Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images

Pulling the trigger on an NX-270

Wow, it's been years I guess since I've been active here. I'm finally going to go ahead and upgrade from my North American to the NX-270. I've done a good number of hikes with my Clark and while there are still things I don't like about it it's been reliably useful and it's the warmest hammock I have. I have used the Warbonnet BB XLC too but I have found while I enjoy the flatter lay in that one, when it gets cold I can't hold that lay. The quilt always migrates off my shoulders and feet and I wind up with frozen feet and that is impossible for me to sleep through. So I end up having to lay more like the Clark anyway to keep my under quilt working well.

I've been wanting the bigger clark since they first offered them. Looking forward to trying it out this spring and fall. Warbonnet will remain my summer-time hammock but every time I have to deal with temps close to or below 30's I'll keep reaching for the Clark. Man the price tag smarts though. Hope to sell the NA to a good home to defer a bit of that.

My REI dividend this year mostly paid for my other toy I'm expecting Friday.... Tensile Connect

TOO THE TREES!!!!!

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Yes, the Clark NX series hammocks are premier winter hammocks, and I think the weathershield and the hoops are the key.

Lots of hammocks are made with weathershields and while they warm things up inside, it can also be like sauna inside a closed hammock. Some folks open the weathershield up to vent their breath but lose heat doing it. Plus it lets cold and DAMP air in. What I like about my NX 250 is I can lay on either side and because of the hoops holding the weathershield away from my face, and the way the hammock lays, I can stick my face out the side of the hammock and close up the weathershield around my face, venting my breath out...no heat lost and no waking up in the middle of the night with my TQ soaked from my breath. Bottom line, I wake up warm and dry.

Hammock
    Clark nx270
    Tarp
    Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG 0 degree
    Suspension
    Whoopie all in one
    I love my NX270. It was 17 F with high winds when I used it last in January. I was plenty warm.

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch bkl & whoopi
    Let us know how the Tentsile works. I've thought about that, but the reviews seem to be rather mixed.

I am being back and forth about leaving my tent for a hammock. I love my Marmot tent but it is getting old, I just had to reseal and treat it.if it does not work right.... the Clark NX-270 is "calling me". No way to test it though. Any feedback about it? I am mostly looking for a female point of view, cold sleeper. Any other "not so well" known brands that can also be used as hammock/tent?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Pulling the trigger on an NX-270

Is this hammock about 9 feet long by 4 feet wide? If you are a cold sleeper--it looks to be warm and cozy--more so if you use an underquilt. Maybe someone here has slept in Clark NX-270---and can let you know how it worked for them.
    I was at a Hang and Stubby used a Clark maybe you can Personal Message Stubby--he is smart and a cool hammocker.

If it is 9x4--I'm wondering if there is a problem with the dreaded CRP--CRP happens-haha
    Calf Ridge Pressure
    Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbavinny View Post
    Let us know how the Tentsile works. I've thought about that, but the reviews seem to be rather mixed.
    Been a while since I have been around, but I LOVE the Tentsile. I use that to sleep instead of the cot in my trailer on the hunting property all the time now. I sleep very comfortably in it. I really have no complaints about it at all. It has limitations, but then everything does.

It's a complete no-go for backpacking but in any car camping trip that has trees I'll bring it along.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akela View Post
    I am being back and forth about leaving my tent for a hammock. I love my Marmot tent but it is getting old, I just had to reseal and treat it.if it does not work right.... the Clark NX-270 is "calling me". No way to test it though. Any feedback about it? I am mostly looking for a female point of view, cold sleeper. Any other "not so well" known brands that can also be used as hammock/tent?
    I can't answer from a female perspective, but I can say that hammock camping with lows much beyond the 30's has been problematic for me whatever the brand. The Clark Z-Liner is really the best fitting insulation option I have had but it's limited thickness means that 30's are about it before I am flat out cold. 40's are the edge of really comfortable without extra measures. I've not been able to get any of my down quilts to fit very well on the Clark. Most are not really long enough for me.

My feet are the canary in the coal mine. Once they are cold it's all over but the crying and wishing I could sleep. The pockets can help add some warmth if you have some extra clothing along but they aren't magic and they don't do much to help my foot weakness.

I've tried a couple other hammocks but I came back to the Clark. Adding a ridge-line to set my sag was definitely the best thing I did with it for reliable comfort even when I have to setup in less than ideal conditions.

It might be worthwhile to see if you can buy an inexpensive ENO and try out sleeping in that a few times to see if you can get used to a hammock. It's unfortunate that we have to shell out the cash for so many options just to see if we like it at all. I took to it immediately but it took some time to dial in exactly what I was most comfortable in.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    If it is 9x4--I'm wondering if there is a problem with the dreaded CRP--CRP happens-haha
    Calf Ridge Pressure
    Good luck and have fun!
    Creating a ridge-line helped with that a lot for me. I find that usually it's a tight hang that leads to that being significant. A ridge-line setup to fix the hang angle makes it far easier to get good comfort each time.

Hammock
    clark tx 270
    Tarp
    hennessy hex 10x12
    Insulation
    E E enigma 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Yea the price smarts, but you want a solid kick *** hammock????. You found it. I love my TX 270.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast