Underquilt, foot pad and pad as pack frame questions

Totally new to hammocking and backpacking, hoping to get some direction.

I am working on putting together my kit. I am 6'3" and am planning on making a G4 pack, and probably will use 6 sections of a thermalite Zrest for the frame. So a few questions:

I'm wondering If I had an underquilt of say 68" or so would that would as a footpad?

How much shorter on the underquilt do you think I could get away with and does it make sense to go shorter since I'll have that pad along anyway?

Also wondering how cold theoretically the thermarest as a footpad would work?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Diy argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Diy sil nylon
    Insulation
    Diy multicam uq+tq
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I don't even use an under quilt most of the time I started to go full pad all of the time. Although that should work but the whether it will keep you war or not in dependent on many factors, how cold/warm do you sleep? How cold is it outside? What kind of sleeping bag are you using? I would try to go short on the under quilt, but not to short that you will regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I use a G4 pack and I'd suggest not using the Z-rest for the "frame". I've been using length of closed cell foam pad formed into a circle internally, and stuffing my gear inside of it. The pack is much more comfortable to carry with the foam hoop inside.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by No-sage View Post
    I use a G4 pack and I'd suggest not using the Z-rest for the "frame". I've been using length of closed cell foam pad formed into a circle internally, and stuffing my gear inside of it. The pack is much more comfortable to carry with the foam hoop inside.

YMMV
    Thanks for the tip on the G4. So are you using just plain old blue closed foam? And cut down or the full 72"? Also curious if you use the 'wings' on the G4 or if they wind up being dead space. I'm making my own pack and kind of torn on the wings. I'm thinking they may be helpful for the extra bulk of a topquilt and underquilt combo, but at the same time its a big pack and wondering if they are really necessary...

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    You could likely go with an under quilt along the lines of a Warbonnet Yeti, which is 46" long. Married with a ~30" pad, this would theoretically be plenty of coverage.

I have used my z-lite as a foot pad down to around 30* in conjunction with my Yeti UQ without any trouble, and that's only 2 sections of the z-lite. If you do decide to go for the circle of CCF inside the G4 pack, I would say if you use anything 1/4" thick and up for the feet, you would likely be solid down to freezing.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    As MattK said, if you intend to carry a pad anyway, go for a 3/4 or shorter underquilt. I have a Phoenix 20 from Hammock Gear and bring a Gossamer Gear 1/8" CCF pad with me as my pack frame - either folded up inside the pack right against my back, or on my other pack it actually has shock cord on the outside of the back panel to secure a pad frame. You might consider adding this to your G4 design - all it really requires is adding four grosgrain loops on the 4 seams of the back panel.

I have camped into the twenties with just the 1/8" pad in the hammock from the back of my knees down (I'm 6'4"). YMMV but in a pinch you can always fold over the 1/8" to double its R value or stuff some extra clothes (or your empty pack - like those who use torso length pads on the ground) under there to alleviate any cold spots.
    The want of wandering, and a welcomed whimsy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I think whether a pad will work to keep you warm is only a question you can answer. I tried a short under quilt with a GG pad and my feet froze because I couldn't keep it in place. I fought that thing all night for several nights. I now only carry full length under quilts. The difference in weight between the pad and the added length of the quilt is a wash and now I never get cold feet. Of course this is seasonal and also dependent on your physical location as well.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssorck View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the G4. So are you using just plain old blue closed foam? And cut down or the full 72"? Also curious if you use the 'wings' on the G4 or if they wind up being dead space. I'm making my own pack and kind of torn on the wings. I'm thinking they may be helpful for the extra bulk of a topquilt and underquilt combo, but at the same time its a big pack and wondering if they are really necessary...
    I'm not using the "wings" at the bottom of the pack, but your right, it's big enough that I don't need the space. I use just enough pad to encircle the inside once, used only for sitting. I don't typically need a foot pad with a partial length Quilt. If it's that cold, I'm using a full length.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm intrigued by the idea of a shorter quilt. I figured before I break into the real materials I went ahead and did a test run on a Costco Quilt (well a Kohls Packable Down Quilt). I made it 60" by 46" and I think its a great length - covers me from shoulders to just above the ankles lying on a diagonal. If I'm gonna carry a pad as a frame anyway I think this is the way to go for now.

Pics of what I did...so next I'll do a baffled quilt with the same dimensions, then the pack. I'm thinking of removing the wings, we will see...

IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg

• + New Posts