Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lower legs in bridge hammock?

Hi, everyone. I am a long-time hanger, but I have never tried a bridge hammock. I am wondering if it is possible with a bridge hammock to hang with your legs lower than the rest of your body.

This is important for me, because for some reason over the years my legs have become very susceptible to cramping if they aren't at least slightly lower than my torso when I'm laying down. (This is only after I've worked them hard, as when backpacking.) I have therefore come up with my own gathered-end design that lets me lay with my legs lower.

I was looking at Nature Calls' review of the new REI Quarter Dome bridge hammock, and his legs actually look a little higher than his torso, which wouldn't work for me. It made me wonder if all bridge hammocks are similar, since the selling point for bridge hammocks is a flatter lay than gathered end.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    It's easy to setup a bridge to have the leg end lower then the head end. Regarding your comfort, YMMV...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    You might slide down a bit, that's about it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    In my experience, the need for having your feet higher than your torso in a GE hammock is to counter act the force of gravity that makes you tend to slide to the 'bottom' of the hammock curve. With a bridge hammock there is much less a curve so I find that hanging with my feet higher is not critical. I usually just shoot for a level position. But I don't think you could actually hang with your feet lower without a tendency to slide towards the foot end.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Images
    I think what he means is not having the whole hammock feet down, but level and with the section from the knees at a slight downward angle.
    I think I have seen something like, where the bridge section is short and the legs extend beyond it into the endcaps, can't remember what it was called.

Check out the Nemo Cloudview Hammock.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    If you can make your own... WV's design comes to mind as a viable option... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-glimpse/page2

Otherwise... if you are willing to play with it... there are ways to pitch a bridge to get your feet down without sliding down.

I cannot comment on any current bridges offered for sale (the REI one doesn't actually appear to be a bridge)... I don't own them, lol.

But a recessed spreader bar bridge like Grizz's Ariel or the one's I make:

You can shorten the ridgeline (which will give the hammock a bit more sag), then hang your suspension high on the head side and almost dead level on the foot side. You will probably need a relatively short tree to tree distance to do it right if you're not tall. But what that would do is manipulate the bridge shape so that your torso was pretty flat/level and your feet were even or down without sliding excessively.

Otherwise... if you had a recessed bar bridge that also had an adjustable end that hung out pretty far... you can sleep with your torso in the middle of the bridge and the bar around your knees. Feels a bit like those older three section folding sun chairs with the lowest section folded down.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    I think what he means is not having the whole hammock feet down, but level and with the section from the knees at a slight downward angle.
    I think I have seen something like, where the bridge section is short and the legs extend beyond it into the endcaps, can't remember what it was called.
    Yup, that's exactly what I would be wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    Check out the Nemo Cloudview Hammock.
    Yes, that looks really interesting. Too bad about the weight – if it wasn't so heavy I'd try it.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxhanger View Post
    Yup, that's exactly what I would be wanting.
    My micro bridge does that. The poles are just above your head, and around mid thigh. As far as I know that's the only bridge that has that dramatic of a bar to bar distance (about 4' pole to pole).

But sounds like an Amok Dramor is the best bet for the OP.

Besides not being for sale... the only reason to use my Micro is for SUL LD hiking or FKT trips (that's the only people i sell it to). It's comfy for what it is (9.125 ounce bridge)... but not a casual rig and it's best for side sleeping not back sleeping.

IF somebody really wanted to take one on... i could sketch up a pretty good plan for an Ariel in that style... but i think Grizz may even be working on that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast