Tarp
    Hammock gear DCF
    Insulation
    HG, OWL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Dolly Sods or the Linville Gorge??

My first post will be me asking for help deciding on a location for my next getaway in mid May. I have done 2 solo missions in GHSP this year so while tempting because of closeness, I'm ready for something new. I've been to both of these potential areas but not extensively on overnight trips. I'm looking at the dolly side lions head loop http://www.hikingupward.com/MNF/DollySodsLionsHead/ And the linville gorge loop. http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/379572

LG sounds more challenging with higher rewards and possibly better hammock sites, while dolly sods seems more laid back and enjoyable with plenty of the alpine environment that is so rare in the SE. Both trips sound great in my book. Both are about a 4 hr drive. We should have a full 2.5 days on the trail arriving the night before our trip. Just looking for some opinions from people with experience in these locations with hammock camping. This will be my last remote multi day trip for a while so I want it to be great. I will have my best and only hiking partner (my wife) with me on this mission who is leaving the itinerary to me. Thanks in advance for any information!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I have not been to Dolly Sods, although it does look like a place I would like to hike. I have been to Linville Gorge. And as Shug said, "she's a cruel beauty". Gorge miles are like 3 miles everywhere else. One day it took 8 hours to cover 5 miles, granted, that particular trail was not used much. Our group went in May. Weather was nice. The Gorge is challenging, but has some beautiful views up high, and great dips in the river below. Either way, you should have a great time no matter which you choose.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock gear DCF
    Insulation
    HG, OWL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    1=3 wow! Might need and extra day for that! That's the vibe I get from that place for sure. Thank You.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Do both. One this trip and then the other that way you will not miss any of the beauty of either.

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Are you planning to go on a weekend? Dolly sods can get crowded in certain places on weekends. I have been to both places many times if you have any specific questions I may be able to help you.
    visualize whirled peas.

Images
    Your Gorge loop is way too ambitious for a first visit IMO. Just getting up and around Shortoff takes hours if only due to all the stopping and staring.

If you do the Dolly Sods loop, pay particular attention to their recommendation here:
    Mile 17.3 – Turn left uphill on the Raven Ridge Trail TR521. WARNING: People look at the map and notice that following the Dobbin Grade Trail back to the Bear Rocks Trail is a shorter route. Don’t do it! The Dobbin Grade Trail is a boggy mess anytime of the year, and offers little scenery. Taking the Raven Ridge Trail TR521 has much nicer views and is completely dry. So, after turning left uphill onto he Raven Ridge Trail TR521 pass through several nice meadows and wooded areas for 1.5 miles back to the intersection with the Bear Rocks Trail TR522 terminus you passed earlier in the hike.
    These are both great locations but have different feels.

Dolly Sods will feel a little more like Grayson Highlands. You get a lof of areas (at least in the Northern half) where the land opens up and you can see around you for miles.

The gorge has overlooks where you can see for miles, but you're generalling staring over a cliff then, not walking through an open meadow or heath bald. Most of your time in the gorge will be closed in forest walking. To be fair, so are the trails in the Southern half of Dolly Sods.

The plants and rock formations in Dolly Sods will be more unique.

Keep in mind with that loop for Linville, the bridge is out at Spence. You'll have to do a river crossing which will be an issue if it rains right before your trip.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock gear DCF
    Insulation
    HG, OWL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trees company View Post
    Are you planning to go on a weekend? Dolly sods can get crowded in certain places on weekends. I have been to both places many times if you have any specific questions I may be able to help you.
    I definitely hate crowds. Prefer to see nobody at all. It sounds like dolly sods can get busy with the college crowd.
    Have you hiked any ~20 mile LG loops such as the ITAYG trail or something similar. Thanks!

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Similar to @Southern9, I've never been to Dolly Sods but I've spent a lot of time in the Gorge. It's one of my favorite areas, especially during the colder months.
    As far as miles, most people tend to average about 1 mile per hour. It's the elevation change that might get you and also route finding can be a challenge depending on the trail. The one you've chosen is pretty easy to follow, but the section where you cross the river in the southern part of the Gorge can turn you around. Also, keep in mind that the southern part of the Gorge just went through a huge forest fire a few weeks back. I haven't been there since but the area around Shortoff and the trail down to the river were right in the middle of it.

A couple of tips if you choose Linville Gorge. You can do that trail in a couple of days, you just want have a lot of time for "lolly gagging". Keep that in mind as well as the elevation changes when thinking through you and your wife's hiking style. I'd recommend parking at Table Rock parking area and doing the trail clockwise. As your checking out the weather, pay attention to the wind. The wind tends to flow N to S, and can get strong. 40mph is common, 70 isn't unheard of on ridges. Crowds aren't normally an issue on this loop, the effort it requires filters out a lot of folks.

Here's another link to use for your research. Here you'll find great info on the Gorge and up to date maps that show possible water sources. Not as concise as the link you posted and a bit silly at times, but really useful info to be had. http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php?topic=1340.0

Plan on two wet river crossings. Use this link to check the water levels. Anything around 150 and under is an easy crossing. Once it goes above that be careful. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?02138500

Good luck
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymc View Post
    I definitely hate crowds. Prefer to see nobody at all. It sounds like dolly sods can get busy with the college crowd.
    Have you hiked any ~20 mile LG loops such as the ITAYG trail or something similar. Thanks!
    A few times at linville gorge if I arrived in the afternoon I would go to lost dog camp off the Kessler hwy I think you can park at the Conley cove trail head . I would camp there that evening it is right on the edge of the gorge with great views of table rock straight across.
    The next day I would drive around to the other side stopping at Louisa's for lunch or breakfast. I would drive to table rock start there and hike to Shortoff ,camp the night and return to table rock .
    You can also do a small loop going down Shortoff camp near the river ,hike the linville River trail upstream to Conley cove , up Conley cove to the rock jock trail back to car , or camp a night along the rock jock like lost dog camp. Have you downloaded the master map from linville gorge.net?
    visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock gear DCF
    Insulation
    HG, OWL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trees company View Post
    A few times at linville gorge if I arrived in the afternoon I would go to lost dog camp off the Kessler hwy I think you can park at the Conley cove trail head . I would camp there that evening it is right on the edge of the gorge with great views of table rock straight across.
    The next day I would drive around to the other side stopping at Louisa's for lunch or breakfast. I would drive to table rock start there and hike to Shortoff ,camp the night and return to table rock .
    You can also do a small loop going down Shortoff camp near the river ,hike the linville River trail upstream to Conley cove , up Conley cove to the rock jock trail back to car , or camp a night along the rock jock like lost dog camp. Have you downloaded the master map from linville gorge.net?
    I will check into these routes. I have downloaded the maps and I am studying them when I get the chance. The terrain is a little overwhelming! I was looking at crossing at cambric branch but it sounds like a horrible trail. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast