DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies

Tried zip ties for hammock end channel

When making a hammock I always hem the ends and pass a CL through. I've been reading old posts regarding using zip ties to pass through the end channels and then larks heading a CL around the ends below the "knot" created my the zip tie. This is nothing new and akin to whipping the ends. There was no saving of materials or any other reason then just to give it a try. The only benefit using this method would be the time saved triple stitching the end channels and some thread. I went ahead and triple stitched my ends just as a fall back.

After playing with this method for awhile I have to say I like the way it turned out. Very aesthetically pleasing and quite simple. Instead of making a proper CL I decided to just tie a figure 8 to create the loop. This saved some time as well and turned out well because the figure 8 and the zip tie all hide well inside the "knot".

The hammock is an eleven footer in 1.7 Robic XL from RBTR. Great fabric with a bit of stretch. My only concern was the larks head around the fabric, but i'm 320lbs and haven't hit the ground yet.

BigE

20170318_012324.jpg20170322_114427.jpg20170322_114454.jpg
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    tablecloth for now
    Tarp
    Harbor Freight
    Insulation
    Blue Foam
    Suspension
    Web & Mule Tape
    Hmm, looks different from mine - did the "W" gather then put a zip tie then folded over and put the other zip tie to form a loop to pass my mule tape thru.

Mine is on polyester tablecloth - I'm 280 and it's been holding during my backyard testing.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Hmm, looks different from mine - did the "W" gather then put a zip tie then folded over and put the other zip tie to form a loop to pass my mule tape thru.

Mine is on polyester tablecloth - I'm 280 and it's been holding during my backyard testing.
    I didn't do any folding, just put the zip tie through the sewn channel. Haven't tried a proper whipped end yet.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Also looks really nice if you make a channel that is only 1 inch wide. single/double stitched
    I also like gathering this way because you can get the fabric gathered as cleanly and evenly as possible.
    Last edited by Intimidator; 03-23-2017 at 08:36.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Images
    If you are concerned by the larks head, just take a few more turn around before passing through the loop, its a Prusik then (spreads the load).

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images
    I have been contemplating this same setup on a DIY of mine. xtrekker showed this technique in one of his videos.
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Too much Dutchware
    I prefer this gather also, I think it tighten up the sides a bit. Or I could be imagining that, either way. When my Chameleon gets here I'll try it out as is but will probably change it.
    Benji
    When you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, remember - your half way to somewhere

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    [QUOTE=Intimidator;1762561]Also looks really nice if you make a channel that is only 1 inch wide. single/double stitched
    I also like gathering this way because you can get the fabric gathered as cleanly and evenly as possible.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. No reason to waste the fabric on the ends. The decision to try the zip tie this time was made on a whim. A little pre-planning next time should yield some improvements.

[QUOTE=GadgetUK437;1762583]If you are concerned by the larks head, just take a few more turn around before passing through the loop, its a Prusik then (spreads the load).

I'm gonna see how this shakes out. I'm a pretty big fella dn really want to see what this Robic 1.7 can do. I'm not taking bets either way. I think if the fabric fails it will be catastrophic... one big rip and a rapid descent.

Hammock
    tablecloth for now
    Tarp
    Harbor Freight
    Insulation
    Blue Foam
    Suspension
    Web & Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    I'm gonna see how this shakes out. I'm a pretty big fella dn really want to see what this Robic 1.7 can do. I'm not taking bets either way. I think if the fabric fails it will be catastrophic... one big rip and a rapid descent.
    Maybe NOT

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Well I hit the ground... it wasn't due to fabric failure though. The figure 8 knot I used to make one of the the CL's pulled through. Haven't ever had this happen. Immediately replaced both CL's with proper ones. So much for cutting corners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast