Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock barely clearing the ground - what to do?

I set up my hammock with more than ample clearance from the ground . So high, in fact that it's hard to get into. But once I'm in it I'm usually just barely3 inches off the ground. This happened to me again this weekend and this time I paid close attention but still can't figure it out.

I'm using a DIY hammock made of single layer ripstop from Diane's fabric. The ends are whipped. Suspension is 6 foot tree straps, Whoopies and toggles. Structural ridgeline is larks headed on. In the past part of the problem was slipping straps. That didn't happen at all this time.

I weigh 250 which I suspect is part of the problem, but I wonder what else might be cotributing to the problem. The single layer nylon hammock may stretch quite a bit .... Don't know.

Can anybody give me some ideas?

Images
    Ridgeline to on the hammock if not already there.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Pics help. I'm not much lighter. Are you getting the straps high enough for a 30 degree hang angle? Ridgeline is around 83% of hammock length?

Edit: fabric type an weight? Different fabrics have different stretch. At our weight 1.6oz is the minimum for ripstop weight we should use. Even within that there's a lot of variation. I have a 1.6 hypeD hammock that has a fair bit of stretch, and a 1.6 Hexon wide that has very little stretch.

If your tree straps are not at 30 degreesish then you could be strung too tight. Stringing too tight increases the load the hammock experts on the trees, and by extension the suspension, by further extension it would also increase the load on the hammock fabric. I've experienced this creating more stretch in components.

Also, where are your straps from? If they are diy are they nylon or polyester. Nylon straps can stretch like crazy!
    Last edited by Monkeyboy42; 04-03-2017 at 21:37.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    New kits need a bit of stretch time. Any time I hang a new set up, it may take a few adjustments to get all things settled and snug, i.e., fabric, whoopies, toggles. straps all need a break in period of sorts.

Eliminate one component at a time to see where the weak link lies.
    Use as little webbing and more whoopie. This will tell you the webbing is the culprit.
    If not the webbing, have a helper measure the unweighted suspension, then measure when it is under full load for a few minutes.
    Whoopies are usually tough and non-stretch. Either the webbing or hammock fabric is at fault. A bad whoopie will show itself in a sudden boom.
    Toggles can roll and slip if not pulled tight enough.

Trees can move. In wet conditions you can topple a tree, ask Dutch..
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Images
    What kind of straps are you using? Nylon will stretch out. Polyester doesn't.

I agree on the ridgeline and angle recommendations.

I tend to set up the hammock and then have a seat in it, and see where things end up, then make some adjustments as needed. Once I'm comfortable sitting in it, I try laying down. Wash/rinse/repeat.

Hammock
    1st hammock, Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    OEM Hennessy
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    OEM Hennessy
    I weigh that much and haven't had any problems. What others have said, somethings are stretching and my guess from way over here would be straps.

Or are the trees bowing? I hate when that happens! So embarrassing!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I set up my hammock with more than ample clearance from the ground . So high, in fact that it's hard to get into. But once I'm in it I'm usually just barely3 inches off the ground.
    Can anybody give me some ideas?
    This makes me think you are setting it up with the suspension too horizontal and too low on the trees maybe? How far apart were your trees and how high were you attaching the suspension? What kind of straps are you using?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Are you using Dutch's dyneema/poly straps? On a recent trip I was lowered close to the ground three or four times (I was ready to throw my setup in the fire). I kept getting out, adjusting (even with help from a buddy) and climbing back in. We were baffled, to say the least.

I believe it was the straps' weave stretching - several have mentioned this. But I can't tell for sure. All I can say is that the next two nights I was fine

Images
    How far apart are your trees?
    A wide spacing means more suspension means more stretch.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Pics help. I'm not much lighter. Are you getting the straps high enough for a 30 degree hang angle? Ridgeline is around 83% of hammock length?

Edit: fabric type an weight? Different fabrics have different stretch. At our weight 1.6oz is the minimum for ripstop weight we should use. Even within that there's a lot of variation. I have a 1.6 hypeD hammock that has a fair bit of stretch, and a 1.6 Hexon wide that has very little stretch.

If your tree straps are not at 30 degreesish then you could be strung too tight. Stringing too tight increases the load the hammock experts on the trees, and by extension the suspension, by further extension it would also increase the load on the hammock fabric. I've experienced this creating more stretch in components.

Also, where are your straps from? If they are diy are they nylon or polyester. Nylon straps can stretch like crazy!

1. Structural ridgeline (101 inches If Iremember right but its 83 % of my 11 foot hammock- I used a calculator)
    2. 1.9 Ripstop Nylon from Joanne's fabric.
    3. 30 degrees plus or minus - this may have been a little off. I did not have ideal trees
    4. Polyester straps from Arrowhead Equipt
    5. Ridgeline is exactly 83 of Hammock length
    6. Strung from hefty trees (probably at least 12 inch dia.)

If I had to guess the strap angle and the cheapish fabric is the only thing off. I've also always wondered about the whipped ends and slipping of the whoopies although that shouldn't make that big of a difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast