Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

New HG Econ Quilts

Is it just me or do these look like an absolutely fantastic alternative for those who don't really, actually need cutting edge ultralight (which lets be honest, is the vast majority of us for whom saving 3 oz is probably never going to be worth that extra $100-150)? If there's no catch, and I don't expect one from HG, I think these might change the market paradigm for hammock quilts.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
    Is it just me or do these look like an absolutely fantastic alternative for those who don't really, actually need cutting edge ultralight (which lets be honest, is the vast majority of us for whom saving 3 oz is probably never going to be worth that extra $100-150)? If there's no catch, and I don't expect one from HG, I think these might change the market paradigm for hammock quilts.
    They're absolutely a great bargain and fall right into a price point that is between synthetic quilts and higher end down gear. All of my gear is synthetic, but this has me considering at least a down TQ.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    For about a 5 oz weight penalty, you save $100. Not a bad trade off at all.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Personally, I see zero downside to ordering one of the Econ quilts. If you already have your pack weight dialed in with everything else, a 4-5oz difference between the Econ vs Goose Down UQ's is probably not even going to be perceptible while hiking. That extra $100 though could go a long way towards something else. As soon as I have the funds, I will be ordering one for myself (assuming they will still be offered 2-3 months from now!).

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Personally, I see zero downside to ordering one of the Econ quilts. If you already have your pack weight dialed in with everything else, a 4-5oz difference between the Econ vs Goose Down UQ's is probably not even going to be perceptible while hiking. That extra $100 though could go a long way towards something else. As soon as I have the funds, I will be ordering one for myself (assuming they will still be offered 2-3 months from now!).
    Don't tell that to the people buying $300 cuben tarps

I'm sort of one of those people. Once you keep shaving weight over and over, it gets VERY difficult to keep cutting ounces. There's a strong market for both; I don't need to tell HG that.

It's a total flip side. For me, I want to spend the extra $100 and know I did all I could to cut that weight and have no regrets later on.

I have nothing against these quilts, they're a great option. Option. Very close to the original quilts too, which is amazing. I would have suspected something like cheaper 650 fill. Well done, HG!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I just pulled the trigger on one. I've gone back and forth since they came out. The gram weenie in me kept saying "save those 5 ounces" and the practical side in me said "save the $$$". If I ever do another thru hike, then I'll be swapping around some gear here and there to shave some more ounces, but for weekend excursions, an Econ UQ will do just fine.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post

I'm sort of one of those people. Once you keep shaving weight over and over, it gets VERY difficult to keep cutting ounces. There's a strong market for both; I don't need to tell HG that.

It's a total flip side. For me, I want to spend the extra $100 and know I did all I could to cut that weight and have no regrets later on.

I have nothing against these quilts, they're a great option. Option. Very close to the original quilts too, which is amazing. I would have suspected something like cheaper 650 fill. Well done, HG!
    I agree with what you've stated. I don't want my post to be misconstrued. I was writing from the standpoint of someone with limited funds- I probably should have clarified that in my post. If I had more money to delegate towards gear, I would probably seek out the UL stuff too. As it stands, I'm pretty happy with my pack weight (right at 20lbs with 3 days of food and 2 water bottles), and that's with mostly inexpensive stuff. But you're right, the great thing about all of this is that there are plenty of options for everyone and their priorities. Some people prioritize weight at all costs. Others prioritize cost at all costs. Any others- like myself, try to find the best combination of both

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post

I'm in the same boat. I've spent a lot of money to get my pack weight to where I want it. I love the idea of the Econ quilts though and am pleased knowing they're out there. The only thing I'm considering Econ for though is a zero degree Incubator/Burrow set. I don't think I'll mind adding the few extra ounces to my winter pack as much as I would my summer or 3-season pack weights.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I've had a JRB Mt. Washington 4, which is still an ounce or two heavier than an Econ Incubator 0, and loved that quilt so much, but I too spent a lot of money to get my pack weight down. For the price though, I pulled the trigger. Whenever I get around to getting an UQ that is 5-6 ounces lighter, it will be because I am planning another thru hike, or just have the extra $. Either way, the Econ quilt will become a spare to loan out and indoctrinate others into the hammocking cult.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I like my revolt 40 and I went with a 10. I don't wanna be out under 10 or at least if I am I'm going to ground. A 10 costs less then my 40. No brainer
    In the shadows

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast