Ridgerunner, Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock gear DCF
    Insulation
    HG, OWL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Has anyone had experience on the Cambric trail? Looks like it would be a manageable loop giving a first timer some more time to lollygag. Starting at wolfs pit crossing at the end of cambric trail and at the southern ford looks like about a 16-17 mile trip.

Cambric isn't a lot of fun. Shug has some video going down in his fall gorge 2016 series.
    AKA: Shooter

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymc View Post
    Has anyone had experience on the Cambric trail? Looks like it would be a manageable loop giving a first timer some more time to lollygag. Starting at wolfs pit crossing at the end of cambric trail and at the southern ford looks like about a 16-17 mile trip.
    Hickery and I did Cambric last November. Very steep. Then cross river. We went south on Linville River trail....took Leadmine to MST trail, shortcut on Schoonover Crossing back to Wolfpit.
    Keep in mind there were just fires on Shortoff and near the Cambric area so look into that.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock gear DCF
    Insulation
    HG, OWL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hickery and I did Cambric last November. Very steep. Then cross river. We went south on Linville River trail....took Leadmine to MST trail, shortcut on Schoonover Crossing back to Wolfpit.
    Keep in mind there were just fires on Shortoff and near the Cambric area so look into that.
    Shug

Thanks Shug, Ill watch those again for sure. That seems like it will be a good route for us. I decided I'm going to wait until June when I have more time to take off during the week, dont have to worry about a permit, and let the fire situation calm down. I want to enjoy my first trip to the gorge.
    Ill try and hit dolly sods next time.
    Thanks everybody.

Images
    Cambric was super steep and rather overgrown when I went down it. Keep in mind, that was seven years ago now.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've hiked both. What's your wife's preference? LG isn't a place to go with someone who doesn't like a challenge. The best pre-hike hint of what I was undertaking was a question from Cool Days: "How are your knees?" (Mine were fine, and I've been back a number of times.) There are more good hammock trees at DS, which means you can find solitude if you try. Check the weather ahead of time. Both places have river crossings that you can't do when the water is high.

I haven't been to Cambric since the fire but I was at the gorge that Thursday. The fire burned all the way from the ridge top to the river on the
    east side, all the way down Cambric. I would think twice about any hiking in the SE quadrant. (south of Table Rock, East of river)
    linvillegorge.net has some recent pics of the area. I don't know what you'd be in for on the way up or down Cambric after that fire.
    AKA: Shooter

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Never underestimate Dolly Sods. The lower sods, while not the challenge of the Linville Gorge, can be interesting. I do think both places can have surprise weather that can get dangerous. They both can have interesting water crossings if it has been raining. Dolly Sods does have a few more bail-out options. Don't go to Dolly Sods on any weekends after mid-May if you want any shred of solitude (although it can be had if you know the place well). I expect this goes without saying for any hammockforums members, but whichever place you decide to go: please Leave No Trace. Dolly Sods is starting to suffer badly from ill-mannered people. Most importantly, have fun and share your photos.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12