Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    just an ENO doublenest right now
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps

Smile Hello from Arkansas!

I'm new to hammocks, and have high hopes that a hammock will make it possible for me to start camping again. Tons of arthritis, knee surgery, and those extra pounds that each decade seems to add on have made the ground just too darn hard for these creaky old bones. I grew up camping and miss it terribly. I won't be backpacking unless I can get some of the weight off, but if this hammock thing works out, I may switch to an indoor hammock to finally, finally get a decent night's sleep again. I sleep with 7 (yes 7!) pillows almost in a hammock-style shape trying to get the day's accumulated fluid out of all those achy joints. If I sleep more than 3-4 hours at a time, it's a miracle. Pillows shift, pressure points, etc. A good night's sleep would be very beneficial to my weight loss struggle.

I picked up an ENO doublenest on sale locally and some daisy chain straps, and I'm trying to figure out how to reasonably use my old camping gear to set myself up for a successful night. I know my knots and am comfortable in the outdoors, just new to hanging. We have tarps, pads, sleeping bags, etc. and are on a tight budget. I have a 25-year old daughter and we are hoping to have some mother/daughter campouts. (Car camping only.) She loves this idea and bought herself a hammock first chance she got when I she heard what I was looking at.

My sleeping bag is a big synthetic-stuffed Coleman that is plenty warm, but is enormous and not very stuff-able. I'm thinking for a first time out I may try to rig it as some sort of DIY underquilt (because it does not tuck well), and then toss some extra twin comforters in the car as topquilts. My daughter has a 15 degree Marmot mummy bag that should make an excellent topquilt, but can't be used as a cocoon or underquilt since it doesn't unzip at the foot. She can probably just use a pad underneath since she's still young and flexible and can tweak things around easily when she's settled in her hammock. I have no clue what temperature range we should wait for in order to not freeze or sweat with the gear we currently have. Any guesses on that or suggestions on best sleeping-bag-to-UQ rigs would also be appreciated. Also, has anyone tried using a small cheapo Wallyworld tarp underneath as a weather protector in hard rain? We get some real gullywashers here in the South. And how about mason's line vs. paracord for a ridgeline?

This looks like a friendly place. Hope to learn a lot here.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to hammock forums. Let us know if you have any questions and good luck getting in that hammock full time. There are several full time hangers on here and they may be able to offer some suggestions to get a better nights sleep.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello from Alabama. Hope the hammock brings you some relief! I am now to the point I sleep better camping than at home! I have not used a Walmart tarp for an UQ protector, but I have put an Army poncho under mine...not exact sure of the dimensions. I have used everything from a cheap carabiner to a lady's hair scrunchy (the long ones) to attach the end grommets to the hammock. I have not been in bad weather, but I think it will keep my underquilts fairly safe and dry. Plus they seem to add a few degrees to the insulation capability and help break the wind. Hopefully you can find a way to attach your sleeping bag. I have not tried doing that but maybe a closed cell foam pad might be in your budget. The best advice I have is to make a plan, get out and try it, and have an escape plan in mind in case you just get too cold. If you can try some of your ideas in your backyard, even better. I'm not able to do do that, but I always have my bugout plan but haven't had to use it yet! Also - if all you have is mason's line for a ridgeline, give it a try.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA. FYI Many people find the ENO hammocks to be too short (they are under 10'). The sweet spot for most seems to be 11'. Of course YMMV and HYOH- I'm 5'11" and sleep well in my ENO, and in my 10' table cloth hammock. Just something to keep in mind if you find comfort elusive in your ENO.

Good luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Welcome from Northern Arkansas! I started in an ENO but quickly went to a longer one. Will be hanging this Friday near Heber Springs with the family. You may not be anywhere close, but if you are I'd be happy to let you try some things out and talk about your setup! If not, plenty of folks around who can help! Happy Hanging!

Welcome! Lots of friendly people here and great resources.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefen View Post
    I'm new to hammocks, and have high hopes that a hammock will make it possible for me to start camping again. Tons of arthritis, knee surgery, and those extra pounds that each decade seems to add on have made the ground just too darn hard for these creaky old bones. I grew up camping and miss it terribly. I won't be backpacking unless I can get some of the weight off, but if this hammock thing works out, I may switch to an indoor hammock to finally, finally get a decent night's sleep again. I sleep with 7 (yes 7!) pillows almost in a hammock-style shape trying to get the day's accumulated fluid out of all those achy joints. If I sleep more than 3-4 hours at a time, it's a miracle. Pillows shift, pressure points, etc. A good night's sleep would be very beneficial to my weight loss struggle.

I picked up an ENO doublenest on sale locally and some daisy chain straps, and I'm trying to figure out how to reasonably use my old camping gear to set myself up for a successful night. I know my knots and am comfortable in the outdoors, just new to hanging. We have tarps, pads, sleeping bags, etc. and are on a tight budget. I have a 25-year old daughter and we are hoping to have some mother/daughter campouts. (Car camping only.) She loves this idea and bought herself a hammock first chance she got when I she heard what I was looking at.

My sleeping bag is a big synthetic-stuffed Coleman that is plenty warm, but is enormous and not very stuff-able. I'm thinking for a first time out I may try to rig it as some sort of DIY underquilt (because it does not tuck well), and then toss some extra twin comforters in the car as topquilts. My daughter has a 15 degree Marmot mummy bag that should make an excellent topquilt, but can't be used as a cocoon or underquilt since it doesn't unzip at the foot. She can probably just use a pad underneath since she's still young and flexible and can tweak things around easily when she's settled in her hammock. I have no clue what temperature range we should wait for in order to not freeze or sweat with the gear we currently have. Any guesses on that or suggestions on best sleeping-bag-to-UQ rigs would also be appreciated. Also, has anyone tried using a small cheapo Wallyworld tarp underneath as a weather protector in hard rain? We get some real gullywashers here in the South. And how about mason's line vs. paracord for a ridgeline?

This looks like a friendly place. Hope to learn a lot here.
    Welcome! Looks like you have come to the right place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    Hello, from MN! Welcome!
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Butt in a sling camper XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    EE Down Top Quilt
    Suspension
    Humming Bird
    Welcome! happy hanging from Michigan

Hammock
    Moskito Kakoon
    Tarp
    Byer tarp+12' Noah
    Insulation
    Snugpak underblank
    Suspension
    Byer Straps
    Welcome from Central Arkansas. I bought a snugpak underquilt (they call it an underblanket) on sale for $29. Even at full price, it is a good deal for an underquilt, and if you aren't backpacking, it is small enough. I have kept warm with it several nights at 40 degrees this year. If you are worried about your top insulation, pick up some down throws from bed,bath,&beyond or Costco for $20 each to supplement what you already have.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast