Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing

Going to Ground

I bought a gossamer gear 1/4" thick foam pad to use as a hammock pad. I've upgraded to quilts but I'm still debating on carrying the pad with me to use in case I have to go to ground. I can also use it as a sit/lounge pad.
    Would this pad be able to insulate me if I needed to go to ground or should I use the Z Lite Sol instead?

Thanks for your input!!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Really just depends on the individual situation. If you are unsure whether an area has hanging opportunities try and scout it ahead of time or see if someone already has scouted it. If that's not possible then bringing the extra weight might be the way to go. Pretty sure those 1/4 pads will get you decently low temps if you have to go to ground. If you are going to an area that is heavily wooded then likely you are going to needlessly burden yourself with the extra weight.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing

Going to Ground

Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Really just depends on the individual situation. If you are unsure whether an area has hanging opportunities try and scout it ahead of time or see if someone already has scouted it. If that's not possible then bringing the extra weight might be the way to go. Pretty sure those 1/4 pads will get you decently low temps if you have to go to ground. If you are going to an area that is heavily wooded then likely you are going to needlessly burden yourself with the extra weight.
    I guess what my question really is is if the gossamer gear pad does provide adequate insulation for using on the ground.
    I'm not sure of its rating but I figured there would be a few people on here that have used it and could share their insight.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzo909 View Post
    I guess what my question really is is if the gossamer gear pad does provide adequate insulation for using on the ground.
    I'm not sure of its rating but I figured there would be a few people on here that have used it and could share their insight.
    Many UL hikers use Gossamer Gear's 1/8" pad for thru hikes and ground sleeping, and the two pads are the same foam. The hammock specific pad is simply wider (and obviously twice as thick) but otherwise the same as the products they offer ground dwellers, so you ought to be fine. It is not going to offer the comfort of an inflatable or a zlite but as an emergency measure it will work. Many people cut foam pads for ground sleeping down to torso length to save weight and use their empty packs under their legs.

I carry an 1/8" GG pad as the structure to my frameless pack, as a sit pad, and for sub freezing nights as an underleg pad while sleeping since I use a short underquilt.

Hope this allays your worries!
    The want of wandering, and a welcomed whimsy.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
    Many UL hikers use Gossamer Gear's 1/8" pad for thru hikes and ground sleeping, and the two pads are the same foam. The hammock specific pad is simply wider (and obviously twice as thick) but otherwise the same as the products they offer ground dwellers, so you ought to be fine. It is not going to offer the comfort of an inflatable or a zlite but as an emergency measure it will work. Many people cut foam pads for ground sleeping down to torso length to save weight and use their empty packs under their legs.

I carry an 1/8" GG pad as the structure to my frameless pack, as a sit pad, and for sub freezing nights as an underleg pad while sleeping since I use a short underquilt.

Hope this allays your worries!
    That pretty much answers all of my questions. If I were to carry it it would be for an emergency situation and comfort around camp. But if it didn't have a tolerable degree of insulation it would be pointless.
    Thanks for the response!

• + New Posts