Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Same angles, ridgeline...totally different comfort level

After hanging for 5+ years using stands, eye bolts in the bedroom walls, holes in the basement joists and of course trees ranging from 12-18' apart, I still can't figure out why the comfort level changes so much when all the important "details" are the same.

- Same 30° angle
    - Same hammock
    - Same tautness in ridgeline
    - Same body position in hammock

I usually hang with trees about 15' apart, as close to a 30° angle as possible, and a little slack in the ridgeline. When I hang in my spare bedroom, the distance is much shorter. But the 30° angle is still there and same slack in the ridgeline. I'm just hanging lower to make up for the distance. The hang calculator was used to set up both my bedroom and basement hangs.

Why does shortening the suspension lines matter? How does the hammock "know"? It seems like it shouldn't matter if everything else remains the same but this bedroom setup has a lot of calf ridge and just not as comfortable overall. I'm obviously missing something.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that your suspension is going to stretch more between wider trees than indoors. Therefore you are likely ending up with a different hang angle when the hammock is fully loaded.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    was just gonna say, the suspension adds a fair bit to the feel of the hammock, and when you mostly take it out of the equation, the hammock is probably less.....pliant?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This is an odd one but I wonder if it has more to do with your tiredness level than it does with the metrics? I know when I'm really tired I find a lot less to like than when I'm not.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    This is an odd one but I wonder if it has more to do with your tiredness level than it does with the metrics? I know when I'm really tired I find a lot less to like than when I'm not.
    No it can't be that. Just getting in for a quick test or to watch some youtube during the day and it's immediately clear something is different. Almost unbearable in the spare bedroom. But the 20' span in the basement? No problem. That would definitely support the stretching idea.

And like I mentioned in the past, never any problems out in the woods. I better knock on wood since I'm good at creating/fixing problems that don't exist! Knock knock knock!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    imo it'd be like moving the same vehicle seat from a short little car into a great big long vehicle. exactly same spot your sitting, but the ride is completely different

Images
    I have noticed this same phenomenon myself. I think it has to do with the distance and type of suspension. Longer distance seems to create better calf ridge and overall softer feel. I also noticed it felt a bit harder when I switched from straps to whoopie slings because straps stretch and whoopies do not.

Something like that

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm betting on the stretching thing. I didn't think there would be much, but I guess enough to make a difference. Maybe that's also why one of my hammocks has zero calf ridge any time (slightly stretchy material)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    No it can't be that. Just getting in for a quick test or to watch some youtube during the day and it's immediately clear something is different. Almost unbearable in the spare bedroom. But the 20' span in the basement? No problem. That would definitely support the stretching idea.

And like I mentioned in the past, never any problems out in the woods. I better knock on wood since I'm good at creating/fixing problems that don't exist! Knock knock knock!
    Gotcha. This is one of the many reasons I jettisoned my gathered end for the Ridgerunner. While it is a bit heavier it's always has a consistent lay and is so simple to setup.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Just spitballing here...but what if it's not necessary stretch per se, but absorption. Straps will take a bit more of the load(yes, via stretching, sort of) before transferring it to the hammock body. Something like Amsteel will transfer it pretty much directly to the hammock body. I noticed overall that my lay got more comfortable when I switch to straps with a beckett hitch instead of whoopies.

As far "indoors" vs outdoors, are you sure mentality isn't playing into it a bit? I mean, come on, you're outside! This is relaxing! This is how it should be! Oh? Free beer, thank you barmaid! vs Indoors it just doesn't feel quite the same. That's what I've found....minus the barmaid. I'm made to get my own drinks.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast