Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cotton Hammock

Cotton Hammock

Has any one here made a cotton hammock? I keep a hammock hung the basement most of the time and I think cotton would be a bit more comfortable than nylon. I found some pretty soft yet thick canvas at a local store. I think I will give it a shot.

I am assuming I can just use the same build techniques that any of our lighter weight hammocks use right?

Images
    Most Brazilian hammocks are cotton, but i don't know the exact fabric for purchasing your own.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    my sunroom hammock is one of these:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Vivere-BRAZ212...vivere+hammock

it's a very nice lounging hammock, really comfortable for napping and whatnot

the clew'd ends I really like the look of, and it'd be fun to DIY that type of connection

Images
    For assembly: gathered ends may not work very well because the fabric is pretty thick. Most Mayan and Brazilian hammocks are clewed.

For something really interesting, you might look into weaving your own Mayan hammock. You need a jig, a shuttle, and a whole lot of cotton cord.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    For assembly: gathered ends may not work very well because the fabric is pretty thick. Most Mayan and Brazilian hammocks are clewed.

For something really interesting, you might look into weaving your own Mayan hammock. You need a jig, a shuttle, and a whole lot of cotton cord.
    and a week of vacation? I am not sure I am ready for that kind commitment.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Cotton canvas has been used for years as a hammock fabric. Old sailors would sew up the ripped sails and make a comfortable bed that swayed with the ship.

I would wash the canvas first. Hot water. Maybe two complete wash cycles. This will pre-shrink the canvas and tighten the weave. Preshrinking will help keep your hammock length you made it, and not shrink later. After its dry, then sew it up.
    Not all canvas is created equal. Some has good tear properties and others can be wimpy. Todays canvas is usually lots of scrap fibers for use only as a dropcloth. So hang gently.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Cotton canvas has been used for years as a hammock fabric. Old sailors would sew up the ripped sails and make a comfortable bed that swayed with the ship.

I would wash the canvas first. Hot water. Maybe two complete wash cycles. This will pre-shrink the canvas and tighten the weave. Preshrinking will help keep your hammock length you made it, and not shrink later. After its dry, then sew it up.
    Not all canvas is created equal. Some has good tear properties and others can be wimpy. Todays canvas is usually lots of scrap fibers for use only as a dropcloth. So hang gently.
    Alright, So I am pretty new to all this thread injecting stuff. Do I need to worry about anything unraveling if I wash it without hemming it?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    Alright, So I am pretty new to all this thread injecting stuff. Do I need to worry about anything unraveling if I wash it without hemming it?
    yes!
    Most raw fabric has a salvedged edge treatment. It looks like smashed or melted fabric (which it is) The process keeps the fraying to a minimum during manufacture and shipping. If your edge is salvedged, you'll need to hem the cut edges...or clean them up after washing.

Your other option is to oversize your hammock, guesstimating a 10-15% loss due to shrinkage. But that shrinkage usually effects stitches and can look wrinkly.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY 1.9 PU nylon
    Insulation
    DIY APEX 5.0 TQ/BQ
    Suspension
    Becket or Whoopie
    Images
    Dave Canterbury is putting a youth outdoors program together and shows how to make a hammock from a cotton bedsheet in this video. He got into it, and it held him, but it's obviously not big enough for an adult. For a child, on the other hand, it would be an inexpensive option to consider. For an adult, I would go at least 8 - 10 oz. canvas and put a clew on each end.

I finished up the hammock last night. It lays pretty good. I need to get a ridgeline made for it. I was hoping I could go without bottom insulation with this thick canvas but I don't think that is going to happen. So I need to figure out what I will use for that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast