Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Over night hammock camping

Wanting to make the switch from a tent to a hammock. What is the best bang for your buck hammock, bug net and weather tarp for sleeping multiple days in a hammock. Any advice is appreciated. thanks

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    With all the links to follow and threads to read, I can't say that I've come across any bad bangs among the many choices that pop up in HF. An expensive system that lasts for years and years may be just as good of a buck bang as a relatively inexpensive system that holds up for 2-3 years. Do you have a budget in mind? Better yet - what kinds of multiple day outings are you planning? Wilderness - desert - swamp - car camping, etc. More info on your plans makes it easier to steer advice your way. Hope this gets things started for you.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Our kits are heavily discounted to get beginners up off the ground with good quality and one click packages. http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...mock_Kits.html
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe start your research here.....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...Hammock-Setups
    So many out there now it is hard to say what a bang may be.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

We will be floating down the Buffalo river in North Arkansans. I wouldn't want to spend more than 400 on everything. This my first time on a forum so it is a bit overwhelming with all the info. If the info is already here would you mind pasting a link?

i see shug posted a link below. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help

Hammock
    Grand Trunk - SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue Wilderness
    Insulation
    SnugPak UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pihlbilly View Post
    Thanks for the help
    I'm on a tight budget, and once I started researching hammock camping (I didn't know it existed about 2 months ago) I fell in love with the idea and HAD to do it. Honestly, the BEST way to get a bang for your buck in my personal case was buying used off of forum members on here. I got a Skeeter beeter pro hammock on sale for $50 on Amazon (I wanted a bug net), got suspension on sale on Amazon for 12 bucks (6 foot daisy chain), got a nice HUGE good tarp on amazon for 31 (PahaQue wilderness double), sleeping pad for under 20, sleeping bag (rated to 45) for 20, underquilt here on the forum for $50 (snugpak), and 68L Osprey backpack on here for $50. Spent $243 total for gear that would be over $350 usually. Now if I could get new hiking boots and trekking poles...lol
    Cars, Guns, and Hiking are all I need
    Blue Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by brian60 View Post
    I'm on a tight budget, and once I started researching hammock camping (I didn't know it existed about 2 months ago) I fell in love with the idea and HAD to do it. Honestly, the BEST way to get a bang for your buck in my personal case was buying used off of forum members on here. I got a Skeeter beeter pro hammock on sale for $50 on Amazon (I wanted a bug net), got suspension on sale on Amazon for 12 bucks (6 foot daisy chain), got a nice HUGE good tarp on amazon for 31 (PahaQue wilderness double), sleeping pad for under 20, sleeping bag (rated to 45) for 20, underquilt here on the forum for $50 (snugpak), and 68L Osprey backpack on here for $50. Spent $243 total for gear that would be over $350 usually. Now if I could get new hiking boots and trekking poles...lol
    Yeah i believe I am going to go with the skeeter beeter pro. It has good reviews and i like the built in net. Ill be sure to check out the other items you recommend.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sounds like you have and "idea" of hammock camping without a lot of experience. It might be best to forget the idea of getting everything right the first time and accepting that it will be an ongoing learning experience - probably just like it was when you started going to ground. I found it is easy to sell well cared for gear on this forum so if you buy quality, new or used, you can always trade up or sideways by selling what you want to switch.

My main concern is your mention of a River Trip. There are lots of camping environments and they don't all lend themselves to accessible trees. More than once, while kayaking, I had to camp in an area that was unsuitable for a hammock. When hiking, you can usually just continue on till you find a suitable place. But when I'm in a watercraft, I find my choices/options much reduced. So I plan on using my hammock but always carry a go-to-ground backup.

The change from ground camping is the nature of heat loss. On the ground, it mostly comes from conduction and is mitigated by your sleeping pad. In a hammock it comes from convection - the air moving under your hammock. The same pad can be put in your hammock, either directly under you or in a sleeve if you have a double layer hammock. But most people find an under quilt more comfortable.

From there you can go in all directions. Some like small "just enough" tarps. Some like larger tarps. Some like ultralight gear. Some don't mind a few extra ounces (character building). It's good to read/research and this forum provides plenty of material. But at some point, just buy something and start making decisions from there.

I hope you find great spots on your river trip - a hammock is so much more comfortable than a tent and I find myself being more "with it" to the things around me, where as in a tent it seems I am shielding myself from the environment I sought out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast