DIY 1.7 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY 1.9 PU nylon
    Insulation
    DIY APEX 5.0 TQ/BQ
    Suspension
    Becket or Whoopie
    Images
    I use 6' whoopies and 6' tree straps and haven't had a problem. I generally use the tree strap and a slippery Becket hitch to the loop on my hammock unless the span is long or the trees are large. When I need the extra length, I larks head the whoopies to the loop on the hammock and use a marlinspike hitch for the connection between the whoopies and the tree straps.

I also would not be caught without a ridgeline. I agree with the others that it is worth trying even if you make a temporary paracord one to try it out. It helps IMMENSELY when setting up, especially during that initial learning curve.

Best of luck,

Corwin

I use straps of different sizes. Instead of two 8' straps I have a 6 and 10. This is better if I have a larger tree, and I usually would have a large tree on one end.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym & Safari
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Do you have your whoopies larksheaded directly to the hammock? One option would be to make some CL's and use those on the hammock. That way, you can attach the CL's directly to your webbing via a marlin spike hitch or Beckett hitch when your trees are close/small, or you can attach the whoopies bewteen the CL's and the whoopies when your trees are far/big.

Quote Originally Posted by diy_john View Post
    Definitely agree with kitsapcowboy on the ridgeline. But on the other topic I carry one extra continues loop and two dog bones 18 in. With that and a little ingenuity I have been good to go. And I run CL on both ends of the hammock before the whoopie too. But otherwise the same set up as you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    I agree with both of these options.
    Another thing to consider might be the Dutch spiders. They attach to your tree strap and allow easy adjustment if/when attached directly to your CL of your hammock. Not necessary, as you could do this with the Beckett's hitch, but very simple and light.

Bob
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123