Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Econ Quilts Unboxing Review

Just received my econ 40* set today. Less than two week turnaround, awesome! Quality is exactly what you'd expect from HG. Construction/fit and finish is identical to my regular Incubator, fabric is nice although not as papery thin as Argon, weight increase will only be noticeable if you're the most diehard of ultralighter. Used the Burrow on my bed last night, had to open it up or I got too warm. Haven't had them outside yet, but it would appear from everything that unless that extra few ounces actually matters to you, and it should be reiterated that these are still a solidly lightweight option, this is absolutely the best value currently going in quilts and highly recommended.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    Nice, thanks for the report bamudd. My 40 degree set should be arriving any day.

One thing I will note that I intend to keep an eye on: there were a few loose pieces of down in the bags with the quilts. Not an alarming amount, and I don't think I've ever received a new quilt without a few loose pieces, but without a track record on how downproof Ion really is, I'll update with use if it seems to be leaking. At this point, I'm writing it off as normal with a new quilt.

Just as I little feedback from my Econo quilts I did not have any loose down in either of the bags so hopefully, yours was a fluke. I have not tried the Argon yet but was very impressed with how soft the Ion is so far. I got mine 2 days ago. Love both of them.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Pictures or it didn't happen. Colors?
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Excellent, I'm totally eyeing a 40° set myself to go with the 0° argon set I already have. My custom Burrow has a 67 taffeta in/90 out and my Dutch edition Incubator is 90 out/67 in. How does the Ion feel compared to these ? I definitely don't need the set, but my OCD is driving me nuts BC the down 40° set I have now is mismatched lol. And I have more than enough synthetic quilts to be covered from 10° all the way up. But the only down I have is my 0° set and my CDT set. Ugh! My wife is so gonna kill me, but the price is just toooo hard to pass up for such AMAZING craftsmanship and service. Anyone have some up close pics of the Ion?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Pictures or it didn't happen. Colors?
    Pics will have to wait lol. Matched set of olive drab outside, charcoal grey inside. They didn't have a problem with special request interior color.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Excellent, I'm totally eyeing a 40° set myself to go with the 0° argon set I already have. My custom Burrow has a 67 taffeta in/90 out and my Dutch edition Incubator is 90 out/67 in. How does the Ion feel compared to these ? I definitely don't need the set, but my OCD is driving me nuts BC the down 40° set I have now is mismatched lol. And I have more than enough synthetic quilts to be covered from 10° all the way up. But the only down I have is my 0° set and my CDT set. Ugh! My wife is so gonna kill me, but the price is just toooo hard to pass up for such AMAZING craftsmanship and service. Anyone have some up close pics of the Ion?
    Fabric feel: I mean they're all light to ultralight nylon taffeta so they're going to feel fairly similar. The primary difference apparent at first glance without a direct side to side comparison is that Ion doesn't feel whisp thin like Argon 67 does. It's still lightweight and high quality, noticeably thinner and lighter than say the vast majority of what you'd get at REI, but it doesn't have the almost gauzy transparency of Argon. I would suspect that it will be more durable, and is of course slightly heavier.

I haven't actually looked at them side by side though, will pull one of each out and compare.

Bottom line: I would still consider this a premium line compared to selection of mass manufactured goods available from brand names at big retailers.

Hammock
    SBP, Orange Crush
    Tarp
    HH Deluxe
    Insulation
    Burrow/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    AHE Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BMathews View Post
    Just as I little feedback from my Econo quilts I did not have any loose down in either of the bags so hopefully, yours was a fluke. I have not tried the Argon yet but was very impressed with how soft the Ion is so far. I got mine 2 days ago. Love both of them.

Yeah, my quilt didn't have any loose down either. It seems very well made. Can't wait to take it out.

Still no pictures?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast