Left lay/right lay

Is there a benefit to choosing a hammock with a dedicated left or right lay?
    I'm searching for my first hammock and think the Dream Raven looks like a good choice. Question is, does a hammock like this sacrifice comfort in some way?
    From what I have read, most hammocks are feet right/head left which seems backwards to me, not sure why.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I don't think you would sacrifice comfort; actually you gain versatility. I lay both directions, pretty much 50/50. So, I prefer a hammock without a dedicated right or left lay. Some people really don't move around a lot and are quite happy with the lay in one direction only.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldtrailwillie View Post
    From what I have read, most hammocks are feet right/head left which seems backwards to me, not sure why.
    Most likely because you are probably a left lay hammock hanger (like me); hanging head left/feet right just seems inherently wrong to me too.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I bought a lot of hammocks before I discovered Left vs Right lay.

I suggest you consider a SWITCHBACK hammock. It is very well made by a reputable company, Trail to Trees, they are well established on this forum, just a bit quite, you almost need to be in "The Know" to understand about the Switchback. Really a high quality, versitile piece of gear. As the name implies it works well for right or left lay.

I have switched to a Bridge hammock for exit ease.

Warbonnet and a few other vendors will build a Lefty for you at an additional cost.

You have several choices so do your PERSONAL research, IMHE choosing your hammock is very personal, much like buying shoes. Your individual taste and needs are the important factor. The right hammock and gear make for nirvana. Oops not the band Nirvana. I mean the Budist meaning of Nirvana!
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 03-23-2017 at 11:58.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldtrailwillie View Post
    Is there a benefit to choosing a hammock with a dedicated left or right lay?
    I'm searching for my first hammock and think the Dream Raven looks like a good choice. Question is, does a hammock like this sacrifice comfort in some way?
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what you have said it looks like you are a left lay like myself and the Dream Hammock Raven would be the perfect hammock for you in my opinion.
    For one thing you will have the versatility to lay in either direction and with a Dream Hammock you won't be giving up anything.
    The Smurfs build outstanding hammocks and imo some of the most comfortable on the market.
    Also, if you know what lay you are and like a differant hammock like the sparrow or Thunderbird for example, Dream Hammock does NOT charge extra to custom make it a left lay like most other venders do!
    Last edited by Zilla; 03-23-2017 at 12:04.

• + New Posts