Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Good way to look at it...I agree. I tend to like less coverage than most, I think, even in the winter. If my insulation is good enough, I can keep my views and not shut myself off from the reason I'm in the woods anyway. I think a Deluxe with beaks might be just the right balance for me, and still big enough for Joker and I to both hang under.

I've heard about the noise...like a beating drum. From all the other users here...has it been so bad you couldn't sleep?
    The rain noise on spinn never bothered me either. You've got the hammock sock thing nailed down, a Spinn/DLX and a sock might be the way to go. You need a good windproof cooking system like a caldera cone or something, that DLX isn't going all the way to the ground like a Speer Winter Tarp.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use a Jetboil and I always have a torso pad for a bigger windblock if I need it, so I'm good there.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    An overall savings of 5-6 ounces is worth it, IMO.
    I use a Jetboil and I always have a torso pad for a bigger windblock if I need it, so I'm good there.
    Now there's an opportunity to save at least 5-6 ounces

I know -- HYOH -- but I just couldn't resist
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah, I know. Sometimes I bring an alky but usually I go for the convenience of the JB. The wind resistance is great...especially when I don't have a massive tarp like you other folks carry!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    But, with Spinn you also don't need line tensioners on your guy lines (Spinn doesn't stretch like silnylon does).
    I have a question about that...or should I say ZQ does. Since OES silnylon and SpinnUL tarps are completely edged with grosgrain, which doesn't stretch, why are tensioners needed at all. Isn't the grosgrain holding the shape regardless of what the material is doing? Why go Spinn? Except for weight differences over Sil, neither Sil nor Spinn should stretch. Tensioners for the stretch factor are not necessary. They do, however, provide movement for wind stress, tripping and falling into your tarp, etc....
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    From my experience, all silnylon tarps (at least the ones I've used) will stretch to some extent. How do I know? If you measure the length of the tubing on the self-tensioning-line when you first set up your tarp and again in the morning, the tubing will be shorter in the morning. The difference in tubing length is how much the sil has stretched. I haven't actually measured the difference with a ruler, but I have visually observed it in the field.

The grosgrain may well reduce the amount of stretch (I'm not sure of this), but it doesn't appear to eliminate it. The amount of stretch is also affected by the amount of moisture; either from rain or dew. The more moisture, the more stretch.

In dry conditions you may not even notice the stretch other than a minor amount of sag in your tarp in the morning. The reasons you want to eliminate the stretch is IMO twofold: (1) to avoid the noise of the now limp tarp flapping in the wind and (2) to avoid the damp tarp from contacting your bug net and thence dripping onto you or your insulation.

Until I actually receive my SpinnUL tarp I won't have any personal experience with this material; but its widely reported to be completely free of stretch.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, if I set-up any of my MacCats overnight with tensioners attached, the overnight stretch is clearly visible in the morning. I've set-up my Spinn MacCat with tensioners overnight, but there is no noticeable difference in the morning. Tells me everything I need to know about the stretch factor of Spinn; if there is stretch, it is absolutely minimal and has no impact on the performance of the tarp.
    Trust nobody!

I think 2Q brings up an interesting point though and that is why couldn't someone build the tensioner into the pullout instead of having it on the guyout line. I would think this would allow you to pitch closer to the ground.

I haven't totally figured out how to do it but it seems doable maybe using some flat elastic for the guyouts. I haven't really had to play with tensioners because I jumped into Spinn out the door.

DG

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    If youre looking for close to the ground performance with a tensioner, you can go the MYOG route, run it through the D-ring and place both loops over the stake.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    I have a question about that...or should I say ZQ does. Since OES silnylon and SpinnUL tarps are completely edged with grosgrain, which doesn't stretch, why are tensioners needed at all. Isn't the grosgrain holding the shape regardless of what the material is doing? Why go Spinn? Except for weight differences over Sil, neither Sil nor Spinn should stretch. Tensioners for the stretch factor are not necessary. They do, however, provide movement for wind stress, tripping and falling into your tarp, etc....
    I have a thought... and it may be completely wrong... so here it goes.

(Unless Brian is using Polyester Gross Grain) GG is Nylon. Nylon stretches, even webbing. There's part of it.

The other part is due to the curves. The length of gross grain from tie-out to tie-out is longer than the straight distance from point to point. This arc will want to straighten out as the silnylon fabric relaxes over time, which will increase the sag.

I do think there may be some added resistance to the overnight sag due to the edge binding, but not necessarily as much as I would initially think. And there is certainly added abrasion resistance. Plus... it really looks cool.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123