Tarp
    Superfly, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti HG20 EE40
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Khs777,
    What pack are you taking on the AT trip?
    Right now I'm using the Zpacks Arc Haul & very happy with it - so that will probably what I'll be using.

I am the kind of person that needs to try everything out. A few weeks ago the temp got below 27*, I was just on the comfortable side using a 40* Enlightened Equipment under and a 15* Brooks Range top. Wearing patagonia cap base to sleep in and a wool beanie.

My suggestion is to buy your quilts on the lighter side and try them. EE and HG will both add down to their stuff if you need it warmer. Never tried to unstuff a quilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Khs777 View Post
    Right now I'm using the Zpacks Arc Haul & very happy with it - so that will probably what I'll be using.
    Nice, thanks for the info.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Different take here... why don't you get a set of summer quilts and take those along as well to supplement (stack) the 20 degree quilts? Not sure your pack will accommodate that, though.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm planning an AT hike in the next couple of years starting mid February most likely. I know this year seems to be especially cold and snowy.
    I have a 20 Burrow and 3 season Warbonnet Yeti. I'm wondering if that would be okay or maybe go for a 10 or 0 setup with the Econ series Hammock gear has right now. I know the weight is a bit more, but even with the zero my base would be around 16lbs so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
    I love the pricing on the Econ since it's gear that wouldn't be used all that much.

I'd love to hear some thoughts from people familiar with Southern areas of the AT and what to expect on an average year in Feb/March

Thanks
    I used 20F TQ and UQ until Dalesville VA then swapped out for 50F TQ and 40F UQ and go the 20F top quilt back form Hanover NH to the end. I only had one night(snow on ground) where I really needed the 20F on my hike but the weather varies.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I'm planning an AT hike in the next couple of years starting mid February most likely. I know this year seems to be especially cold and snowy.
    I have a 20 Burrow and 3 season Warbonnet Yeti. I'm wondering if that would be okay or maybe go for a 10 or 0 setup with the Econ series Hammock gear has right now. I know the weight is a bit more, but even with the zero my base would be around 16lbs so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
    I love the pricing on the Econ since it's gear that wouldn't be used all that much.

I'd love to hear some thoughts from people familiar with Southern areas of the AT and what to expect on an average year in Feb/March

Thanks
    This may be helpful.

It has shaped my decision to buy a Greylock.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...greylock+dutch

Here is how I am building mine:

• Sierra Stealth
    • Quilt Liner
    • Greylock 3 w/ 1 ounce of over-stuff

adding a Hudson River later.

I am in Chattanooga, TN.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 10-06-2017 at 14:43.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    This may be helpful.

It has shaped my decision to buy a Greylock.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...greylock+dutch

Here is how I am building mine:

• Sierra Stealth
    • Quilt Liner
    • Greylock 3 w/ 1 ounce of over-stuff

adding a Hudson River later.

I am in Chattanooga, TN.
    Still using the same gear 6 months later.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WBBB , Halfwit, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti HG20 EE40
    Suspension
    Woopies
    So I completed my thru hike a couple of weeks ago. The setup I ended up with, and it all worked out great.

Winter start: Dutch Chameleon with top cover
    Warbonnet Yeti UQ
    Hammock Gear 20 Burrow
    Thermarest Neoair short pad - I carried this the whole way, used under my feet in the colder weather and when I stayed in shelters in the
    Smokies and in bad weather

Changed to in Waynesboro VA
    Swapped top cover for bugnet on the Chameleon
    Wilderness Logics SSUQ
    Enlightened Equipment 40 degree 950 fill TQ

In Hanover NH I got the Yeti back thinking it might get colder, but kept the EE and glad I did. Some nights it was too hot and I didn't use the UQ until early mornings.
    Using the Neoair under my feet to supplement the 3/4 UQ worked out great. Even when it got into the teens I was toasty warm. At 7oz it was worth carrying the weight given the number of times I used it. As much as I love sleeping in my hammock when you're dealing with rain day after day the shelters can be a refuge. Two nights I was by myself at shelters and hung the hammock in the shelter to get out of the snow and rain.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    Wow, thanks for the follow up! Congratulations on your thru hike. Please consider writing a trip report.

Hammock
    WBBB , Halfwit, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti HG20 EE40
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Thanks - one thing I forgot was I used the Dutch quilt liner the whole trip. Added warmth at the beginning and there were many nights at the end that I didn't pull the TQ on at all.

As for trip report, maybe more later, but I'll share my major 'FAIL' in Maine. Maine is all rocks and roots, some areas have very shallow soil.

The second night in the 100 mile wilderness we camped near a stream and there wasn't a great selection of trees, especially those that didn't take up a space a tent could go, so I set up on what I could. As we were settling in hiking partner said one of the trees seemed to be bending. It didn't seem that bad, so I went to sleep. At one am I got up for natures call and noticed I was almost on the ground. The roots of the tree were coming right out of the ground!
    I tossed down my tyvek, blew up my air mattress and went to ground, using my trekking pole to hold up the head end of the hammock to keep the bug net off my face. Got s few good hours sleep like that.

IMG_3439.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast