Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!

Hanging off of my motorcycle?

I know, it's probably crazy! I like to take long trips on my bike, and the last few years have all been to areas that have plenty of trees. In planning some upcoming trips, I've realized that I will be going to places that may not have trees. I plan on getting at least one of Tiggz no-ground poles, but I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get two.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the motorcycle as one anchor point, and the no-ground pole as the other in the event that I can't find a single tree, pole, etc. to use as one anchor. In my head, I see one end of the hammock attached to the bike at the handlebars, and across the seat to the back of the bike. This would make the force pull against the center stand, so there wouldn't be risk of the bike falling of the stand in that direction. Side-to-side movement could be an issue though.

My main concern is the bike toppling over, but I also wonder about the height issue. The secondary concern is the height of the anchor point. It would likely only be about 4' off of the ground.

Am I completely nuts? Maybe I need someone to talk some sense into me...

I really don't want to go to ground if I can avoid it. I sleep much better in the hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Ill-advised, IMHO; the shear and/or lateral forces your live load would impart to the bike are likely to be substantial, and it just isn't worth the risk of dumping you and your bike on the ground. I used to motorcycle camp quite a bit, and on some road shoulders or grassy clearings just finding finding a firm patch for the centerstand was a challenge. Those No-Ground Poles look like awesome pieces of equipment -- I've been severely tempted to obtain a set -- so if I were in your shoes (or on your tires), I'd get one for each end and hit the road in style. (The car camp version of the No-Ground Poles still breaks down to 18" length or so, fine for sidebags, and the weight won't really matter on the bike.) Good luck with your adventures.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Nowhere near enough height on a bike even if you could prevent it from being pulled over. Never tried it so I'd love to be proven wrong but think about how high you put tree straps etc when setting up on trees.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    I guess it's a great excuse to get more gear...

Thanks for the help! I suppose the cost of 2 ground poles vs. 1 is not even close to the cost of the damage that could be caused if the bike or I break!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by draco_1967 View Post
    I guess it's a great excuse to get more gear...

Thanks for the help! I suppose the cost of 2 ground poles vs. 1 is not even close to the cost of the damage that could be caused if the bike or I break!
    Definitely this. Plus you don't have weight (but you do have packability) concerns, unlike we hiking folk!
    The want of wandering, and a welcomed whimsy.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    A steak and a tether would keep your bike from falling over, but as others have stated it would be high enough:<)
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Been there, done that. if you have a pole for one end and just need to tie to another end, there is ALWAYS something to tie to... you may need to get creative, but I did a trip on the bike around the US and always hung. and I needed 2 "trees". don't hang off the bike, sure you COULD do it, but it's really unstable and just not worth it. (it IS high enough but you won't have a lot of ground clearance) and remember the higher you hang on the bike the more it will pull. think of a lever with the ground as your fulcrum point.
    Now if you ignore everyone's advice and just have to see if it's possible, at least have the bike lean AWAY from the hammock, so hang either from the tail or the side opposite the kick stand. but be aware you will most likely end up with a damaged bike and bruised ego.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    Ok, that's pretty sweet! Too bad they don't make them for bikes other than HD. I'm sure I could come up with something like that for mine (Yamaha FJR1300), but it will probably be easier to just go with Tiggz poles (and about 1/3 the cost!). That is definitely an awesome product though!

• + New Posts