Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    I've got a 2-3 year old silnylon Deluxe which is easily my favorite tarp for 3-season use. I've been very tempted by the SpinnUL version. According to Brian's website, the Spinn version weighs 2.9 ounces less. But, with Spinn you also don't need line tensioners on your guy lines (Spinn doesn't stretch like silnylon does). So I figure probably another 2 ounces saved (1/2 ounce each line) for an approximate total of 5 ounces.

The question I have is volume -- does the Spinn version require any less pack volume?
    BC;

I've found that initially when you're packing the Spinn version in its bag, it is a little more difficult to stuff. More slipperly...and noisy of course. When all is said and done, it packs just about as small as the Sil. Once it's stuffed, it compresses down in your pack to nearly nothing and I don't even notice a difference when I'm loading my pack. Worth every penny.
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BC - I was thinking the same thing about not needing tensioners. An overall savings of 5-6 ounces is worth it, IMO.

I've gotten great coverage from the MacCat Standard, especially when I'm alone...but a Deluxe with beaks would be just enough more coverage to justify a new tarp for Joker and me to hang during winters here in CO. I have the JRB 11x10 if we really need more coverage, but even that isn't quite enough to close the doors with both of us in there...so this way I'd have the JRB and doors if I were expecting a storm.

Hrm...not that I need to spend the money. This move kinda put a hurtin' on us while we were waiting for the house to be ready. But I think I know what my birthday present is gonna be! Might just be time to clear out the gear closet a bit to free up some funds...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    BC - I was thinking the same thing about not needing tensioners. An overall savings of 5-6 ounces is worth it, IMO.

I've gotten great coverage from the MacCat Standard, especially when I'm alone...but a Deluxe with beaks would be just enough more coverage to justify a new tarp for Joker and me to hang during winters here in CO. I have the JRB 11x10 if we really need more coverage, but even that isn't quite enough to close the doors with both of us in there...so this way I'd have the JRB and doors if I were expecting a storm.

Hrm...not that I need to spend the money. This move kinda put a hurtin' on us while we were waiting for the house to be ready. But I think I know what my birthday present is gonna be! Might just be time to clear out the gear closet a bit to free up some funds...
    Look at it this way, with a spin DLX, you save the weight of Griz's beak or so. A couple of times I've only been able to locate suitable trees that happened to be perpindicular to a pass/gap. When the wind came up during the night it nearly got ugly one night. That beak would have been just the ticket, maybe not for winter winds but it should make you nearly impervious to windblown rain.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    hmmmmmmmmmmm might have to make one of those spin tarps... been thinking about it...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

I'm of a same mind. In fact, a member PM'ed me offering to buy my current silnylon Deluxe. We made that deal work and now I've gone and ordered the SpinnUL Deluxe from Brian!!! I hadn't planned on doing it right now, but heck the stars were aligned just right.

Like you, I've also got the JRB 11x10 for more inclement weather.

Goody goody......new toys to play with
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm glad this thread is throwing more business Brian's way. You won't be dissapointed I can't wait till spring so I can take this bad boy on its maiden voyage.

I have the spinn deluxe and like the coverage it provides. I am not a fan of how noisy it is though, even when pulled taught it is much louder than a sil nylon tarp. It is loud enough that I have considered ear plugs on a windy/rainy nights.

I also am always scared to death that I am going to damage the tarp when setting it up in the wind. It feels less durable than Silnylon. I believe that Brian's testing may have found the same thing, unless I read the results incorrectly.

Other than that, I have made my own version of the grizz beaks and find they work well and turn the tarp into a 4 season rig within a matter of seconds.

DG

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Look at it this way, with a spin DLX, you save the weight of Griz's beak or so. A couple of times I've only been able to locate suitable trees that happened to be perpindicular to a pass/gap. When the wind came up during the night it nearly got ugly one night. That beak would have been just the ticket, maybe not for winter winds but it should make you nearly impervious to windblown rain.
    Good way to look at it...I agree. I tend to like less coverage than most, I think, even in the winter. If my insulation is good enough, I can keep my views and not shut myself off from the reason I'm in the woods anyway. I think a Deluxe with beaks might be just the right balance for me, and still big enough for Joker and I to both hang under.

I've heard about the noise...like a beating drum. From all the other users here...has it been so bad you couldn't sleep?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The pitter-patter of rain on Spinn has never kept me awake for more than a minute or so. I actually like the sound, reminds me of when I was a kid and my grandparents lived in a house with a tin roof.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

MacCat Tarp

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Raul, glad the tarp got to you safely and it looks like a great fit. Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Babelfish - your tarp is going out in the mail first thing next week, it's just about done and I should be seam sealing it tomorrow morning.

YOU ROCK Brian!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast