Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies

My backpacking/ camping CPAP battery solution.

I have been trying to find a workable affordable backpacking CPAP battery solution for some time. I've tried alot of batteries including my (until recently) regular go to 25lb car emergency battery (not a backpacking solution). You know, the ones meant to be kept in your trunk? I think I have found the answer after much battery testing.

I'm using a 12v Remstar M Series CPAP (17CFM) unit without the humidifier and and currently an Aomaso battery pack I ordered from Amazon.

So I found this Aomaso battery pack on Amazon for 70 bucks. This unit was different than the others because it has a 12V/15A cigar lighter output. It's also 4200mAh which is quite sizable. Hoping to get at least three days of use from this battery.

Finding a 12v compact battery isn't a problem the problem is finding one with enough amps to power the CPAP as it draws more amps when it starts up. My Remstar seems to need at least 5 amps to operate. The cigar lighter port allowed me to used the 12v cable I already had for my CPAP so no need to order anything else. The battery is heavy at 3lbs and brings my total CPAP/battery combo to 6lbs and change. A workable albeit heavy multi day backpacking solution.

The second runner up was the TalentCell Rechargeable 72W 132WH 12V/11000mAh This little unit is a gem. 12v, 6amps max and only 1.6lbs. The battery also came with a short cord that actually fit my CPAP machine! COOl! This battery would be great for a single overnight-er or for the person who's CPAP runs at a lower CFM thus not using as much juice. At 17CFM I was able to get 11 hours out of this unit. I could stretch it for a multi-day trip, but while 5 hours of sleep is fine when im home, I like to sleep in when camping. Would be a great 3lb solution for me.

My CPAP and battery hang in a zippered bag from the head end of the hammock RL using a mini biner that I have wrapped the RL so it doesn't move. I have also constructed a shorter power cord in an effort to decrease weight and improve packability. I'm working on a shortened air hose.

20170305_201123.jpg20170305_201322.jpg20170305_201551.jpg

20170203_190430.jpg
    Last edited by BigE94; 03-22-2017 at 13:24.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

• + New Posts