Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Rainfly
    Insulation
    Winter yeti.
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

hammock gear burrow econ?

I'm currently getting all my gear ready for my upcoming thru-hike, and have a winter bag for early February through beginning of April, and then plan on switching to a lighter bag going into summer. I'm looking at the 40* burrow econ from hammock gear. Anyone have any experience or reviews on it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    There are a few threads in this forum with the info you are looking for. I have had an Hammock Gear Incubator for 4 years or so and it has shown no signs of wear, and works like I expect it to. I do always use an underquilt protector, and probably always will. I just ordered the Econ Burrow myself, and I did it because I trust Hammock Gear to deliver a high-quality product. If you are watching your weight though, and if you have the money, you probably should spend another $100 or so and get something lighter.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    If you are watching your weight though, and if you have the money, you probably should spend another $100 or so and get something lighter.
    for an extra $100 you can save 3.5 ounces. No self-respecting thru-hiker would be caught dead carrying 3.5 extra ounces. Your decision is clear.

Images
    No one is going to tell you they regret buying a Burrow. It's the temperature rating you are looking at. I would recommend one of two options:

1) Just get the 20d bag and be ready for anything. It's lovely.

2) Get the 40d bag and carry a costco down throw "insert" as an added layer for the coldest nights. Works great as-is or with a quickie snap-together footbox. Its so cheap you can give it away when you're done.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis

Tough Call

3.5 oz 'extra' weight doesn't sound like much, especially for big savings, but toiling up and down mountains changes perspective.

Some hikers allow themselves one luxury item. The additional weight on the Econ could fit in this category. I do have the 40 degree Econ UQ, and while I can't testify to the warmth in cold or cool conditions, I can tell you it's beautiful and the Ion fabric is wonderful. I think this fabric is particularly suited for LD hiking.

You'll be chucking off winter clothing at that time, so you're likely to be lighter anyway.

Finally, consider not ordering a summer quilt till you've hiked 30 miles or more. You'll have a better idea if the additional oz matters. Keep in mind that the current price of the Econ may change, depending on the fluctuating cost of down. I doubt the price will be lower.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Packhiker View Post
    3.5 oz 'extra' weight doesn't sound like much, especially for big savings, but toiling up and down mountains changes perspective.
    It's huge considering how it only gets even MORE expensive to shave ounces as you go on...if your goal is to cut weight.

Extra $100 now, 3.5oz less, and knowing you have the lightest option (within reason/custom) is worth it to many people.

"I should have spent a little extra to get a lighter quilt" is probably more likely than "I should downgrade my light quilt for a heavier, bulkier one". It's nice to have options and choose based on what you do/will possibly be doing in the future.

OZ = LBS!!!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Its wasn't an Econ, but I just my 0° Burrow 0° Incubator this past weekend to help finance my oldest daughters trip to Florida for the National cheerleading competition, but when fall rolls around again I will definitely be reordering the same quilt set. I also plan on adding a 40° Econ Phoenix/ Burrow set soon and getting rid of most of the other quilts go don't really use much anymore. I've heard nothing but rave reviews for the Econ line so far. They really took cottage made down quilts to the next level with the Econ line and put pressure on the other cottage vendors to step up their game as well, which will drive further innovations, produce redesigned and updated existing products and lead to growth and stability of the cottage market as a whole. Gotta love capitalism, the free market and entrepreneurship.... We all win,what's better than that?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    You may keep in mind too throwing up a WTB add, maybe you'll find a good deal on a custom Burrow for a steal of a price. I recently found a great deal on a Phoenix and saved cash, weight, and still was able to upgrade the temp rating I was looking at. Just my .02c and pocket lint.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I'm not sure what to tell you other than the temp raining in choices will always be there....as is the weight long after you would have noticed the cost savings. I just went for another brand 40 degree top quilt and it isn12.6 oz. I use HG Incubator underquilts and prefer the standard type due to the weight savings. But I'm willing to keep saving to get the one I know I'll prefer in a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    I've slept with my econ 40* burrow (snaps for footbox) at 50*. Was also using my wooki 3 season underquilt. Toasty warm in just my underwear. The Econ burrow is well made, can't beat the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast