Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images

REI Quarter Dome Hammock Review

I bought an REI Quarter Dome Hammock, receiving it in the mail on Monday and spent the last couple of nights in it. It is my first experience with a bridge hammock so cannot really compare it to any other bridge. I have been using a WBBB and a Traveler for the past few years.

First of all, and most important to me, it sleeps very nice. It was the most comfortable night I have had in a hammock. Easy to sleep on the back and side plus halfway rolled over. I move around a lot during the night and this hammock was much easier to squirm around in than the WB hammocks I have been using.

The hammock seems to be very well made and includes everything you need other than insulation and a pillow. It looks to me like a lot of thought went into its design. It is very easy to hang and adjust both the hammock and the tarp with attached lines, clips and slides. The hammock has an integrated bugnet with a zippered door opening on one side. At the top, the bugnet is fastened to a narrow strip of grosgain ribbon. At either end of the bugnet that grosgain is connected to an adjustable cord which fastens into where the hammock suspension coming from the spreader bars Y's together. Unlike the WB hammocks which have a fixed ridgeline, this pseudo-ridgeline is used only to keep the bugnet off your face and you adjust it as needed.

The hammock suspension consists of a 4-5 foot 1" strap with loops at each end. One loop is permanently attached to some kind of double whoopie sling. You wrap the strap around your tree and pull the whoopie sling through the free loop on the strap and then attach the whoopie sling via a provided carabiner to the hammock itself. It sounds complicated but is actually very easy to use and seems very elegant. The only problem I see with it is you cannot wrap around a very big tree so you would need to carry extension straps if you hang from a tree bigger than 4' in diameter.

Entry and exit are pretty simple. Zipping up the door requires two hands in one spot, but that may be because of the tension on the bugnet. The hammock has a couple of small pockets on the inside and one on the outside for storage. They won't hold a lot, but it was a convenient place to put some small items. There are also a few small loops fastened to the grosgain at the top of the bugnet. I did notice a bit of shoulder squeeze, but only because I had read that it could be a problem and was looking for it (I am 6' 1" and 180 lb).

The tarp is a bit narrow, but does adequately cover the hammock. It rained all the first night night and I stayed dry, although there was some splashup on my UQ. The second night I staked the tarp a bit wider and did not have a problem. If there is a lot of wind with the UQ may still get wet, but there was little of that when I tried. I did try my other tarps, including my Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber Hex Tarp, but none of them were quite as long as the stock tarp, although they were wider. So I will stick to the stock tarp for now and explore some kind of shower cap to put over the UQ.

I initially tried to use an inflatable pad (BA Quad Code) in the hammock, but decided that was going to be a bit tricky to stay on top of, so opted for a UQ instead. The video I had seen just hooked the suspension for the UQ to the hammock suspension (where it joins together). But my JrB Mt Washington would not reach that far. I ended up using 4 small carabiners and a short section of shock cord to attach the 4 corners of the UQ to the hammock suspension at the spreader bars. That worked well and covered all but a few inches of the hammock at one end.

All in all I liked the hammock and hope to take it out into the field next week. Unless some issue surfaces, I expect it to be my goto hammock now.

20170413_123406.jpg20170413_123418.jpg20170413_123436.jpg20170413_123548.jpg20170413_123556.jpg

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Kammok Koala UQ
    Suspension
    Kammok 2" straps
    Thanks for the review and pics! I'm super intrigued now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Here's another video review vs a Warbonnet Ridgerunner.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-v-Ridgerunner

Sounds like this may be a good option for the mass market if one is looking for a bridge hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    Definitely looks like a good hammock for casual people, especially at that price point. It makes perfect business sense for REI to undertake a bridge design for a couple reasons: as others have said, their main competitor is ENO, and it would seem easier to convince a prospective first time hammock camper (especially a stomach sleeper) to go the bridge route for comfort and ease of getting the setup right, especially if this customer is trying to make the decision between a tent and a hammock - suddenly REI has a house brand candidate in between their tent offerings and the ENO line.

Definitely will have some trouble with blowing rain, but it's not like all independent tarps have this covered either - different shape tarps for different weather, and as this seems geared towards newer hammockers/campers, likely people who will being going out in pristine/fair conditions where the tarp is more for peace of mind.

Looking at your detailed pics it does seem the team who designed this took its time in some of the small details - I was surprised, for example, to see the linelocs used.

Thanks for the review!
    The want of wandering, and a welcomed whimsy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
    Definitely will have some trouble with blowing rain, but it's not like all independent tarps have this covered either - different shape tarps for different weather, and as this seems geared towards newer hammockers/campers, likely people who will being going out in pristine/fair conditions where the tarp is more for peace of mind.
    I'm not certain how big of an issue this will be, at least where I hang. I don't generally experience blowing rain in the woods I tramp in, although I do try and avoid going out when much rain is expected. The trees seem to block a lot of the wind, although there are exceptions to that. And if I do expect rain I usually have a poncho that I should be able to rig up under the hammock to protect the UQ.

I may pick one up for the fun of it!

Thanks for the review.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprafly View Post

Thanks for the review.
    Go for it and be sure to give us another good review.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprafly View Post

Thanks for the review.
    You're quite welcome. I think it is a great hammock.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    ...The tarp is a bit narrow, but does adequately cover the hammock. It rained all the first night night and I stayed dry, although there was some splashup on my UQ. The second night I staked the tarp a bit wider and did not have a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    ...I don't generally experience blowing rain in the woods I tramp in...
    Yeah, I hear a lot about it from others, but I never seem to get much blowing rain in the woods... edge of the woods maybe.

Back in the day when Hennessy was king, this tarp would've been luxurious. Today, folks don't want the thought of getting wet, but they miss out on the visual spectacle when they close the tarp in. I, too, have a big tarp these days, but I'm always in porch mode so that I see it all.

This looks like a very good hammock for lots of people, but especially those who have not already invested in a tarp. The only thing about setting the tarp up wide is the length of line needed to do that. Can porch mode it on one side which helps, but would be a lot of line used on the other side.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    The only thing about setting the tarp up wide is the length of line needed to do that. Can porch mode it on one side which helps, but would be a lot of line used on the other side.
    I believe the stock guy lines that come with the tarp are more than long enough to setup in porch mode, although I have not tried that yet. If the weather is promising I generally setup the tarp and then either put it back into the snake skins or just throw half the tarp back to the other side. I only put it into proch mode during the day if it is actually raining or imminent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast