transforming a sewn through Underquilt to faux buffle underquilt? clews or normal suspension?

Hey everyone,

i "built" two under quilts from a cheap rectangular down sleeping bag (aegis max - $60).

I just cut it in half, removed the zippers, sewed 4 channels grosgrain around each, and added bungee rope. (see pic)

Size is 64" x 40" which fits very well and as I'm not super tall, it is a 3/4 to almost 7/8 quilt for me.
    (The original sleeping bag had 200cm x 80 cm, -> opened 200cm x 160cm, that left me with two quilts with each 160cm x 100cm)

Attachment 148828

It looks, feels and hangs very nicely for roughly €35 each and weights only ~ 12 ounces.

But, there are also some issued with it. The baffles are not length but wide wise. And its a sewn through design. So, even though there is quite some down in there, there are some channels that are prone to cold spots if it gets cooler.

As the quilts are quite long and the baffles get pretty roundish when not pulled tight, I would connect two baffles with a 1-inch distance to the seam to create faux baffles (not sure if this is the right word, i mean creating a distance between inner and outer shell). Doing this would also create a lengthwise differential "cut" to the underquilt. If it gets too strong i would do 2 inside 1 outside ect. Is this doable and worth it or should i leave it as is?

Right now, as its sewn through and wide wise baffles, I cannot use a clew suspension system as these would pull and therefore squeeze the buffles. When I sew the distance between the buffles i could also try a clew suspention. Whats the general conclusion about the clew suspension, is it superior in fitting the quilt under the hammock?

Here is the pic. Im not sure if im doing it wrong

[ATTACH=CONFIG]148847
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts