Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    On my luxury set up, I use some sewn on dutch clips with spiders on hybrid straps. Just about as easy as you can get.

For my backpacking set up, just straight Kevlar straps with one sewn loop. End thru sewn loop, becket hitch to the CL.

I rarely need to adjust my straps so much that I need to go around a branch, and therefore undo the tree strap. Mostly because I am comfortable with a pretty wide range of heights for my hammock: anywhere from UQ just a couple inches off the ground, to needing to almost get on my tip toes.

Thanks to phantom grapplers awesome amazing grapplers hitch. Haven't looked back so far. Never tried dutch clips do to being a bigger guy and hearing about how they cut the webbing if hung improperly. All in all I've tried many different set ups from whoopies with toggles to straps and buckles. Found ucr's larks headed to the tree hugs with grapplers hitch and a whoopie hook. This set up is removable and easily adjustable with minimal hardware and weight. This setup has very little fiddling around to get hanging as quickly as possible.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I'm a eye-in-the-end-of-me-tree-strap kind of hanger. Now the ridge line for my tarp is a different story. Whatever works for you is cool.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    Thanks to phantom grapplers awesome amazing grapplers hitch. Haven't looked back so far. Never tried dutch clips do to being a bigger guy and hearing about how they cut the webbing if hung improperly. All in all I've tried many different set ups from whoopies with toggles to straps and buckles. Found ucr's larks headed to the tree hugs with grapplers hitch and a whoopie hook. This set up is removable and easily adjustable with minimal hardware and weight. This setup has very little fiddling around to get hanging as quickly as possible.
    I put Grappler's Hitches on all my straps and I've never looked back!
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I skip hardware on my suspension altogether. It's just as easy to run the webbing through the foxed loop and beckett hitch it to the hammock. No heavy metal involved at all.

Weight-wise, the extra webbing needed for that figure eight on a bight weight probably just about as a carabiner.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    The carabiner solution is more useful for strap+buckle suspensions than for whoopie+toggle suspensions.

If I'm just using tree straps to facilitate a whoopie sling attachment, i just use a sewn-loop on the tree strap. Carabiners and clips have not much use in this situation.
    So how would you attach the whoppie sling attachment to just the tree straps? I can't picture that. Currently I do what Brandon shows in this video for the whoppies. Thanks!

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I used the loop on the tree straps, a MSH and whoopee slings up until just recently.

I switched to Cinch Buckles and Dutch Clips... I've learned that it makes my OCD tendencies much quicker and easier to resolve when it comes to hanging the hammock and tarp.

On that note, I used to use taut line hitches on my tarp guylines, I've since switched to hookworms with a wasp, two soft shackles and a dutch tarp hook for the ridgeline too.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm Knotarded! I love Dutch bling.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    UCR+Treestraps
    I like to change it up, UCRs with Dutch hooks or straps tied to the continuous loops with a slipped becket hitch are my favorite setups these days. Curious about the beetle buckles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboater203 View Post
    So yes I'm new to hammock camping but a seasoned old salt when it come to knots and webbing.

So I see many hangers use a carabiner to loop their tree strap around the tree. Why not just tie a double figure 8 or figure 8 on a bite? Then you just put your bitter end through the loops you tied and then use your toggles like normal. It seems like it would allow you to eliminate 2 carabiner from your load.
    The only reason I can see using the carabiners is to speed up the setup and breakdown process. A I missing something?
    Nope, IMO you're not missing anything. I have metal gear and doodads, lots of it, and it's fun. But use it on tarps and other places. As you suggest, when I need a 2" wide tree strap instead of the 1 inch Kevlar ones I typically use, I have such tree huggers I made from 2" soft nylon webbing quickly as you described. I seldom use them but didn't want to bother getting out the sewing machine. The right knots are also fun. As for speed and weight, compare with a stopwatch and gram scale when some people make some of these time and weight saving comparisons.... It takes a real difference to make a difference and as I am not a thru hiker doing hundreds of miles, one ounce difference means nothing to my effort or enjoyment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast