Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by rankinesoccer View Post
    Okay, I'm almost sold on the Claytor Mosquito hammock with the small rainfly. It's $120, sturdy and good. Has anyone used this hammock? Is it comfortable? Do you lie down diagonally?
    I misspoke...mine is the jungle hammock. I haven't used the mosquito hammock, although it seems a tad small, to me.

You might prowl around on the Claytor forum, and see what's been said about it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Is the jungle hammock breathable? I'm in Southern Ontario, in Quetico Provincial Park, so it will be very humid.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Is the jungle hammock breathable? I'm in Southern Ontario, in Quetico Provincial Park, so it will be very humid.
    I don't mean to sound pedantic, but that is considered NORTHERN Ontario. I can't speak of the humidity up there.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Yes, it is.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Alright, thanks oldgringo for the help. Much appreciated.

Hammock
    Blackbird Double 1.7
    Tarp
    big JRB tarp
    Insulation
    JRB NoSniv/Mt Wash
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    For living in a hammock while canoeing, I'd recommend you take a really big tarp to get out of the weather, instead of relying on the small canopies some of the hammocks come with. Good place to keep all your gear dry also.

Treating the hammock bottom with permethrin would also be a good idea.
    http://www.rei.com/product/751264

I use this stuff on all my canoeing pants and shirts and will treat my hammock with it also for this upcoming June trip to the Boundary Waters.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I've camped for 25 years just south of where you are going, in the Boundary Water's Canoue Area (on the U.S. side) and I've just switched to a hammock this year. It can be hot and humid, but the coldest night that I've spent camping in my hammock up there was 35F and that was in late July. Since the weather up there is always a crap shoot, be able to adapt your system to any last minute weather reports.

DO SOAK EVERYTHING in permetherin. I've been bitten through my double layer before. Soaking the hammock keeps ticks off and also cuts down on bugs swarming, on and around the net, or under the tarp.

About Claytor Jungle Hammocks;

I don't own a Claytor Jungle Hammock but, I do own the Claytor Diamond Fly (CDF) that comes with it. It works very well and Ive taken it throught some pretty bad storms with swirling wind driven rain and stayed very dry. It is small so you do have to choose your spot wisely and pitch your sides down tight in storms but in regular rain you are fine. If I were to do it over again I would have bought a Speer Winter Tarp, for $120+ shipping. It would have given me more coverage at less weight but at $70 more + shipping I balked at the price. but, I have to admit I do like the camo on the CDF .

My cousin is the same size as you and is considering a Claytor Jungle Hammock. I think they are hammocks for guys your size but, he is also considering a Warbonnet Blackbird because he found mine to be so comfy. I'm not certain about the diagnol lay of the hammock. you may want to search some threads from a guy name Neo, he's really into them
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have spent more than 100 nights a year for more than 2 years in a Jungle Claytor and a lot of that while paddling in northern Michigan. I like the breatheability and I have been through some really bad weather with the stock diamond tarp and have been fine. One of the keys for me was learning to not hang it too tight. It is somewhat narrow and "shoulder squeeze" can occur if too tight. I am over 6 ft. tall and weight is 250.

I really like the stealthness of it as well. I can hang without feeling like I am visible within a half mile of anyone like some of my brightly covered tents did in my ground dwelling days. All in all, I have really gotten value from the Claytor JH. I am considering a WBBB as my next hammock as I have made some of my own tarps and other DIY stuff. I like the idea of the shelf and the reviews I have seen. I don't think you can go wrong beginning with a Claytor JH though. I have three of them.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    a Zero deg. C bag is not overkill for july in Quetico. A zero deg F. bag would be. If you need any help or tips on specific areas of the park, shoot me a PM. Its a great park.
    Webhost: www.ehko.info

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I picked up an HH Exped Asym a couple years ago for less that $100 new. You only find those prices from other retailers, not HH direct. I'm just a little under 6' tall and I've slept very comfortably in it on many nights though I feel it's a little too small for me.
    Eric K.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast