Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone add additional down to costco down throw?

I was wondering if anyone has added down to their costco throw or costco throw mod. I plan to make a couple of underquilts and top quilts. I was thinking I'd seam rip the long seams to eliminate the square baffles then add some extra down from a different project. Hoping to increase the temp rating. I can sew, but am a newbie in the quilt realm. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts? Tips?

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I added a few ounces to a top quilt I did. It helped a bit, but you're still limited by the sewn through construction. I'm a cold sleeper, but I made it down to about 35ish before I had to bug out. Seam ripping itself helps immensely with loft since there's 1. a lot of down trapped by the sewing and 2. you get more room to loft.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    I added extra down but the problem is the sewn thru baffles, i can get mine down to about 40 deg. But i sleep frozen and am usually about 20degrees colder.
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    I nearly doubled the down in the Costco UQ. I salvaged down from a sleeping bag.

1. I measured the weight of each plastic bag and filled it with down. Then I could subtract the weight of the bag to know how much down I was actually working with.
    2. Once I had the total weight of down I was able to divide by the number of channels (I was doing 2 UQs - so I divided by 20). This meant I was adding 17 or 18 ozs of down per channel.
    3. I took a small box roughly the size of a shoe box but twice as high. I lined this box with plastic. I could then set my scale at 0 (tare) and fill the box to the appropriate weight.
    4. I'd then stuff the down into the channel.
    5. Once the last channel was filled I did a rolled hem and fluffed like crazy to redistribute the down.

All of the stitching across my UQ was removed so my channels run the full length of the hammock.

Images
    Based on my experience, layering is a better strategy than overstuffing these things.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    yeah, not a lot of point unless you're also going to do the faux baffle mod, and really that's only good for the underquilt (end up with raised seams which probably wouldn't be super cozy in a top quilt)

I think leiavoia is right, for time investment and cost, just double up probably the most cost efficient

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    I added down to one of the Walmart Ozark Trail down sleeping bags which I use as my TQ. That bag has got me down to my low of 20 degress. If temps aren't below 40 I can't use that bag because it is just too warm. Seems to me that there is no reason that you couldn't do the same with the Costco throw.
    Last edited by Rifleman; 04-17-2017 at 12:17.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by underserviced View Post
    I nearly doubled the down in the Costco UQ. I salvaged down from a sleeping bag.

1. I measured the weight of each plastic bag and filled it with down. Then I could subtract the weight of the bag to know how much down I was actually working with.
    2. Once I had the total weight of down I was able to divide by the number of channels (I was doing 2 UQs - so I divided by 20). This meant I was adding 17 or 18 ozs of down per channel.
    3. I took a small box roughly the size of a shoe box but twice as high. I lined this box with plastic. I could then set my scale at 0 (tare) and fill the box to the appropriate weight.
    4. I'd then stuff the down into the channel.
    5. Once the last channel was filled I did a rolled hem and fluffed like crazy to redistribute the down.

All of the stitching across my UQ was removed so my channels run the full length of the hammock.
    Are you sure about 17 to 18 oz per channel? Or did you mean per quilt?
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by kattdogg View Post
    Are you sure about 17 to 18 oz per channel? Or did you mean per quilt?
    I actually meant 17 - 18 grams which equals approx. 0.6 oz per channel. 10 channels make the total width of my quilt.

Was the over stuffing worth it? I used it to -25c or -13F. Now I'm a warm sleeper but I'm sure glad I did it! I did the same for my TQ. Both my TQ and UQ are Costco quilts. Best dollars spent in a while - not including my RidgeRunner!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldenmeme View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has added down to their costco throw or costco throw mod. I plan to make a couple of underquilts and top quilts. I was thinking I'd seam rip the long seams to eliminate the square baffles then add some extra down from a different project. Hoping to increase the temp rating. I can sew, but am a newbie in the quilt realm. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts? Tips?
    I've gotta few extra oz added to my CDT UQ that another forum member made for me. I forget exactly how much he added, but I do know it was from a vest and is 750fp. If your interested, I just did a vid that's on my YouTube channel and in it I show the quilt so you can get a pretty good idea of how it was made and how much loft it has. Here's the link : https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=AzgF7xpJGJo . If it doesn't work, you can find my channel by searching for " Marshall chip Moore ". Ill go back through my old PM's and find who I bought it from, they can tell you A LOT more about it than I can!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast