Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    see hammock
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

AT through the Smokies

I am heading out in about a month for 12 days on the AT in NC. Will get on @ Wayah Bald and end north of GSMNP. I intend to hang every night but am worried that I will have to sleep in shelters in the Smokies (either because of the requirement or bear activity). For that reason, I am in the market for a sleeping pad. Some may say it's crazy to spend $200 for a pad that will only get used a handful of times but I will be very grouchy and achy if I don't get a good night sleep.

Any recommendations for this side sleeper? I swore I would never be a ground dweller again but just don't know what to expect in the Smokies. When I was on the trail last year, there were a couple shelters closed due to bear activity so I'm not that eager to be hanging bear bait either! Looking for recommendations for a lightweight sleeping pad. I use a Sheltowee Boone 20* so I have an integrated UQ and am not interested in using the pad in lieu of the UQ.

Thanks!
    Papillon

Senior Member ChucksOrangeDream's Avatar
    Hammock
    HickoryNut Hammocks
    Tarp
    Winter Dream by UG
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I am heading out in about a month for 12 days on the AT in NC. Will get on @ Wayah Bald and end north of GSMNP. I intend to hang every night but am worried that I will have to sleep in shelters in the Smokies (either because of the requirement or bear activity). For that reason, I am in the market for a sleeping pad. Some may say it's crazy to spend $200 for a pad that will only get used a handful of times but I will be very grouchy and achy if I don't get a good night sleep.

Any recommendations for this side sleeper? I swore I would never be a ground dweller again but just don't know what to expect in the Smokies. When I was on the trail last year, there were a couple shelters closed due to bear activity so I'm not that eager to be hanging bear bait either! Looking for recommendations for a lightweight sleeping pad. I use a Sheltowee Boone 20* so I have an integrated UQ and am not interested in using the pad in lieu of the UQ.

Thanks!
    Papillon
    Wish I could help, but I left the sleeping pad world behind for the comfort of hammocks.
    I can tell you that I've seen a lot of Big Agnus on the trail. Also, ZPack has become quiet the popular brand for all types of light weight equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When you get to the Smokies on the AT, take the BMT through the Smokies instead of the AT. On the BMT they have campsites instead of shelters where you can legally hang your hammock at. Following the BMT, you will rejoin the AT right at the exit of the Smokies.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Big Agnes UL insulated. 3.5" inflatable. Light. Warm. Comfortable. About $150 and worth it.

Can't think of exact name. Sorry.

Hint: never inflate air mattresses all the way, for best comfort.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    When you get to the Smokies on the AT, take the BMT through the Smokies instead of the AT. On the BMT they have campsites instead of shelters where you can legally hang your hammock at. Following the BMT, you will rejoin the AT right at the exit of the Smokies.
    I was also going to suggest that as an alternate to the AT, unless actually treading the AT is the point of the trip. Of course, sites on the BMT also get impacted by bear closures. I (think that I) remember #38 was closed for what seemed like most of the summer last year. Hammock v ground doesn't make any difference that I'm aware of in terms of bears - if the shelter or campsite is closed, nobody is supposed to be there either way.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Plan on arriving at the shelter late in the day/after dark. They will be full, and you can then hang outside the shelter as long as you don't attach to the shelter, if I understand correctly. Should be plenty of thrus at that time to fill the shelters up.

If you see you are going to arrive early, just stop short, make dinner, lollygag, until you're reasonably sure the shelter has filled.

That would be my plan anyway =) I would only sleep on the ground if ABSOLUTELY necessary!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Plan on arriving at the shelter late in the day/after dark. They will be full, and you can then hang outside the shelter as long as you don't attach to the shelter, if I understand correctly. Should be plenty of thrus at that time to fill the shelters up.

If you see you are going to arrive early, just stop short, make dinner, lollygag, until you're reasonably sure the shelter has filled.

That would be my plan anyway =) I would only sleep on the ground if ABSOLUTELY necessary!
    That is true IF you have a thru hiker permit. If you don't have a thru hiker permit, you are required to sleep in the shelters, and if they are full, someone with a thru hiker permit is "supposed" to give up his or her spot. That is how it is "supposed" to work.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    That is true IF you have a thru hiker permit. If you don't have a thru hiker permit, you are required to sleep in the shelters, and if they are full, someone with a thru hiker permit is "supposed" to give up his or her spot. That is how it is "supposed" to work.
    Aha. Therein lies the problem. How do you get a thru hiker permit- do you apply for it the same way you do a regular one? Can I get a thru hiker permit even if I'm not thru hiking the AT? When I go (if I go) I'll be thru hiking the GSMNP, does that count?

Clearly more research is needed!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    johnspenn is right. Flounder is also right, BUT... that's not exactly how it works in all practicality. Everyone is required to sleep in the shelter UNLESS its full. At that point, everyone else has to sleep outside the shelter. If you have a reservation, you have the right to ask a thru hiker to go pitch their tent/hammock so that you may have space in the shelter, but that's completely up to you. So having a thru hiker permit doesn't give you any better chance of being able to hang outside, whereas having the reservation permit does give you a bit of "yogi" power?

Same site, two different choices for permits. A backcountry reservation is $4 per night up to a max of $20. A thru hiker permit is $20. Again, not worth getting the TH permit unless you don't know exactly what your itinerary might be.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Aha. Therein lies the problem. How do you get a thru hiker permit- do you apply for it the same way you do a regular one? Can I get a thru hiker permit even if I'm not thru hiking the AT? When I go (if I go) I'll be thru hiking the GSMNP, does that count?

Clearly more research is needed!
    Thru-hiker permits are issued by GSMNP just like regular backcountry permits, but with the additional requirement that you must originate and terminate at least 50 miles from the park (they have no way to check that) and you must stay on the AT while in the park (easily checked if a ranger asks for your permit).
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast