Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newbie looking for advice on a set up.

Hello, I am sure this community has seen this question a million times. But, I am a newbie, trying to get into hammock camping. I have been watching Shug videos for years, and want to give it a go. I have never slept in a hammock. I have only used tents such as the Tarptent notch, for years. I am a bit confused on the technical speak, and what I should look at, as I have found so many options. I want to spend Around $400-$500 max. I am 6 foot, 220 lbs, usually a side sleeper. I currently use quilts for summer and winter, so i won't need a top quilt factored into cost. Thank you everyone in advance.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Hey smoovoperator welcome to the forums. For that kind of money you could get a nice hammock, tarp and bottom quilt and still save a bit. I first would recommend going to a local hang and I believe there's one coming up just south of Louisville in the next week or so if you are near that end of Ky. This way you can window shop and maybe even test a few setups. I've got both major types of hammock. I have the Warbonnet Ridgerunner bridge hammock and love everything about it. It's comfortable to me and it's a no fuss hammock meaning set it up and your done. There's no adjustments necessary for the under quilt like there are for gathered end hammocks. I do wish it was a bit lighter for back packing but it's so comfortable I just carry the extra weight. The other major type of hammock is a gathered end. I have 3 of these while I really like these I just can't get as comfortable as I can in my Ridgerunner. They are lighter for backpacking but getting the bottom insulation and getting the hang of hanging can take a bit more practice. My favorite gathered end is my SimplyLightDesigns hammock with my Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and Dutch hammocks a very close second. Again it's not easy to figure this all our but the good thing is if you purchase quality gear and you do not like the feel, lay, etc it's typically easy to sell the gear here with a small loss for the testing phase. Another highly rated hammock is the new Dutch Chameleon. It's a modular hammock that is getting rave reviews as do many other cottage vendor hammocks. There's also the DIY side of the hammocking world but I tend to avoid that as I have no patience and little time to deal with these types of projects but it can be very rewarding and money saving at the same time. Let us know if you have any particular questions and good luck on your quest to get above terra firma.
    PS. What part of Ky are you from? I grew up in Hart county.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing

I'm a newbie too, but I've done a lot of looking around getting into it myself. Here's a good setup that may work:

10 foot Dream Hammock Darien Model w/ cinch buckles and 10 foot webbing straps. ($117)

11' x 10' Warbonnet Outdoors Mambajamba Tarp. A little more coverage for extra protection. ($115)

Hammock Gear Incubator 40° or 20° depending on your temperature needs ($219-249)

Good luck with your setup!
    I'm really enjoying getting into it!!
    Last edited by muzzo909; 03-30-2017 at 16:37.

Thanks for the advice! I am in northern ky, but frequent the red river gorge often. I habe been around people who hang for years. I habe always been intrigued, bit never bit the bullet. So, here I am! Figuring out this site has proven a task in itself, but i am working on it. I keep reading dutch gear is great, and try his hammocks out! Thanks for the set up advice. It looks like, at least to me, the blackbird hammock is good for newbies? I am not opposed to trying out more difficult set ups, especially for weight savings. I habe read a few reviews on the mambajamba tarp, and people seem to love it! Is there a big difference between 10 and 11 foot hammocks? I think i will go the gathered end route. Once again, thanks everyone!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing

Can't go wrong with a blackbird or blackbird xlc. They're a little more expensive than other models but well worth it.
    I'm taller (6' 4") so that's why I went with an 11' hammock. More comfort for a bigger frame.
    You should be good in a 10' being that you're 6'. But 11' might be more comfortable.
    Last edited by muzzo909; 03-29-2017 at 21:00.

Thank you for the insight!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'm 5'9" and chose the XLC length of 11 foot as it was so much more comfortable to me. Less calf ridge and easier to get that lay angle.

Hammock
    WarBonnett Traveler Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down Baby, Down!
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    If you're looking at the Incubator, there is the Econ line at Hammock Gear. As I understand it, a little bit heavier, but will save some cash. But I'm not completely sure of all of the differences between the Econ vs the standard lines.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-a-Sac View Post
    If you're looking at the Incubator, there is the Econ line at Hammock Gear. As I understand it, a little bit heavier, but will save some cash. But I'm not completely sure of all of the differences between the Econ vs the standard lines.
    The differences are simply 800 duck down instead of 850 goose down, and 1.1 Ion fabric instead of 0.67 or 0.90 Argon fabric. That's it. About 4 oz heavier for each Econ quilt compared to their original brethren. About $100 cheaper too.

That is pretty nice they offer a quilt in a cheaper version.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast