Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CorwinC View Post
    but I wouldn't use a pulley because if the deviation point is able to slide, there are situations where the force vector will make the tripod tip over anyway.
    I'm not a big fan of arguing on the internet, but unless I have misunderstood you, I'm gonna have to disagree.
    The only time a tripod will become unstable is if the force vector (the resultant angle between the line from the anchor and the line to the hammock) points outside the footprint of the tripod. The only way that can happen is if your anchor (backstay) is very close to (or actually inside) the footprint of the tripod.
    This video might make things a bit clearer,

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My learning of mathematics and physics is deficient---but I was the smartest kid in my third grade class two years in a row. The ideas and demonstration by GadgetUK437 seem sound to me. I think his tripods will hold great as long as all materials are strong including anchors that don't move when loading hammock. This does not negate what CorwinC stated.
    Gadget your cat looks too big to be carried off by an owl--do y'all have large owls across the pond? Great video. I'd watch another one with a monopod--someone made a video and the one pole looked like it would not hold as it swayed back and forth but it held great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    I'm not a big fan if arguing on the internet, but unless I have misunderstood you, I'm gonna have to disagree.
    The only time a tripod will become unstable is if the force vector (the resultant angle between the line from the anchor and the line to the hammock) points outside the footprint of the tripod. The only way that can happen if if your anchor (backstay) is very close to, or actually inside, the footprint of the tripod.
    This video might make things a bit clearer,

--
    Gadget

Great Vid..

Good to see that you were operating under supervision (cat)...

Lord knows a sole firefighter can not operate by themselves... You would have broken one of the tripods and lost the other one..

Why get rid of the center ridge beam. You can piece together smaller pieces that you can carry in a car trunk to make a long enough beam. I bought 6 four foot lengths of radio antena mast poles (2 beams of 12 feet each) and can carry them in an old camping chair bag. They are strong enough to not bend under the pressure of the body weight pulling the tripods over. Here is the post that I got it from:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ary-Pole-Stand

This guy made the whole Turtle Dog Stand out of these things. That would be like 15 poles to do it that way. I just made the tripods out of 4 by 4's like everyone else. I was able to get 6 of these mast poles for about 30 bucks on Ebay.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    GadgetUK437 explained the physics of an answer to THE question quite well!!!

the only variable remaining is the anchoring system which has a plethora of potential solutions, already posted on this forum

since the OP states that he is CAR CAMPING and weight is not that much of a factor i might suggest using multiple angle iron(or aluminium) stakes, for each end, of up to 2' in length for secure anchoring in soft soil

since one item on my bucket list involves boat camping along/in the ICW(no trees of ANY kind & soft sandy soil) on the Texas coast i'll be watching to see how this method works out

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic5586 View Post
    Lord knows a sole firefighter can not operate by themselves... You would have broken one of the tripods and lost the other one..
    15 minutes and no coffee or donuts, a man can't live under these conditions!

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Contemplating Turtle Dog Stand Mods

There are videos of a single pole on one or both ends of hammock. The pole is guy lined like a radio tower. And it looks like it will hold.
    Also I think an Australian bloke made a one pole and one tree hammock video--and for me just looking at the rigging--it did not look like it would hold. But the proof is in the pudding--it held up at least long enough for him to get in hammock and finish video.
    Even though it looked like it would fail--it held--there must be some beautiful mathematical and physics formulas to explain this observable replicable phenomenon. If this was covered in my third grade--I must have been in the office that afternoon.

Single tree hammock set up by Survival Tracker
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-07-2017 at 21:05.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY 1.9 PU nylon
    Insulation
    DIY APEX 5.0 TQ/BQ
    Suspension
    Becket or Whoopie
    Images
    Gadget

What I was envisioning was an anchor within the area of the tripod. If the anchor is there, then the force vector moves outward really quickly without the ridgepole to take the horizontal forces. In that case, having a deviation point that can't slide forces the tripod to re-direct the load down the two legs toward the hammock rather than tipping because the angles would be "locked in." It is quite difficult to visualize these things via the written word rather than diagrams or the excellent video that you posted. We are in agreement, just misunderstanding each other.

BTW: no worries about arguing. Discussions like this are part of learning and growing.

Carry on

Corwin
    Last edited by CorwinC; 04-06-2017 at 23:36.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I think an Australian bloke made a one pole and one tree hammock video--and for me just looking at the rigging--it did not look like it would hold. But the proof is in the pudding--it held up at least long enough for him to get in hammock and finish video.
    One tree, one pole, one anchor can work. But you will need to make sure the loaded hammock keeps the pole canted at an angle, away from the ground anchor. And that the foot of the pole can't slide away.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    They say that there is no such thing as experience to teach you what NOT to do, and I got some experience last weekend (though no pictures--sorry).

I built the stands using a ring to deflect the force of the hammock, staked the whoopie slings to the ground (within the tripod--this was before Gadget's post), and landed on my butt. So I moved the ground anchors to well behind the stands, set the whole thing up again, and gave the entire system a good stress test--with me napping for three hours beneath the trees. So it works, but make sure that your ground anchors are BEHIND your stands, lest you end up on the ground.

I'll try to get the system set up again this weekend and take pictures!

A.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast