Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New and Cheap hammock for canoeing in Canada

Hi everyone, I am going on a ten day trip to Ontario in July, and want to buy a new hammock to sleep in. I need a hammock that is comfortable, durable, and most importantly, cheap. Spreader bars would also be a positive. The hammock needs to be as cheap as possible. It also needs a bug net for all of the flies, and a tarp for the rain. Are there any setups available like this? Or do you have any plans for DIY hammocks like this? Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Ontario in july??. Well it depends where your paddling but i would want an integrated bug net not an add on. The black flies in ontario can be a nightmare. Personally i think a good nights sleep makes all the difference so i don't go cheap. I've been real happy with my Blackbird and you could get a hex tarp from Brandon as well. A good durable system you won't have to think about and is real comfortable. WBBB 1.1 DL and use a ccf pad.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

How cold do you think it will get? I have a zero degree sleeping bag, but am wondering what i'll need in terms of an underquilt maybe.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rankinesoccer View Post
    How cold do you think it will get? I have a zero degree sleeping bag, but am wondering what i'll need in terms of an underquilt maybe.
    Ontario in July, depending on the area can get quite hot. It is the middle of summer. Since you are from AZ according to your profile information, you are going to run into something that you may not be familiar with. Namely humidity. It gets very humid in Ontario in the summer. It is not unusual during a hot spell for the temperature to be 95F and 90% humidity for days on end which makes it feel much hotter than it is. In the last 2 years the summers have been very rainy and not overly hot with maybe a handful of days over 90F.

A zero degree bag during the height of summer will be serious overkill, unless you are a very cold sleeper to begin with. When the time gets closer to your trip, check with the locals for the summer forecast and see if the night time lows will drop below 75F. If not, you won't likely need an underquilt at all.

To answer your first question, you could try out a The Moskito Traveller hammock for a cheap solution with a bug net. As for a tarp, you can pick those up from any number of sources.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Are you hiking? Driving? Paddling?

Never mind. My bad.
    Last edited by oldgringo; 01-15-2010 at 15:55.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    When I first started looking at hammocks I was VERY interested in the Claytor Jungle Hammock, at $150 including the tarp and shipping, for July camping in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. But,I was told that shoulder squeeze could be a problem with big guys so, at 6' and nearly 300 lbs I bought a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl. and I love it .

When I got started with hammock camping, I thought I would use the hammock for only hot weather camping but, it is soooooo comfy, I stay drier off of the ground, my back decompresses while I sleep, I don't get sore shoulders and hips from the ground, and when properly insulated I stay as warm as I did in a tent. I've given up tent camping. If I had it to do over again I would have done a few things differently and taken a more 3-season aproach from the get go. It would have cost me more up front but I would have saved money in the long run. Now I'm even considering winter camping since I wont have to lay on the hard frozen ground.

I'm 15 years old and still growing, and 155 pounds at 5'10." I was looking at the HH scout, which since it is sized up to a 5'10" person, I was worried about some growing room. Can anyone advise me whether this would work?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I think the Claytor Mosquito Hammock would be a good choice for you...bombproof construction, double bottom to accomodate pads or blankets, and room for you to grow.

$150 doesn't sound cheap, but that includes evrything you need, and the postage is included.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    First thing to consider, is WHERE in Ontario you are going. Black-Flys are really only a concern in the Northern areas. Mosquitoes are bad everywhere. As has been noted elsewhere, July can get VERY humid. I was recently in Las Vegas, where the temp in the sun was 95F. This surprised me as it felt like 70F. While not a good rule of thumb I think it would be safe to add +20F to any posted temp to account for the humidity.

I live in the extreme south end of Ontario, down here (we have the Great Lakes on 3 sides!) the humidity is a bit worse then the Far North.
    You might want to consider a used Hennesy or Warbonnet, if you want to save cash.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Okay, I'm almost sold on the Claytor Mosquito hammock with the small rainfly. It's $120, sturdy and good. Has anyone used this hammock? Is it comfortable? Do you lie down diagonally?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast