-layer hammock had a rather modest weight limit. I was unable to find this quote again so I could certainly be wrong. Sea to Summit claims the Ultralight is good to 300 lbs.

Retail for the Sea to Summit Ultralight is $90(!) HyperD 1.0 from RSBTR is something like $6/yd.

So, in sum, I would say, if you want an ultralight hammock, go with DIY HyperD 1.0 and make it to your preferred size with your preferred suspension. Unless: you have money to burn; you desire something highly breathable; or you yourself are not exactly ultralight. Or if you are just simply in love with the well-built and fun to use but rather heavy Bishop compression sack.

I Hope this has been helpful.

Thanks, That is helpful to know more about it

• + New Posts