Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Attaching end "caps" to a DH/Chameleon ripoff?

Hello.

In preparation for my first hammock with a detachable, zippered bugnet (basically a Dream Hammock/Chameleon ripoff), I've got most of it figured, and planned, out except how to attach the end pieces (wedges?) that go over the bugnet. On Dream hammocks (and possibly the Chameleon, I haven't seen close up pictures of it yet) they seem to be neatly sewn into the hem with two lines of stitching, which I would like to do. As far as I can understand, this would need to be done when attaching the zippers to the hems, but if I attach both sides that way then I think sewing the end channels would be a problem. Or would it?

Or am I thinking about this all wrong? That happens

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I sew end channel then add the zips then sew on the end caps.
    Tacblades

Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    I sew end channel then add the zips then sew on the end caps.
    Do you hem the sides before you attach the zipper?

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Xtrekker shows how to do this in his big net video. Have you watched it?

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    Yes. His method isn't going to work for this application.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Do you have a link to that vid? My search turned up a couple thousand threads. Might need better search terms. (apparently Xtrekker started the fantastic hangs thread!)
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    Do you have a link to that vid? My search turned up a couple thousand threads. Might need better search terms. (apparently Xtrekker started the fantastic hangs thread!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4PPMPWDH4U&t=426s

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingletrut View Post
    Hello.

In preparation for my first hammock with a detachable, zippered bugnet (basically a Dream Hammock/Chameleon ripoff), I've got most of it figured, and planned, out except how to attach the end pieces (wedges?) that go over the bugnet. On Dream hammocks (and possibly the Chameleon, I haven't seen close up pictures of it yet) they seem to be neatly sewn into the hem with two lines of stitching, which I would like to do. As far as I can understand, this would need to be done when attaching the zippers to the hems, but if I attach both sides that way then I think sewing the end channels would be a problem. Or would it?

Or am I thinking about this all wrong? That happens

Thanks!
    Dingle,

I read your post again and now I have a better idea of what you're asking. Yes, they do sew the zipper along the edges which forms the rolled hems. This results in very clean edges. However, their zippers won't even make it to the sewn channel so my assumption is that you won't have any interference. Let's do the math. A typical 11' hammock starts with a 12' piece, and 6" on each end is consumed with the end channels. Let's assume the "inside" edge of the sewn channel is 4" in from the end of the hammock. This would mean that you would need the zipper to stop 4" from the end of the finished 11' hammock for a total of a 124" zipper. BUT, you will find that the longest separating zipper sold my Dutch is 115" which means your zipper would come nowhere near your sewn channels so you won't have an issue and will certainly be able to sew the zipper right to the raw edge without having to do a rolled hem first. This will ultimately determine the size of your triangles though. 11' hammock is 132" long. Zipper is 115" so 132-115= 17". Divide that by two and you have 8.5" at each end that need to be covered up by the "caps" or triangles. Probably safer to go with something like 10" legs on the triangle.

Does that answer your question?

Dingle,

I read your post again and now I have a better idea of what you're asking. Yes, they do sew the zipper along the edges which forms the rolled hems. This results in very clean edges. However, their zippers won't even make it to the sewn channel so my assumption is that you won't have any interference. Let's do the math. A typical 11' hammock starts with a 12' piece, and 6" on each end is consumed with the end channels. Let's assume the "inside" edge of the sewn channel is 4" in from the end of the hammock. This would mean that you would need the zipper to stop 4" from the end of the finished 11' hammock for a total of a 124" zipper. BUT, you will find that the longest separating zipper sold my Dutch is 115" which means your zipper would come nowhere near your sewn channels so you won't have an issue and will certainly be able to sew the zipper right to the raw edge without having to do a rolled hem first. This will ultimately determine the size of your triangles though. 11' hammock is 132" long. Zipper is 115" so 132-115= 17". Divide that by two and you have 8.5" at each end that need to be covered up by the "caps" or triangles. Probably safer to go with something like 10" legs on the triangle.

Does that answer your question?
    Yes, that was very helpful. Thanks!

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks D! I was wondering the best way to try the bugnet.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast