Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarp lines.

Tarp lines.

Recently upgraded from a Hennessy Backpacker Asym Classic to a WBBB XLC/Wookie w/ a Mamajamba. And my search skills suck. I have read pages of this sub and still have no direction. (my bad....I feel shame)

I loved my Hennessy and it was absolutely the right rig for my 5k km bike trip across the continent. But now i am doing 1 weekend / 1 week trips here and there when work allows. I am putting together a moderately heavier set up with more of a premium on comfort than pack weight/size.

The Ask....

Please tell me what lines i should use for my new tarp. Be specific. I have over 100 nights in my Hennessy and the taught line hitches i tied in the lines with a shock cord tensioner NEVER let me down. Unless someone has a better idea, (disclaimer..I love ideas and will try anything no matter how crazy), I want that string.. I'm not afraid to tie or learn knots, and if bling is better.... i can be convinced..

I got some cheap $store stuff when my Mamajamba arrived.. it obviously was awful, but i wanted to do a few test hangs.... I ordered some Spectra Dyneema 8 braided Gray 10lb-300lb (100M 100LB/0.55mm) ... which is strong enough, but way too slippery, any taut line/midshipman hitches i put in just slide free... i cant seem to hitch this stuff in a configuration that wont slide.

I miss my Hennessy tarp lines. Always worked and so many good memories....

My priority here is the best line. Ultralight without losing functionality. I am willing to entertain line recommendations and rigging suggestions.. Right now, I have a lineless tarp, and no clear direction on how to hang it. please help. Note.. am willing to shop for the right solution.

As my favourite teacher always said, "You can have it Fast, You can have it Good, and You can have it Cheap..... Pick two."

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I like to do tarp lines using a Prussic. It's simple enough to use. It works well when done properly for the line in question and with the lines we use it's light, strong, easy to adjust and not to costly. You will get a thousand answers and probably lots will recommend hardware...I just never really saw a need on something like a guy line.

Here is our tarps page with all the ropes and pre-made lines that are applicable for tarp set ups. Our 1/16th line is semi similar to what HH uses if I remember their lines correctly.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    My favorite line is the Lawson Glowire. It is on his site, and Dutch also sells it at Dutchware. I have tried various hardware, knots, etc.. and have settled on using small linelocs with shock cord like in this thread. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...tarp-guy-lines . It gives you one-handed adjustment from outside or under the tarp. I put a bowline in the stake end and just loop it over the stake or lark's head it on.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

good thread.. perusing now

I used this setup last weekend. I was pretty happy with it but I would like to find a lighter option. Are you guys using a solid ridgeline? I used 550 cord.

Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    I used this setup last weekend. I was pretty happy with it but I would like to find a lighter option. Are you guys using a solid ridgeline? I used 550 cord.

Dutchware continuous ridgeline, reflective Z-line from Zpacks is what I use, then u can add some snake skins.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Trackerfiend; 03-23-2017 at 18:10.

Im looking at Z-Line 1.25mm now.

I see now that the Dyneema i currently have is Unsheathed and so "slippery and difficult to work with". The Z-line should work.

I am going to check out the Dutchware offering before i decide. I just fear if I start ordering Dutch Bling, I'll be opening the flood gates. I want it all heh..

now.. Coated Dyneema .. 1.25mm (z-line) vs 1.75mm (zing-it)

my gut says 1.25. I mostly "stealth camp" so I avoid reflective when I can. The Z-line comes in black.

I basically set up, sleep, wake and tear down. So i don't spend much time avoiding tie-outs. I never camp. I merely wait out the night. I also never eat where I sleep. Leave no trace is my religion.

Your reflective Z-Line experience.. Is that with the 1.1mm or the 2.3 mm?

I think I have pretty much convinced myself to place an order today for the 1.25mm Z-line. I'll grab some mini line-locks and guy-line adjusters to play with and knot or hardware depending on what feels more natural.

To answer above. No, I personally don't use a ridge line at all with my tarp.... And I find 550 paracord too bulky for my MamaJamba's 4 guy-lines and 4 panel pulls. thats near 70 feet of cordage all told if you do 4*6 & 4*12. It's just preference, (HYOH). Paracord works fine. I am just trying to dial in my setup to align my own priorities. I usually place pack-size and weight at a higher value than time, cost, or effort (to a degree). Tweaking it down is part of the fun.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I personally use the 1.25mm Z-line on my go to tarps, and I really recommend it. I have also used the 1.0mm Dutchwire and find it to be essentially the same as far as performance goes.

I suggest trying out the Trucker's Hitch and McCarthy Hitch if you are interested in knots. They are quicker than tying tautlines (at least for me), hold solid, and you can really crank them down when you want to. Never had any let loose on me, even in some pretty serious alpine thunder storms (in my blasphemous ground dwelling 8.5' square tarp). I have had good luck using the hitches on my tarp ridge line tie-outs as well.

Here is a video/article about that set up: http://andrewskurka.com/2016/guyline...arps-hammocks/

I Ordered a few lengths of 1.25 Z-line. Sounds like its what I want

maybe I'll try a few Truckers Hitches with the 1mm Dyneema i already have and see if i have better luck with it..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast