Tarp
    Superfly, Pole Mod
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, AHE, LLCP
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images

New Raven

Got my new Raven in Coyote Brown w/ 2.2 oz. Hex70 XL Ripstop. Using Dutchware Daisy Chain Webbing for straps. The Hex70 XL material is tough. Very flat lay. No tie outs, but no bug netting in my face. I set up on a small Gheenoe in the water. This hammock will help with changing ends while star gazing in the middle of Florida Bay. This is my first 11ft hammock-this thing is 66" in width. Crazy room for someone 5'11" . Gear sling should be here soon. Thanks, Smurfs... enjoyed seeing you with the hammocks at Hangcon.

Last edited by Draggingcanoe; 03-23-2017 at 22:13.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I really like the looks of that. Nice addition, congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying your new Raven
    Last edited by MamaSmurf; 03-24-2017 at 09:40.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, DH's, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Bandit/ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Swag
    Just ordered one of these a few days ago. I'm really hoping this net design will hold up to Florida mosquitos.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Spent last night in my Raven swinging from the spruce trees. I used the exped downmat 7 UL MW and the temp was 27*F. I slept snug as a bug. If you enjoy your Raven as much as I have you will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailDaze View Post
    Just ordered one of these a few days ago. I'm really hoping this net design will hold up to Florida mosquitos.
    This is actually something I do not understand with the Raven design and would like to have your opinion about:
    I have read that Florida mozzies will eat you live even through the hammock fabric and that you need to soak it in Permethryn if you do not intend to use an underquilt.

Now where I am puzzled with the design is that the Raven offers an additional net protection below the hammock fabric right at the head and right at the feet where there is exactly little to no human body part to protect. If used without quilt, the entire back of the user can be subjected to mosquito bite through the unprotected fabric.

If this is the case, why have the mosquito net go below the hammock in the first place? Why not have either an integrated net (one extreme solution if mozzies not a factor) or a frontkey bugnet (the other extreme solution if mozzies are bad)

Just perplexed.
    Minos

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    This is actually something I do not understand with the Raven design and would like to have your opinion about:
    I have read that Florida mozzies will eat you live even through the hammock fabric and that you need to soak it in Permethryn if you do not intend to use an underquilt.

Now where I am puzzled with the design is that the Raven offers an additional net protection below the hammock fabric right at the head and right at the feet where there is exactly little to no human body part to protect. If used without quilt, the entire back of the user can be subjected to mosquito bite through the unprotected fabric.

If this is the case, why have the mosquito net go below the hammock in the first place? Why not have either an integrated net (one extreme solution if mozzies not a factor) or a frontkey bugnet (the other extreme solution if mozzies are bad)

Just perplexed.
    Minos
    The reason for the Raven's design is that the two sections of additional netting with shock cord allows the bug net to be easily stored above the hammock along the ridgeline. When you're ready to use it again, all you have to do is pull it back down and zip the sides. This keeps folks from having to remove the net from the entire apparatus when they decide to hang in "netless" mode. The shock-corded ends of the bug net close up completely when lying in the hammock. As far as mosquitoes biting you from the underside of the hammock, most people do not seem to have this problem for one of two reasons. 1) they use an underquilt or a pad; or 2) they use a double-layer hammock-which mosquitoes cannot penetrate. Permetherin is a great way to add another layer of protection- if you really feel it's necessary. But I think as long as you have some kind of insulation underneath you, you shouldn't have issues with mosquitoes getting at you from the bottom. I think most folks would recommend always using some sort of insulation underneath.

I really like the modularity of the Raven as compared to fully-integrated hammocks. I think the design works well, and it maintains a small footprint in my pack. But just like everything hammock-related, YMMV. That's why there are so many options available! Find the hammock that best suits your needs, and HYOH.
    Last edited by rweb82; 04-05-2017 at 11:46.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit/LLG CP
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Nice looking hammock! I can't wait till I get mine.

Thanks for clearing that up. Not really interested in a pad to be honest. So this means that I need to bring a full length underquilt whenever I go and mosquitoes are expected, including Florida in the Summer. Double layer may be nice but this is double weight. I guess I'll have to see a Raven during a hang to fully appreciate it, but thanks for your inputs! Minos

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. Not really interested in a pad to be honest. So this means that I need to bring a full length underquilt whenever I go and mosquitoes are expected, including Florida in the Summer. Double layer may be nice but this is double weight. I guess I'll have to see a Raven during a hang to fully appreciate it, but thanks for your inputs! Minos
    A summer quilt would probably work well for you. Perhaps something like the Econ line from Hammock Gear.

This conversation has reminded me of a saying we had, growing up in Louisiana. In Louisiana, there are two types of mosquitoes, those small enough to fit through the holes in the screen door, and those large enough to open the door for the rest of them!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast