Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the best way to hang hammock to suspension line?

Hi, I am new to hammock and suspension, but read posts and watched videos in the past few days, and find it fascinating. I am about to build my first hammock/suspension, I have ripstop 1.3 and amsteel 7/64

When I use the system, I plan to have the suspension up first, tree webbing+UCR+ridge line (line with 2 eyes)+UCR+tree webbing, then after the suspension is adjusted and tight, then hang my hammock later. I figure this way I have all the freedom to get suspension right first without holding the hammock, then it's easy to hang or take down hammock as I wish, especially for the patio/backyard, does it make sense?

and the next question is, what's the best way to hang my hammock (GE with eye) to the suspension, to the UCR eye basically? I can use soft shackle to connect the 2 eyes, but that seems to be not the simplest way to do it. I like to hear your ideas.

thanks!

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to connect the hammock's ridgeline separately from the hammock? Typically the ridgeline is semi-permanently attached to the hammock. Many people who want to quickly connect and disconnect their hammock from the suspension are either larksheading their whoopie slings to continuos loops on the hammock (either in a sewn channel or larksheaded to the end) and then using a marlin spike hitch/toggle setup to connect to the tree straps or are using hardware to accomplish both of those operations. There are vendors here on HF who sell complete suspensions if you're interested.

And welcome to HF!
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to connect the hammock's ridgeline separately from the hammock? Typically the ridgeline is semi-permanently attached to the hammock. Many people who want to quickly connect and disconnect their hammock from the suspension are either larksheading their whoopie slings to continuos loops on the hammock (either in a sewn channel or larksheaded to the end) and then using a marlin spike hitch/toggle setup to connect to the tree straps or are using hardware to accomplish both of those operations. There are vendors here on HF who sell complete suspensions if you're interested.

And welcome to HF!
    thanks for the reply and welcome.

the reason I want to separate ridge line from hammock is I want to keep suspension line in backyard or patio for days at a time, so I don't have to do the whole setup everyday, without the ridge line the suspension just falls apart. if I want to use hammock I can just hook it up to the suspension, and I can take it down when not in use. I think if nothing else, I can get carabiners to quickly hook hammock to the UCR end eye, I just try to find out if there's any simple solution without using hardware that's heavy
    Last edited by ns666; 04-01-2017 at 23:38.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    ns666 take the tine to watch some videos from Shug to better understand how to hang a hammock and add a ridgeline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfBrIEH2-U&t=306s
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    I don't think what you are asking for is all that practical in the end. You want to be able to set up the suspension and have and idea of how the hammock is going to lay based off the ridgeline hooked into the suspension but separate from the hammock. Without the physical hammock there to provide some weight I'm not sure you can get an accurate idea of whether you got your hang adjusted right. And even then it's hard to know fur sure until you lie in the hammock and test the tautness of your structural ridgeline. Also if you want to replicate the same hang it's not that hard to do if none of your suspension has been adjusted. All you have to do is throw your tree straps in the same place everytime (shouldn't be hard to discretely mark the spot you hang on) and you should get the same hang provided your whoopies/cinch bugs/webbing buckles weren't adjusted.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    I would leave the straps in place once set, and keep the ridgeline with the hammock. When you take the hammock down, leave the straps in place. The ridgeline won't be adjusted while the hammock is stuffed, and re-hanging would result in the same hang (probably).

One thing to keep in mind: It takes some folk a period of time to find their 'best' setup. Even after many hangs, I still tinker with the way I set things up, including head/foot levels. I even used an adjustable ridgeline for a while, until things got dialed in. The setup I tend to use now isn't the same as the one I have used in the past. That is all to say that it is likely that leaving things set up might save you some effort, but not until you know what your full preferences are.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    I would advise against leaving your suspension up all the time. UV rays can damage suspension parts, critters can chew them if unattended, etc.

I would advise you to put an 8" Amsteel continuous loop on the end of the hammock, then either:

1. add 2 Metolious FS II mini carabineers https://www.rei.com/product/887383/m...FQu5wAod164AbA to clip to your suspension (total weight = 46 grams), or
    2. Use a Dutchware whoopie hook http://dutchwaregear.com/whoopie-hooks.html in your UCR (total weight = 6.8 grams) to attach to your suspension.

Beware! Dutch bling is addicting!

Also, don't forget that it's very important to milk your buries in a UCR.

There's no DIY fun, but I agree with Derek Hansen that the simplest system with the least amount of fiddle factor and easy deployment is this:

Eno Atlas Strap - carabineer - continuous loop - hammock - continuous loop - carabineer - Eno Atlas Strap.

If you larkshead the carabineers to your continuous loops, and attach your ridgeline to the CLs also, all that is necessary to get a good hang is place your Atlas straps at the appropriate height and clip in your hammock, pulling the ridgeline tight. Done. 1 minute deployment.

Enjoy your journey to finding a more perfect hang.
    Last edited by DannyII; 04-02-2017 at 07:45.

thanks for all the replies, I will think about it and find the best way to do it, that's the fun

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Once you find "the best way" you will continue to tinker, ever trying to find a better "best way". It's all how you define the word "best".

Easiest? See my last post - CLs, carabiners and Atlas Straps
    Least hardware? Continuous loops and straps with a sewn eye on one end and attached to the hammock with a Becket hitch on the loose end.
    Blingiest? Dutch clips, Dutch hardware on straps (lots of choices) and whoopies/UCRs.
    Lightest? Arrowhead Equipment makes a very light Hugger/mule tape option.

Watch Shug's videos, read Derek Hansen's The Ultimate Hang book and check out his website. Study what others here do. In the end, HYOH.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ns666 View Post
    Hi, I am new to hammock and suspension, but read posts and watched videos in the past few days, and find it fascinating. I am about to build my first hammock/suspension, I have ripstop 1.3 and amsteel 7/64

When I use the system, I plan to have the suspension up first, tree webbing+UCR+ridge line (line with 2 eyes)+UCR+tree webbing, then after the suspension is adjusted and tight, then hang my hammock later. I figure this way I have all the freedom to get suspension right first without holding the hammock, then it's easy to hang or take down hammock as I wish, especially for the patio/backyard, does it make sense?

and the next question is, what's the best way to hang my hammock (GE with eye) to the suspension, to the UCR eye basically? I can use soft shackle to connect the 2 eyes, but that seems to be not the simplest way to do it. I like to hear your ideas.

thanks!
    I did a bunch of research before I made my hammock and suspension system. I have a gathered end hammock with continuous loops, then soft shackles to the whoopie slings and my Adjustable Ridgeline connects to the soft shackles. With this set up you could theoretically remove the hammock from the ridgline. My Tree straps then attach to the Whoopie slings via a Marlon Spike. Anyhow take a peek at my tutorial which has hyperlinks to the youtube videos I fould most useful for each part of the build. Here is a pick of the hammock attached to the whoopie sling via the soft shackle. Let me know if you have any quesitons;
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-GillyGilligan
    Continuous Loop to Soft Shackle.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast