DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

Question Experience needed with Underground Quilts and Wilderness Logics

Hammock.jpg
    Anyone with experience with both UGQ Zepplin and Wilderness Logics full length quilts please help me out. I am going to purchase a 20 degree 800 fill down underquilt and have come to a draw with these two manufacturers. I am looking for something reliable but adaptable as I am probably going to get a new hammock. Customer service is a consideration as well I suppose if the wait were going to be ridiculous. I made my own hammock this past summer but it is far too heavy for me and will probably do another one this year.
    If possible let me know what features were most important - and help me get out in the cold!!
    Last edited by GilligansWorld; 03-28-2017 at 19:09.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    Hammock.jpg
    Anyone with experience with both UGQ Zepplin and Wilderness Logics full length quilts please help me out. I am going to purchase a 20 degree 800 fill down underquilt and have come to a draw with these two manufacturers. I am looking for something reliable but adaptable as I am probably going to get a new hammock. Customer service is a consideration as well I suppose if the wait were going to be ridiculous. I made my own hammock this past summer but it is far too heavy for me and will probably do another one this year.
    If possible let me know what features were most important - and help me get out in the cold!!
    Does anyone have any experience with either of these underquilts, perhaps I will will have to start here.

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    Perhaps it would be helpful if you tell us something abut your selection process that brought you to this draw in your decision to purchase? I don't own either quilt, but I've heard nothing but good things about either model and their vendors.

For example, I made my initial UQ decision based on the fact that I wanted synthetic fill and 3/4 length for 3 season use. My next one will be down fill, lower temperature rating, and purchased from a vendor in my home state. We all come to our decision quagmires from different angles; perhaps if you shared how you have come to yours?
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon & net
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Kevlar
    I have a WL 3/4 length 20 degree and don't love it. I borrow my friends full length EE 20 degree quilt when I can.

Compared to the EE I think the suspension of the WL is harder to adjust (only adjustable on one point and then you need to pull though compared to EE being adjustable on each side). I also think the 'cut' of the WL quilt makes it sag more in the center and be more susceptible to cold spots.

The WL quilt is well made and it "works" but its just a lot more fiddly than the EE quilt.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wtmurray View Post
    I have a WL 3/4 length 20 degree and don't love it. I borrow my friends full length EE 20 degree quilt when I can.

Compared to the EE I think the suspension of the WL is harder to adjust (only adjustable on one point and then you need to pull though compared to EE being adjustable on each side). I also think the 'cut' of the WL quilt makes it sag more in the center and be more susceptible to cold spots.

The WL quilt is well made and it "works" but its just a lot more fiddly than the EE quilt.
    Wtmurray thanks for the input!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranc0r View Post
    Perhaps it would be helpful if you tell us something abut your selection process that brought you to this draw in your decision to purchase? I don't own either quilt, but I've heard nothing but good things about either model and their vendors.

For example, I made my initial UQ decision based on the fact that I wanted synthetic fill and 3/4 length for 3 season use. My next one will be down fill, lower temperature rating, and purchased from a vendor in my home state. We all come to our decision quagmires from different angles; perhaps if you shared how you have come to yours?
    RancOr - I want to have a product that is versitile in that it adapts well to different hammocks as I will be getting another one probably this summer to cut some weight. I also want something that is by design only a 3 season, but with a little tweaking can help me out in the winter as well. I don't want to fight with the underquilt in getting it adjusted but I also want the ability to "modify" it since I don't really know what type of hammock I may end up with (probably another DIY).
    In my research I can see what the underquilts look like and at least with the UGQ Zepplin I can see how it attaches in their drawing, but I have heard great things about marty's stuff over at Wilderness Logics too - just haven't seen much on how his quilt attaches compared to the Zepplin. I also like the draft collar feature on the Zepplin but don't see any literature explaining all the "features" for both quilts.

Thanks for the help!!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    The wife and i both have UGQ Zepplins and in our opinion there isn't a better underquilt on the market today, the Zepplin is a very versatile uq as the wife has used hers on a Dream Hammock Raven, A Sparrow,a Yukon Outfitters double hammock as well as on her Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge hammock and it has adapted very well to fit each and everyone of these hammocks.
    I have used my Zepplin on my Thunderbird as well as my extra large DIY bridge and it has worked out very well every time out!
    As far as customer service goes try and contact Paul over at UGQ'S thru his website and you will see first hand that taking care of his customers is a top priority to them, thier cs is as good as it gets , very friendly and willing to take the time to answer any and all questions that you may have.
    I am abit of a gear snob and UGQ's gear is the highest quality top of the line as it gets in my opinion! As far as attaching it, it is very easy to do as everything you need is allready installed, all you do is hook the supplied s biner to your hammock suspention and pull the cord to snug it up and DONE!!,The draft collars are very nice and help to get a really nice seal that once you get it dialed in your good to go!
    Last edited by Zilla; 03-29-2017 at 13:34.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    The wife and i both have UGQ Zepplins and in our opinion there isn't a better underquilt on the market today, the Zepplin is a very versatile uq as the wife has used hers on a Dream Hammock Raven, A Sparrow,a Yukon Outfitters double hammock as well as on her Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge hammock and it has adapted very well to fit each and everyone of these hammocks.
    I have used my Zepplin on my Thunderbird as well as my extra large DIY bridge and it has worked out very well every time out!
    As far as customer service goes try and contact Paul over at UGQ'S thru his website and you will see first hand that taking care of his customers is a top priority to them, thier cs is as good as it gets , very friendly and willing to take the time to answer any and all questions that you may have.
    I am abit of a gear snob and UGQ's gear is the highest quality top of the line as it gets in my opinion!
    Zilla I truly appreciate the time and the thoughts. I am leaning towards the UGQ for 2 reasons now - your input, and from what is at least published, Paul and Missy do seem to have outstanding CS. I don't think unless I get a product "off the rack" that my wait will be expedited either company I choose but this is purely speculation. Out of Curiosity how many outings have your Zepplins been on, and what is, if any, design issues you have encountered?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    Zilla I truly appreciate the time and the thoughts. I am leaning towards the UGQ for 2 reasons now - your input, and from what is at least published, Paul and Missy do seem to have outstanding CS. I don't think unless I get a product "off the rack" that my wait will be expedited either company I choose but this is purely speculation. Out of Curiosity how many outings have your Zepplins been on, and what is, if any, design issues you have encountered?
    Well , counting the overnights spent in the back yard i would have to say around 35 to 40 nights sleep in it.
    As far as design issues i haven't found anything that i dont like, it does what it is made to do perfectly, to be honest when i first got my Zepplin i was amazed at how easy it was to get set up and dialed in, it really is a nice quilt and definitly worth the wait.
    If you have something special coming up and need the quilt in a hurry talk to Paul and sometimes he can help out with things like that.
    One time we ordered the wrong color and it weas clearly our fault and we contacted him and we had a new uq in less than a week and it wasn't even thier fault, that's great customer service.
    One last note, they are building quilts not only in standard colors but in alot of ripstopbytheroll's new printed fabrics, some of these are down right BEAUTIFUL
    Here is my wife's Zepplin

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Well , counting the overnights spent in the back yard i would have to say around 35 to 40 nights sleep in it.
    As far as design issues i haven't found anything that i dont like, it does what it is made to do perfectly, to be honest when i first got my Zepplin i was amazed at how easy it was to get set up and dialed in, it really is a nice quilt and definitly worth the wait.
    If you have something special coming up and need the quilt in a hurry talk to Paul and sometimes he can help out with things like that.
    One time we ordered the wrong color and it weas clearly our fault and we contacted him and we had a new uq in less than a week and it wasn't even thier fault, that's great customer service.
    One last note, they are building quilts not only in standard colors but in alot of ripstopbytheroll's new printed fabrics, some of these are down right BEAUTIFUL
    Here is my wife's Zepplin
    Holy Cow I watched your video on the Tarps - pretty cool!! I have seen gear out there $100 cheaper like Hammock Gear's economy line and the synthetics are quite a bit cheaper but.....Down is king for a reason --->It works better for the weight you are packing and typically tends to stand up for longer - I am willing to spend extra for a "heirloom" quality piece that can grow with me. Again much thanks for your time and your opinion. Can't say this enough but this community rocks. Ya'll help me design and build my first hammock which is awesome (just really heavy). I have a tutorial on how I did everything from the hammock to the suspension up in the articles secion - "DIY two tone Hammock" and I believe in my gallery I have additional photo's of this project. I am very newly converted to hanging but caught the bug hard - Here is a link to my first project - I call it the stinger model only for the coloring - this has the pictures but the article has the updated tutorial;

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...37#post1671637

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast