Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Do I need a more versatile tarp?

I've been reading up on how ultralight ground dwellers use square and rectangular tarps in so many different configurations. I'll hang any day that I can but I'm planning some trips in the next year that will probably involve at least one night above treeline or in beach/desert environs.

I have a Zpacks cuben diamond with a 130" ridgeline, that measures 102" X 64.5" on the sides. With no extra tie outs for ground pitches, I don't think it fits the bill. It's also small compared to say an 8.5' square. It's super light but minimal coverage for my 11' hammock.

I also have an HG standard with doors. I thought it would be the last tarp I ever bought. It would make a large A-frame ground tarp, maybe too large.

I'm thinking about a square OR rectangular tarp that I can hang at a diagonal. Has anyone used a 6x9, 8x10 or even a square 8.5 x 8.5? I would want lots of tie outs, including under the ridgeline and along the perimeter. Preferably cuben or Silpoly. I might even sell the Zpacks tarp to trade up if it's light enough.

Thanks in advance with experiences and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I'd say yes to that but not probably for the reason you're thinking. Most of those other configurations look cool on video "wow so versatile!" But as a practical matter you probably won't stay dry using any of them aside from the normal A-frame or lean-to. I tried them first before I got into hammocking. One of my first experiments with hammocks was actually using the tarp as a hammock with one half over the ridgeline as a roof... There's a video of it that keeps popping up on here occasionally which was where I got my idea...Was wet and cold, LOL...fail... They all work ok so long as there's no serious rain, and you'll feel sheltered when it's not raining, but in the end, the point is to stay dry. So yes, a bigger more versatile tarp is what you want, but no need to mess with the tarp origami​. You want the water to drip off, over there, away from your bedding, not run down and follow the tarp underneath you. Ground cloth should be separate from roof, roof should direct water away, and if you make a little tarp pyramid that folds under, you're just bringing the water under too, not away...

Honestly, I started out with a minimalist tarp, and have gone the other way with each new tarp, bigger and bigger... I'm up to a 13' OldManWinter... But then, I'm on a bicycle, too, and the weight isn't a big issue for me, I like the extra coverage, and I like that I can put it up high enough to stand under it if I want.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    I've been reading up on how ultralight ground dwellers use square and rectangular tarps in so many different configurations...

I'm thinking about a square OR rectangular tarp that I can hang at a diagonal. Has anyone used a 6x9, 8x10 or even a square 8.5 x 8.5? I would want lots of tie outs, including under the ridgeline and along the perimeter. Preferably cuben or Silpoly. I might even sell the Zpacks tarp to trade up if it's light enough.

Thanks in advance with experiences and advice.
    I made these... (A sub-9 oz 6' x 9' rectangle tarp that's a hammock wide asym with multiple additional ground pitches)

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Simple-quot-)
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1714053

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    I'd say yes to that but not probably for the reason you're thinking. Most of those other configurations look cool on video "wow so versatile!" But as a practical matter you probably won't stay dry using any of them aside from the normal A-frame or lean-to. I tried them first before I got into hammocking. One of my first experiments with hammocks was actually using the tarp as a hammock with one half over the ridgeline as a roof... There's a video of it that keeps popping up on here occasionally which was where I got my idea...Was wet and cold, LOL...fail... They all work ok so long as there's no serious rain, and you'll feel sheltered when it's not raining, but in the end, the point is to stay dry. So yes, a bigger more versatile tarp is what you want, but no need to mess with the tarp origami​. You want the water to drip off, over there, away from your bedding, not run down and follow the tarp underneath you. Ground cloth should be separate from roof, roof should direct water away, and if you make a little tarp pyramid that folds under, you're just bringing the water under too, not away...

Honestly, I started out with a minimalist tarp, and have gone the other way with each new tarp, bigger and bigger... I'm up to a 13' OldManWinter... But then, I'm on a bicycle, too, and the weight isn't a big issue for me, I like the extra coverage, and I like that I can put it up high enough to stand under it if I want.
    I took my HG standard tarp with doors out again, and it's only 10.1 oz including guylines on all the perimeter tie outs (except one door), and a snakeskin. I don't know that I'll find anything that weighs less than that and it should make an awesome A frame.

I'm actually worried it would be too big for some locations, with the doors getting in the way of a taut pitch, but I guess I could tie them back like I do in the hammock sometimes. The only ground pitch that looked useful is the one kitsapcowboy posted. Seems like I would just need to add a tie-out in the middle of the tarp edge to do that. Anyone have experience adding a sturdy tie-out on the edge of a cuben tarp?

Thanks,
    Slbear

I don't think you need a lot of tie outs to pitch on the ground. I rode out a hail storm under an OES Standard which is 125x84 with no issues. Pitched it like I would over a hammock. Used hiking poles on the ends and pitched the sides down to the ground. I was with a buddy and both of us stayed dry along with our gear. It works, you're just sleeping on the ground so I only do it when I have no trees.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper XL DIY Bugnet
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm in the same boat as you except I'm trying to decide between a hex or a hex with doors.

I used to use an 8.5 square tarp and it sucked. Way too exposed.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Extra tie-outs can easily be added with any of the tarp clips out on the market (these happen to be my favorite). No modifications to your existing tarp are required and you can save some money on a new tarp with a bunch of extra tie-outs that may or may not work for you.

• + New Posts