Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst

Is a double-layer needed to put a pad in a Ridge Runner?

Question for you all: given that a Ridge Runner has a rectangular shape and a more stable, flatter lay, is there a real advantage to having a double layer in regards to using a sleeping pad? Does a sleeping pad really move around in a Ridge Runner? Seems like if a pad stays put there isn't much benefit to a double layer (and the associated extra weight)? Any insights appreciated!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I haven't tried putting the pad on top of my double layer, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Lots of people use pads in single layer gathered end hammocks. The RR's shape would probably make it easier to keep the pad in place.

The benefits to the double layer though are increased weight capacity (which I need! You may not), and the option to put the pad between layers. Also the extra layer is probably around 2 ounces which I'm not overly concerned about.

Hope that helps!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I've tried both ways an prefer it in the sleeve. I found on top it was more tippy but still worked fine.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    I'd say get the double layer, and put your pad in the sleeve. If weight is a problem, you might be able to save more than the added RR weight (for a DL one vs. a SL one) by selecting a lighter-weight pad, I suppose. I'd also suggest you get a pad about 25" wide (for comfort), and avoid pads that sound like you're sleeping on a bag of chips, as well; but that's just me.

Aside from being lower, more convenient, and better able to widen your lay in the RR (because it's in a sleeve rather than floating on top), a DL will also make it more diffiult for mosquitoes to bite you through the material.

Hammock
    WBRR, XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Lynx, Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I got the double mainly for my 225#'s, I have tried several mats both in the sleeve and in the RR with me. A half inch foam pad in the sleeve works best for me. I tend to turn over a lot while sleeping and pads used in with me tend to grab and snag on my sleeping out fit (thermals) making things tougher. As for the carrying of the extra weight of the double I usually leave that extra package of cookies at home to even it out, just kidding, I always need my cookies.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Ha, thanks for feedback. Yeah, I guess if the extra 4.5 ounces in the double-layer (2.5 in the hammock, 2 in the larger spreader bar) were a deal breaker then I shouldn't be looking at a bridge hammock.

For a pad, I was wondering about a GG thinlight hammock pad? I figured I could double it over into a 1/2" pad if i ever had to use it on the ground or in a shelter. Would a pad of this size work in the RR? I figured even if it was a bit too wide I could fold part of it under in the sleeve? Or would that make it uncomfortable? Also, does anyone know what temperature rating one of those pads would rate in a hammock?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Ha, thanks for feedback. Yeah, I guess if the extra 4.5 ounces in the double-layer (2.5 in the hammock, 2 in the larger spreader bar) were a deal breaker then I shouldn't be looking at a bridge hammock
    You really just answered your own question with that statement. If weight is your biggest criteria, then perhaps a bridge isn't what you're looking for. With the Ridgerunner there's a trade off of weight for comfort.

If you've done some searching you may have run across some threads on using trekking poles as spreader bars. Some people do that and that saves you around 12 ounces by leaving the original spreader bars at home.

One other thing a lot of people overlook with the Ridgerunner, and I know this isn't exactly your question so bear with me, but a full length down underquilt ( i.e. Lynx or Ambush) is generally a few ounces lighter than an underquilt for a gathered end hammock for equivalent temperature ratings. A three season (20*) Wooki is 21.5 oz, a 20* full length Lynx is listed at 17.25 oz. that's about 4 oz. I didn't look it up but it seems an Ambush is right around 17 ozs also. A torso length Lynx is listed as a bit under 13 ounces!
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 03-26-2017 at 18:36.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    For a pad, I was wondering about a GG thinlight hammock pad? I figured I could double it over into a 1/2" pad if i ever had to use it on the ground or in a shelter. Would a pad of this size work in the RR? I figured even if it was a bit too wide I could fold part of it under in the sleeve? Or would that make it uncomfortable? Also, does anyone know what temperature rating one of those pads would rate in a hammock?
    The answer to your question, and I'm not being flippant, is "it depends." Are you hanging where your lowest expected temperature is 60*, 30*, 0*? That's why many people have multiple quilt sets. I don't know what the R value is on the thinlight, but things like wind, tarp, topquilt, and even personal metabolism are going to factor in.

I've used a cheapie Walmart blue pad in warmer temps (above 60*) with mixed results.

You are right that one advantage of a foam type pad is you can go to ground with it. Can't really do that with an underquilt.

You may have to do what many of us enjoy doing and that's try it out and see if it works for you! (And then share your findings!)

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    For me (FWIW), the advantage of a pad is that it makes the RR feel wider/flatter, less like I'm sleeping at the bottom of a ditch. But that advantage depends on using an inflatable pad, not the GG thinlight. I tried the GG one, a while back, but don't use it now. As I recall, it wasn't quite wide enough to fold it over and be wide enough (I cut mine down to fit, roughly), and I doubt that it would add much of a windbreak in windy conditions. But the main drawback, for me, is that it doesn't really give a sense of the RR being wider, it just bends with the RR's narrow shape.

All of that said, its not like you have to pick just one option. Dpending on conditions and also how far you're carrying it, you're likely to want to have several options to fit your needs on that trip.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    When I first got my RR single layer I used my Big Agnes sleeping bag with a Thermarest CCF pad in its sleeve. That combination worked fine.

• + New Posts