11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps

IL > Potential Hang Location> Kingston, IL 60145

I just spoke with Lindsey at Walcamp Outdoor Ministries & Retreat Center. They are open year round and are open to the idea of having us hang there during their non-summer camp times or when the kids are not there during the summer (Friday - Sunday). Perfect summer timing for us since we camp on the weekends!

They do not have a "group" site, but she thought the area around their tree house village might work well for us. They rent out the treehouse for $20 a night.

We would need to get eyes on the ground. Lindsey said someone could stop by and receive a tour. Looks like they are willing to work with us!

Here is their website: http://www.walcamp.org/

Their address is:
    Walcamp Outdoor Ministries and Retreat Center
    32653 Five Points Road
    Kingston, Illinois 60145
    Phone (815)784-5141

If you could be in the area to receive that tour, please let us all know.

The Google map has HF members placemark 201, hippofeet & ryan8tor as the closest members to this location. Does anyone know any these members?
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge, Towns End
    Tarp
    Noahs 12x12
    Insulation
    JarB UQ, Wolf TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Karla "with a k", I am new to the forum and new to hanging. I did get some of my gear tested this Sunday, no overnight, just getting things 'tweaked'. I don't live far from Kingston, IL. I might be willing to meet up with someone to 'check' things out. Since I am not an experienced 'hanger', being with a more experienced person would be a god choice. I'll keep checking this posting to see if there are any takers. canoehang

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by canoehang View Post
    Karla "with a k", I am new to the forum and new to hanging. I did get some of my gear tested this Sunday, no overnight, just getting things 'tweaked'. I don't live far from Kingston, IL. I might be willing to meet up with someone to 'check' things out. Since I am not an experienced 'hanger', being with a more experienced person would be a god choice. I'll keep checking this posting to see if there are any takers. canoehang
    Ok, sounds good. If there isn't anyone else who could tag along, I could always show you some pictures and tell you about what makes for a good site. You could also take pics/video when you got there. Let's keep the line of communication open on this one. No hurry on checking this one out. If summer or fall doesn't work, finding good winter sites can be difficult too when a number of state parks completely close their camping.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge, Towns End
    Tarp
    Noahs 12x12
    Insulation
    JarB UQ, Wolf TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a plan. Photos of god sites and tips on what to look for, besides trees would help. Maybe I'll reach out to them this spring, before all their camps start up. I'll let you know before I head over that way.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by canoehang View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Photos of god sites and tips on what to look for, besides trees would help. Maybe I'll reach out to them this spring, before all their camps start up. I'll let you know before I head over that way.
    There is a member Benji who also lives close. Maybe the two of you could get the tour together? I'll send him this thread.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Too much Dutchware
    That's just >30 minutes south of me. I work most weekends so I miss out on the group hangs. I'll see if I can check it out, maybe during the week.
    Last edited by Benji; 04-16-2017 at 11:47.
    When you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, remember - your half way to somewhere

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    The place is called Walcamp Outdoor Ministries and Retreat Center. Their phone number is 815-784-5141. I spoke with Lindsey on the phone. She is the one who said the treehouse area *might* be a spot for us.

Since it is a private campground and we want to work with them, a tour should be set up.

I'm totally ok if Benji or Canoehang or both of you check out the spot. If you can take video (or just pictures) of the area, that'd be great. We are looking for trees that are 7-8 steps apart without a lot of brush/ trees in between (so there is room for the tarp) or if the camp is ok if we remove some of the underbrush for them.

• + New Posts